SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
elmerjfudd

Covid vaccine - what kind of facility did you or will you get it at?

Elmer J Fudd
3 years ago
last modified: 3 years ago

I'm curious to know for those who have received or are scheduled for this, what facilities or locations were available for you to go to? In my state, large parking lots of attractions and sports venues (Disneyland, other theme parks, football and baseball stadiums), at colleges and fairgrounds, and others, have been commonly used in the more populated areas. Also pharmacies (both in drug stores and grocery stores). And some public health clinic locations, which tend to be on the smallish side. Did you have a choice or preference for your own personal convenience or other reasons, or did you take what was available?

Comments (77)

• OutsidePlaying
    3 years ago

Mine was in a portion of a clinic about 30 minutes from home, operated by part of a regional hospital system.

DH gets his first one this Friday and will drive about 50 minutes from home. It will be in a church facility, administered by physicians/nurses from the same regional hospital system, but different town.

• raee_gw zone 5b-6a Ohio
    3 years ago

I got (and will get #2) at a local hospital system's corporate building, next to their largest hospital. I was able to sign up and also confirm that I would be there on the day, on line. Free parking in the garage. They had the first floor dedicated to the vaccinations. I was very impressed with how well run this site was. They had people tasked solely with helping wheelchair & walker clients, others stationed in the post -injection waiting area to observe and make the next appointment, lots of good directional signs, people also stationed to direct clients, people cleaning seats as soon as they were vacated, easily visible digital clocks. We were given number tickets on arrival (just like at a deli) and there were digital signs showing the next number to go up to an open injection giver - and a person on the PA also announcing the numbers. No standing in line.

• Related Discussions

Did you experience any side effects after the Shingrix vaccine?

Q

Comments (312)
    Yay! Glad you are getting the second shot. And always good to be prepared for feeling a little down a day or two after a vaccine if you can. After a strong response to the first, my second was nothing unusual (little arm soreness? I remember the first -- not the second. LOL). I hope you have the same. I strongly encourage anyone who has reservations about a second shot to get it. My feeling is that if you had a strong reaction, you are EXACTLY who benefits most from and may need the vaccine, including the second dose, the most. If you still had a strong immunity to the virus and were likely to hold the virus at bay over the years, it doesn't seem your body would have such a strong response. Seeing my husband's pain for months and my cousin worrying about her husband possibly going blind was enough for me. I'll get a third shot if they ever decide it is needed....
    ...See More

Would you participate in a Covid vaccine trial?

Q

Comments (28)
    I would totally do it, if I qualified. I would love to help our country on the road back to normal! I don’t think I would qualify for an efficacy study, though. I think in my area they were looking for people who might have a really good chance of being exposed (i.e. college students, teachers, etc.) Since I don’t work outside of the home, and I live in a little town with low numbers...I don’t think I’m the best candidate.
    ...See More

Any side effects from your COVID vaccine?

Q

Comments (27)
    The first shot I had sore injection site, my hip hurt, and swollen lymph nodes for a day. The second shot no swollen lymph nodes, but I ached all over for two days. But I have reactions to everything I take. Several other co-workers had NO reactions either time. Most people feel few side effects. A small percentage do. I would do it all over again if it means a lesser, or non, reaction to getting COVID. A temporary pain for long term protection!!! PSA: do NOT take pain medication before this vaccine. After is ok. It's common practice for other vaccines, but not for this one. Several sites will give you the information, but here's one link (https://www.aarp.org/health/drugs-supplements/info-2021/pain-relievers-covid-vaccine.html) I work in medical research.
    ...See More

Those that had Covid and received their vaccines, question

Q

Comments (16)
    Judy, with all the friends, family, acquaintances who have had shots and such varied reports of how they might have felt - I think it's impossible to anticipate how one might react to first or second shots or which manufacturer ;0) Everyone's trying to be helpful in achieving high numbers of vaccinating, and the truth is we just don't know, it's all over the board. My sis had no reaction at all to her second Pfizer and painted her living room. My mother (94 next month) did not even complain of sore arm - with either shot. We were a little 'iffy' with the second shot for one day but nothing to really complain about. And, why 'we' when we are a couple by contract, not related by blood. My sis will typically have more of a reaction to a vaccine than I do (i.e. shingles vac), or a med of any kind might affect her more, and she breezed through her Covid shots. While I thought I did well, I wouldn't say 'breezed'.... Best of luck to you, and I hope you have very minor reactions. Keep in mind its worth it, you are adding a heavy layer of protection for yourself and for those around you.
    ...See More
  • terilyn
    3 years ago

I got mine at a drive through high school football stadium, husband got his at the NFL stadium, also drive through. Got locations that were available at the time.

