SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
tropidale

Replacing 40 yr old Kenmore

tropidale
3 years ago

I have attempted several times in the past to upgrade from my 40 year old Kenmore tank, but gave up after reading horror stories about the newer machines being garbage. But the old Kenmore has a very awkward case and is heavy and clunky for moving from closet to table. I have even dropped the sucker out of the case and watched it skitter across the room once or twice. It's pretty beat up, although still sews ok, but has only a few different stitches Truth be told, I would like a few new features such as speed control, some more decorative stitches (not a ton of them needed...) needle threader, and needle up and down, and with a handle for easy pick up. Or at least a few of those features. So today, I headed out to several places to try and kick tires. Checked out Husqvarna Viking Emerald 118, Jenome Sewist 721, and a surprisingly affordable Juki HZL-80HP-A. The Viking was demo-ed for me, and seemed nice, but the sales person really couldn't tell me anything about what was under the hood and she couldn't get the needle threader to work. I could have threaded 20 manually, before she managed to do one with the contraption. At another dealer, I tried the Jenome and with 6 layers of simple cotton, it sounded like it was about to "throw a rod" trying to get through the layers, and never did start without a lot of prodding. Even the sales person had the same problem. My old clunker doesn't sound that bad! The Juki ran very nicely over multiple layers of true denim, and I was ready to pull out my wallet. But when I asked for their return policy, she indicated that they did not allow returns, only trade ups. That put me off and I put my wallet away. I could deal with that for a $200 machine. But if I am going to spend $450, I want recourse if it is not what I hoped for. Even a restocking charge would have been acceptable. Now I am again discouraged. Reading reviews is frustrating because there are lovers and haters of almost every machine. Are there no places that I can sit down and try on multiple machines without half being broken or having to buy on faith with no recourse if I am not happy? Does anyone have recommendation for a metal frame, good solid machine with a few baubles and pretties to sweeten the pot? My budget max is $500, but only if it has features that justify. Otherwise I would probably go for a basic mechanical with more basic stitches for a few hundred less. I am a fairly casual sewer but often my projects are upholstery or vinyl. And, being a shorty, I do a lot of hemming, jeans included, So I would like a machine that can handle that reasonably well, like my Kenmore, but still have more ease of lifting and more updates. Being newly retired, it is certainly possible that I will do more sewing now, (and maybe a shiny new machine that is easier to manage might foster that!) but I don't want to go big, only to have it sit in the closet. I can always upgrade later if the bug bites. What surprised me, as I shopped-- many of the features on today's sewing machines are much the same as 40 years ago. I wasn't expecting that. I was expecting a whole bunch of new stuff. Not so much. Am I rambling now? I think I am. But I think you have the gist of my needs and wants. I just don't want to buy a machine that is worse than what I have. Thanks for any ideas or counsel.

Dale

Comments (10)

Sponsored
The Creative Kitchen Company
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars47 Reviews
Franklin County's Kitchen Remodeling and Refacing Professional