SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
webuser_288508758

Is my builder gouging me?? 200k+ price change?

HU-288508758
3 years ago

I'm in Western NC working with a builder on a new custom home. We have had the builder on several calls throughout the architect and design phase to make sure we were staying within our budget. Our builder provided a high/low estimate between 550k and 615k (mid December 2020). Our design hasn't changed since then but now (March 2021) the pricing is coming back at $800k+ (over 200k difference). The builder has a phenomenal reputation. Is this because all contractors and trades are charging more due to demand, the market as a whole is shifting, or is it because we are being gouged by our builder? The only thing that has really changed is that just prior to getting the pricing back we officially put in the pricing deposit with the builder to move forward. We know lumber prices are likely $20-30k of the difference... And other materials have generally gone up as well. Our home is 3400sqft but only 500sqft of 1300sqft (total 2500sqft finished) in basement will be heated and cooled after the build.
Thank you in advance!

Comments (26)