• sushipup1
    3 years ago

Community college gym. Administered by county health department. Well done. The small drug stores were really hard to sign up for, since they were only doing a few per day. At our site, there were 8 stations for recording info, then 8 shot stations. And a seat on the bleachers for 15 minutes. The sign-up had 8 slots available for every 5 minutes, but they didn't follow that too closely. No real line, it moved quickly.

But we're still getting only about 5000 doses per week. For a county of 830,000 population.

• morz8 - Washington Coast
    3 years ago

We got ours very quietly with no notice (word of mouth) at a little community clinic we hadn't even known was in a small nearby town. Walk in status. Jan 20th. They were welcoming, gracious, kind. Our second dose was delayed a few days due to a winter weather related shortage but still well within the recommended 42 day window. My impression was that they are providing an important community service, I was impressed with the efficiency.

• carolb_w_fl_coastal_9b
    3 years ago

I wish we had drive through here. Mine was at a new-ish community health center - a former supermarket , large open space like an auditorium with a waiting area. People line up outside and are processed pretty quickly. Appointments are made in 15 minute increments. There were 4 stations. And a seating area beyond that where you waited post vaccination.

I am not comfortable being around so many strangers or inside for so long. Glad the first one's done.

Taking my mom tomorrow for her second shot at another facility - I think it's a former school/corporate center about 25 minutes away. Same procedure; line up outside get in & out fairly rapidly. She has to stay for 30 minutes, though. I only had to wait 15, but then I'm not 90.

• Fun2BHere
    3 years ago

Rite-Aid pharmacy. I was prepared to go to one of the superpod sites, but was never able to get an appointment. I was delighted to be able to go to a nearby pharmacy instead.

• Rose Pekelnicky
    3 years ago

I got my shot from a large hospital in the city near me. They had a building that was purchased to become a billing center but they made it a vaccine clinic for now. Appointments are required and there is distancing, masks are required. Tomorrow I go for my second Pfizer dose. I like the location. Easy to drive to and a nice parking lot. The weather in my area is not conducive to a drive thru clinic at this time of year.

• Alisande
    3 years ago

Supermarket pharmacy. Both shots were scheduled for Saturdays, when the store was crowded. A friend who had a similar experience said being in the midst of all those people made her feel as though she was at a festival. I, on the other hand, felt uncomfortable in that situation. For a year I hadn't set foot in a supermarket.

However, when I was directed to the beer department following my first shot and asked to wait 15 minutes, I took advantage of the location and bought a 6-pack of IPA for my (adult) son. It had been so long since I bought any beer, I couldn't remember any of his favorites until I scanned the display.

Incidentally, the pharmacist who administered the second shot said he recommends that people take Tylenol before the shot to minimize the reaction. I told I'd read not to do that, as pain relievers could diminish the effectiveness of the vaccine when taken before the shot. Instead, it is best to wait at least 3 hours afterward. He dismissed what I said, insisting pain relievers had no impact on the vaccine. So I guess he's still dispensing bad advice.

• sal 60 Hanzlik
    3 years ago

We got our first one at a hospital and it went smoothly. The second one was at a church and that also went smoothly. What impressed me is we got 3 emails reminding us of the second shot and than a thank you after.

• Kathsgrdn
    3 years ago

I got mine through work, at the hospital I used to work at. I made my appointment about an hour before I had to be at work across town. It was our only option. They allowed parking in the parking garage during this time, which they don't normally do because it's pretty limited and they normally reserve it for the patients. It was easy and quick.

• mojomom
    3 years ago

DH and I both got ours at the local medical center. It was quick and very well organized. By the time DD’s number came up, the county was running a weekend vaccine clinic at a local church that had the space and facilities needed. Her experience was also quick and efficient. One local pharmacy has also been offering vaccines to those eligible from early on. Just recently Walgreen and at least one other chain has been offering vaccines. We are in a relatively small ski resort town (approximately 14,000 full time residents).

