SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
originalpinkmountain

The big yucky project is going down! (deck redo)

l pinkmountain
3 years ago
last modified: 3 years ago

I have hated the deck on this house since my parents bought and moved into it in 2004. Hubs and I have lived here since 2017 and my hatred has grown exponentially. We put off changing it partly due to it being something my father is heavily invested in emotionally and at 89 he doesn't do well with changes to his old house. it's not been a huge problem since we don't know how long we'll be staying here and were only too happy to make minimal changes . . . but we spend too much time outside looking at the hideous thing to put it off any longer. Plus, my retired husband used to build decks for a living so he is only too happy to have at it. We had a contest tonight to see who hated the old deck more . . . it was a tie. So anyway, joy of joys we are going to give it a makeover! If we were for sure staying we'd tear it off, we mostly use it just as a grilling platform due to lots of mosquitoes in the yard most of the time. So I'm thinking sort of an outdoor food growing/prep space that doesn't impede the view which is of a river. It's adjacent to a screened in porch where we do most of the living stuff.

Here's a photo. Since that picture was taken, the Bradford pear that is overwhelming the house on the right side, (your right), has been taken down. Planned spot someday for maybe an arbor where the path along the side of the house comes out to the back . . . where the circle is we put in a fire pit that we love, which also serves as a dry well to absorb some rainwater. The maroon cherry bushes in front of the deck have been removed and relocated . . .

Here is a photo from the dining room looking out onto the deck. That ugly reddish stuff is rubber pavers my dad put over the wood deck. That is what we particularly HATE. They are gone, hubs pulled them off today. All they did was harbor dirt and mildew and dampness. Surprisingly, the wood underneath is still solid. Plans for the deck include removal of all the red paint, and staining the wood a natural clear stain, removing the horizontal bars and replacing them with either cable or wire fencing so we will feel less like we are in jail and can see the view of the river better. We'll replace the lattice with groundhog proofing and then something wood to match the deck wood. I'm not sure I'll do much additional landscaping this year as right out of the photo view on the left is a huge oak tree with a big shade garden project underneath that I am working on, along with a lot of re-landscaping along our creek and elsewhere in the back yard.

As for some advice and feedback, I'm trying to figure out how to "decorate" the new deck. We have a redwood picnic table that is for food prep. the grill and grill cover go out there, and a redwood picnic table bench. The only other thing I want to put out there are some terra cotta planters with herbs and maybe some salad greens. On the left side we hang a hummingbird feeder and I'm toying with putting our wind chime on the opposite end, springing for some fancy shepherd's crooks. The deck will be natural wood color although the porch floor is still painted barn red. The picnic table and bench are also painted barn red . . . The cables or wires on the deck will be silver, we can't really afford the black ones. That's the most expensive part, the cable. But I'll be happy to get out of jail. The less expensive option is to use metal fencing but that gives a more enclosed feel . . . MUCH cheaper though.

I also want to get a rug out there, because it is slippery. Does anyone have experience with an outdoor all season rug? I'd love some suggestions . . .

Comments (18)