SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
pudgeder

Porch Pirate......

pudgeder
3 years ago

Yesterday morning, I was in a meeting when my Blink camera alert when off.

Drive way camera shows a silver truck pulling in and then there was some one on our porch ringing the door bell. He was at the front door for at least 3 or 4 minutes.

I thought "oh he has the wrong house."

The alerts are just stacking up like crazy, as we have 4 cameras.

I immediately call husband, and ask if he's expecting anyone. NOPE.

Then another alert and I check it, and I see the guy on the porch of our barn (across the driveway) grabbing gas cans. I call DH again and tell him "well someone is there and he's STEALING STUFF."

He leaves his office, heads that way, 30 minute drive, I call the sheriff's office and report it.

Deputy comes out, by now of course the guy is long gone, DH shows him the videos, Deputy gives us an email as where to send these videos to, and leaves a form for us to fill out. In the mean while, I posted 3 of the videos on the Nextdoor website and on Facebook and a couple of groups on FB.

All day long on ND people are looking & commenting on the thread. The thief's face is extremely clear as he looked right at the camera. He didn't KNOW he was looking at it, but he did. About 1/2 through the day, some woman posts that the truck he drove belonged to her.

She sends me a private message, saying she'd "loaned it to a friend" and if I wanted to meet with her, she'd get my stuff back, and assured me it would never happen again.

Another person on ND sends me a message with a link to the thief's facebook page. Right there for the whole world to see is his photo and it looks EXACTLY like the guy on my front porch.

So this woman's FRIEND is her HUSBAND.

....you still with me?? There's more.....

Hubs & I discuss this situation. On one hand we want this person punished, on the other I want the cast iron antique boot scrapers that have been passed down through my family back! Yep, that's what else he stole. Didn't have any Amazon package to take.

We called the sheriffs office and asked them to send a deputy out show we can show him the "confession" of sorts and find out how to handle it. Of course, he preferred we pursue charges, but he wasn't the deputy assigned to this incident. But he understood, I printed out all the pages of the ND conversations, and he took them back to the office.

While that deputy was here, I messaged the woman back, and told her we'd meet her at the Sheriffs office parking lot, that we hadn't filed a report yet-- but we wanted a public and safe place.

Of course, never heard anything back.

It's a misdemeanor offense, and I'm sure the DA has bigger fish to fry on something as small as this.

I figure my boot scrapers are gone for good. :(

.....Oh wait... there's more......

This morning the Deputy in charge of our case called me. He could NOT believe that someone had contacted me saying they had the items. LOL I couldn't either, really, but no one said that criminals were smart. He said the DA is definitely interested in cases like this.

He asked me to send him all the videos I had, about 9 or 10. He said not to give up hope, I might get my belongings back. He said he was actively pursuing this case!

Hope springs eternal!!!

But in reality, by now I figure my scrapers are either at the bottom of a pond or melted for scrap iron.

(destroying evidence and all)

If you made it through this long post, I'm impressed! LOL

Comments (19)

Sponsored
Hope Restoration & General Contracting
Average rating: 4.7 out of 5 stars35 Reviews
Columbus Design-Build, Kitchen & Bath Remodeling, Historic Renovations