• gmatx zone 6
    3 years ago

DH and I received our first shot (Moderna) at a CVS Pharmacy two weeks ago. Our second shots will be given the last week of this month. I sincerely dread getting it (second shot) as I had the worst headache I have ever had in my life starting that evening after getting the shot and continued all the next day until early evening - nothing eased it. It was my neck that hurt from the base of my skull to about shoulder level (C1-C7). I can only speculate that because I had COVID back in December, the shot triggered a stronger reaction. DH also was laid out about 24 hours but he didn't have a headache, just extremely tired and weak.

• bragu_DSM 5
    3 years ago

county public health office. reception area (3 chairs) ... screening office ... injection office ... back to reception area with a 15 min timer. moderna.

• lily316
    3 years ago

I got mine at a local grocery store and both times I was the only one getting the shot. Husband got his at another grocery store in another town. Our daughter got us signed up after a frustrating time.

• floral_uk z.8/9 SW UK
    3 years ago

If one gets vaccinated at a pharmacy how do they arrange the 15 minute wait afterwards? And do they have medically qualified staff on hand? When I had mine a woman fainted. I dread to think what would have happened if she hadn’t been in a controlled environment and there hadn’t been medical attention immediately available.

• Michele
    3 years ago

My mother received the Pfizer at her doctor’s office. The first dose on 1/20. Such a great day!

My brother, his OH and two friends at a senior center, my husband at Walgreens. They all have just received their first dose of Moderna. I’m still waiting to be eligible.

• User
    3 years ago

I'm still waiting for all phases to become available so my husband and I can get ours at the same time, rather than go twice. I'll just be making an appointment at a drugstore for ours. I think all phases start in a week in Alberta. I'm in no rush at all. Our numbers have always been very low and we never have people over anyway.

• LoneJack Zn 6a, KC
    3 years ago

floral - most pharmacies here have urgent care clinics. A good portion of their business is administering vaccines like flu, shingles, and now covid. They have small waiting areas with chairs where people can stay for the 15 minute wait period. They are not high volume.

• JoanMN
    3 years ago

Ours was through the county department of health. 34,000 people were ahead of us. But we finally got to have it, at a big mall. They had it set up very well. We get the second one next week. Never been so excited to get a needle in my arm!

Medicare sent me an email saying to take my Medicare card, Humana said to take their card. The Publix site said to bring 2 proofs that we live here, even if seasonally. But the county said all we needed was a state id, and they didn't care what state it was from, either.

• vgkg Z-7 Va
    3 years ago

At CVS, quick and professional.

"If one gets vaccinated at a pharmacy how do they arrange the 15 minute wait afterwards?"

As mentioned above we were seated in a small waiting area and given a pocket timer set for 15 minutes, everyone was masked of course. If no adverse reactions were observed then we were free to leave once the timer went off. CVS assigned appt times so that there were fewer than 5 people waiting at any given time.

• happy2b…gw
    3 years ago

My husband and I received both doses of vaccine provided by the county at the county fairgrounds. In and out in less 30 minutes.

• Richard (Vero Beach, Florida)
    3 years ago

At the fairgrounds they pointed to an area to park and told me to wait 15 minutes and if I experience a reaction, to blow my horn. (Assuming I could have?)

I waited what "felt" like 15 minutes, saw a car that parked beside me leaving, so I left.

Some cars seemed to wait 15 seconds, 2 minutes, 15 minutes, some just drove on out through the gate.

An honor system fail?

It seemed like there were fewer people there for the second shot but maybe the line just moved faster.

But unfortunately, too many people may be opting out:

"As of March 12th, 18,444 individuals have registered with the County's
    waitlist system. A total of 7,120 appointments have been scheduled and
    4,342 individuals have opted out of the waitlist system." (
    source)

Hopefully those opting out found a more convenient location and will still get vaccinated. But a quick search doesn't point me to a pharmacy or anywhere else that has available appointments.

As I was snaking through the queue yesterday I was looking at the Ferris Wheel and other carnival rides they had set up for the Firefighter's Fair that starts today. <sarcasm>No worries though, they had signs saying wear your mask, social distance, sanitize hands often, etc. I'm sure all the little kiddies pushing, shoving and running from ride to ride will do exactly that. </sarcasm>

I don't know if they're giving vaccines today or not (appears they are) but if they are, perhaps they should have two lines. One line to reduce the spread of Covid19, the other to increase it:

• jupidupi
    3 years ago

We were back home in Manhattan for my husband's second shot when they announced that the age limit would be lowered the following day. I was up at midnight scheduling my shot for the next morning. I could have chosen any of about 15 places. I chose a hospital within walking distance, where they had dedicated an entire floor for doing vaccinations, with about 20 stations. Everything moved very quickly.

