SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
wliu57

How to water young loquat tree in S. CA summer?

wliu57
16 years ago

Hi all,

I have killed two young loquat trees "champagne" in tree years in the S. CA's summer (Zone 10, or 22).

I planted the first one early spring in my front yard under the full sun and watered once a wk. It was dead in the summer.

Someone here suggested that I may not give enough water to help the tree against the S. CA's hot weather in summer.

I planted my second one in the back yard under the less sun than the front yard. And I put a patio umbrella over the tree to protect from the strongest sun in the summer. How did I watered it the first year? I couldn't remember. It survived first summer. The second summer (this year) here is hotter and lasts longer than ever before. I forgot to put the patio umbrella for the tree in the earlier summer (I did put the umbrella in the middle of the summer). I watered it every other day in the hottest days. However, in late summer it started to die. The new leaves curled (won't grow larger)and the edges of the old leaves became brown and finally died.

The professional people in Amstrong Garden Center said that I watered it too much. If that was the case, how to explain the reasons of my first one?

Yesterday, I got a new one, 5 G, ~1.5 feet tall. I will plant it onto the ground (back yard) in one or two wks.

How to water it? And were there any other steps I did wrong killed the two trees?

Please help... I love the loquat tree and like the fruits it give.

Thank you very much in advance!!!

Jim

Comment (1)

Sponsored
Kitchen Kraft
Average rating: 4.8 out of 5 stars39 Reviews
Ohio's Kitchen Design Showroom |11x Best of Houzz 2014 - 2022