SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
webuser_164090330

Is it crazy to convert the breakfast area into a sitting area

Debra
3 years ago

Hi,

We are a family of four (a teenager and 8 year old) and we hardly ever use our breakfast table except for when we're doing a school project. 99% of the times we end up eating at the peninsula in our kitchen. We also have an 8 seater long rectangular table in the formal dining area. So now I'm thinking do we even need the breakfast table. Would it be a bad idea to change it to small sitting area off the kitchen instead? So we can hang out there everyday for snacks or coffee and stuff and if we have company over people are always hanging out near the peninsula anyway so this way the sitting area would give a nice flow for guests to sit and chat and also be able to look into the kitchen. Cause no matter how hard I try people just don't want to leave the kitchen and the area off it!

Attaching some pics. The first two are of my house and the next one is the grey sofa I'm considering to put there instead. I created a makeshift space based on stuff I had lying around just to get an idea (I'm crazy I know). So the rug on the floor is roughly the size of the sofa that I could put there (60-65 inches long and 26-30 inches deep) and then two accent chairs and the white ottoman would be a small table. For furniture I was thinking mid century modern so as to keep the items light and not bulky (since the area is small).

Thoughts? Thank you for reading my long post!

Comments (30)