• Sisters in faith
    3 years ago

At our local hospital. A special clinic was set up in the cafeteria. Quick and easy.

• honibaker
    3 years ago

Walgreens. Very easy process to pick two dates on their website, and (if you like), complete the patient info/consent form with your doctor's name/address and insurance info on line. I did that, printed it out and brought to my appointments, so there was NO waiting. No crowds, no stress, very impressive.

I did have side effects after the 2nd shot (fever, chills, headache, nausea), but didn't mind at all!

• Elizabeth
    3 years ago

I got my second Moderna at the hospital clinic today. Very well organized. As soon as I filled out the paperwork, I was told to go in the room with the shots; then sent to a waiting area and told what time I could leave. Seems there was a shot every two minutes and we all flowed though quickly.

Hoping for no side effects.

• joann_fl
    3 years ago

I got mine today at the health department. So far so good.

• aok27502
    3 years ago

I unexpectedly got my first Moderna shot this morning at a local pharmacy. DH heard that they were scheduling anyone, so I called. Elapsed time from call to jab, one hour. They received 100 doses more than they were expecting, so they were stabbing anyone to avoid waste. They have the process down, I was in the store 30 minutes, including the 15 minutes in time-out.

• sheilajoyce_gw
    3 years ago

We got ours at a local private university and were very happy with the whole procedure there. We had an offer from our doctors medical group, but we waited for this location through the county registration because it was so close and had such great reviews.

• jewels_ks
    3 years ago

I work for a school district so I got one at our administration office which use to be a school. I got Moderna and was in and out in 23 minutes.I get my second shot on 3/31. My son has allergies so he had to wait 30 minutes after his shot, where I had to wait 15. My dh got his yesterday at our old, main library.

• C Marlin
    3 years ago

I went to Disneyland, everyone was nice and quick it was a very efficient setup. In and out in about twenty minutes.

• cyn427 (z. 7, N. VA)
    3 years ago

I got my first one at our local middle school (not being used due to virtual schooling) and the second in a closed store that the city used for vaccines. My husband received both of his at a grocery store. Both were easy and efficient.

• graywings123
    3 years ago

I received my shots at the local hospital that put together a very well run system of pre-registering on line for a time, driving up, registering with cell number, then sitting in car until I received a text message to walk in. It was great for me, but I know this type of system fails the luddites and vehicle-less people in the community.

• Jasdip
    3 years ago

There are some large facilities (a factory is donating space), a doctor's clinic, and some other places. The clinic asks that you only arrive 5-10 minutes before your app't so there isn't a lineup, and you wait in your car. They'll text you when it's your turn.

I spoke with my pharmacist and he is going to be giving the vaccine, I'm hoping to be able to get mine there if he's able to do it when my time comes.

We're still in the over 80 age group. I'm going to get the astra one that is for the 60-64 age group.

• Elmer J Fudd
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Further to Lindsey's comment, people we know who are Kaiser patients both in the Bay Area and in SoCal got frustrated waiting to hear from Kaiser and so went to sites open to the general public for their vaccine doses. Kaiser always seems to find a way to underperform, compared to other providers, and that seems to be the case with its Covid vaccine efforts.

The Sutter Health group practice in my area is the Palo Alto Medical Foundation (PAMF). Several people we know are similarly p-off at them too. Same story, they went to public sites rather than wait.

• share_oh
    3 years ago

Getting my first one next week at a drive thru set up by the county health dept. My dh got his at Sam's Club.

• chloebud
    3 years ago

Local college for us. It was well organized and easy.

• HU-178658043
    3 years ago

I got DW an appointment at Walgreen's.

DD got hers via a medical services van at her job.

I was getting frustrated trying to get an appointment for myself, and losing a lot of sleep doing so, but got a call from a friend to go to the community center as they had a lot of no-shows so an appointment wasn't needed.

I got a call from Walgreens this evening to come in right away for a shot. They had some vaccine left over and I had signed up for their wait list when I took DW in for hers.

• always_beezee
    3 years ago

Meijer Supermarket Pharmacy. Get my second shot next week. Same place, same time. Moderna.

• pekemom
    3 years ago

At the mall, drive through..both times, Pfizer. (In our 70's)

• pudgeder
    3 years ago

Locally owned pharmacy. They had a great set up -- all properly spaced!

• grapefruit1_ar
    3 years ago

DH and I got ours at the same time at a large medical facility about 10 miles away. We registered online and showed our ID upon arrival. It was perfectly run in every way. We feel very fortunate.

• Annegriet
    3 years ago

I got mine through the county and it was in a huge gym with a lot of windy lines. It moved fairly quickly. Maybe 45 minute start to finish each time.

• jakkom
    3 years ago

We're Kaiser members, altho they suggest signing up with the county as well and just taking the first appt that comes up. We're both over 65 so just got our 2nd shots with Kaiser.

Takes a bit of standing in line, but they're pretty efficient about it overall. No worse than waiting for a flu shot at peak times, LOL.

One volunteer gives her own speech in the after-shot waiting area. I was told this but my spouse, who went on a much more crowded weekend, did NOT get told this by other volunteers working that day:

SAVE THAT WHITE CARD!

Even if you get a shot from Kaiser or Blue Shield (or wherever), this is a federal vaccination program.

This card is the ONLY proof you will have that you have been partially/fully vaccinated. Zip, nada, nothing else. If you lose it, it CANNOT be replaced. There is no federal identification database - V-safe, the CDC's cellphone app (which is strictly voluntary sign-up), only tracks side effects per mfg type/batch # for statistical purposes.

Thus, even tho we got our shots through Kaiser (showing our membership cards etc.) our assigned GPs were not involved nor aware of our vaccinations. Due to HIPAA regulations and the fact this is a federal program, Kaiser cannot issue any card replacement for its members. I would assume it is the same for any Blue Shield recipients, et. al.

The volunteer suggested taking a photo of front and back of the card with your cellphone camera, so it's easily accessible. She keeps her card with her passport, in a safe place.

I thought this was useful info, so hope it's of help to others.

• bragu_DSM 5
    3 years ago

papers please ...

• Elmer J Fudd
    Original Author
    3 years ago

jakkom, I don't think the situation is that dire or dramatic.

HIPAA has to do with privacy and unauthorized third party disclosures. Authorized third party disclosures are of course permitted. With respect to your own health records, you're not a third party. I can't imagine what the person who told you that had in mind and maybe there is something to it beyond what I understand but I've often heard HIPAA used as an excuse by folks who don't want to do something or aren't sure and don't want to spend the effort to find out. Something that's in YOUR Kaiser record is available to you. If they're saying they don't want it, that's something different. Get your advice from your doctor's office or clinic, not from a volunteer or someone giving injections.

I obtained my two doses at a pharmacy in the region of my second home where I was spending some time. That's not where my primary care physician is. I scanned the card (as a way to keep a safe, backed-up copy) and sent a copy of the scan by email to my doc for my file. Should my own copy become inaccessible to me, I can ask my doctor's office to send me back a copy of the file I sent them. There would be no issue, it's MY medical record. .

If my understanding is wrong in some way, I welcome a correction.

• WalnutCreek Zone 7b/8a
    3 years ago

Received my first Moderna injection in February and am scheduled for my second injection tomorrow. The location is a Senior Center being staffed/administered by Baylor, Scott, and White which has designated the Senior Center as a HUB. A few days from now my daughter will receive her second injection. Then two weeks from that time, we plan a big grocery shopping trip to our favorite grocery store which is about 1/2 hour away and is full of treasures. We have not been in a store in over a year, so are truly excited about it. Of course, we will still wear masks and practice social distancing and take all precautions.

• raee_gw zone 5b-6a Ohio
    3 years ago

No, Elmer, you are correct. HIPAA absolutely does not apply to this situation. Information sharing between agencies and health care providers is not forbidden nor dependent upon consent when it is for the purpose of continuity of care.

Furthermore, were you not asked if you agreed to have your vaccination added to the registry? That is a database that would be accessible to your HCPs. This is not a new concept - pneumonia vaccinations have been registered for many years, with the patient's consent.

My HCP's online chart system (MyChart) obtained my vaccination info automatically because I got it through that hospital/HCP's system, but I could have added it manually if not, just as I did my other recent vaccines (Tdap, Shingles etc). I'm surprised that having gotten your vax from Kaiser, that it wouldn't have automatically been added to your record.

These online registries and records do not fully replace having a physical proof of vaccination handy, so it is good advice to make a copy and/or scan for your home records. Say one of the vaccines turns out to be ineffective against an emerging variant that is becoming a major problem - you would want to know which vaccine you got.