SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
ashley_dodd69

Breakfast Area Help

Southern Bell
5 years ago

What would make this space pull together besides a area round rug? This is our breakfast area and we do majoirty of our eating here. The chairs and table are new.
Pics are from all angles.

Comments (29)

• Anne Duke
    5 years ago
    Don’t do a round rug, get a square or rectangular one that allows the chairs to be on it completely when they are pulled out. Consider a very low pile, flat weave and/or natural fiber. It looks like a beverage center behind the table? Corral things on trays and in decorative but easy to use containers. Something colorful/cheery on the wall above the sideboard instead of the chalkboards. Roman shades instead of curtains could work well. It’s a really pretty room already.
  • Related Discussions

Area rug help for breakfast table

Q

Comments (9)
    First of all, is it possible to turn the table so that the long side is facing forward? I'm also wondering why you have a plastic cover on one of the chairs. The rug needs to be larger than what you have there now so that you can pull the chairs out and still have them on the rug. A small rug also does not look attractive. It's unfortunate that the colors of the chair lock you into a carpet color that is gray, which doesn't look very good with your brown wood floors. Is there a chance that could be changed?
    ...See More

help! breakfast area lighting to coordinate with island pendants

Q

Comments (6)
    It is a challenge because the pendants are such an impactful element side by side and in such close proximity to your breakfast table you need to find something that doesn't compete with what you already have. I would add another material like glass so the area doesn't feel to heavy. https://www.wayfair.com/lighting/hd0/thorne-modern-5-light-kitchen-island-pendant-l6087-k~trpt2405.html?curpage=4&sku=TRPT2405&refid=GX263428761104-TRPT2405_24715957_24715958 https://www.wayfair.com/lighting/pdp/birch-lane-astoria-1-light-schoolhouse-pendant-bl3637.html
    ...See More

Need help with breakfast nook/dining area furniture

Q

Comments (0)
    I have this small dining area adjacent to the kitchen where I’ve had for 3 years this black Ikea piece for my toddlers toys, finally putting everything in his room but not sure what to place there, ideas please? Thank you!
    ...See More

Please need help & ideas how to decorate our small breakfast area

Q

Comments (5)
    I think it's lovely just as it is. Adding anything else to the wall will create a busy, cluttered look in my opinion. The eye needs a place to "rest", and you've got that now with the current configuration. Also, I like your existing rug and think it works well with the other elements.
    ...See More
  • Southern Bell
    Original Author
    5 years ago
    Hi Bluebell, the centerpiece is the center for the winter season. I may add a few pick from Michael's but not sure. Also there is no lighting over the table it's just the pendants over the island that were capture in the picture.
  • Southern Bell
    Original Author
    5 years ago
    I plan on putting barstools at the island but not dead set on it.
  • Southern Bell
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Thank you Ann

That side bar is actually apart of the kitchen
    Here a picture is attached below.
    Since its winter, we are using it for our tea and cocoa station. When spring comes it would be removed and cleared out. I actually like your idea for spring.

• Southern Bell
    Original Author
    5 years ago

The are canvas cafe signs. I love them so much, I will try to see what other places can I put it.

• User
    5 years ago
    last modified: 5 years ago

I'm curious as to why there two different curtain lengths. It's a lovely kitchen, but it's very neutral. A bowl of apples, colorful linens, a teapot, etc... would be nice additions.

• PRO
    Door Corner
    5 years ago

Beautiful! Perhaps a low hanging light fixture to brighten the eating area, the rug and a touch of color near the window. Very nice and comfortable looking.

• Southern Bell
    Original Author
    5 years ago
    Hi lil,

I was planning to make that a sitting nook with pillows. I do close the curtains at night and by them being short they do not look funny by being poked out from the bottom because of the seating built in bench.
  • Southern Bell
    Original Author
    5 years ago
    HI Door Corner,

We just had this home built and it was completed oct 31, 2018. I dont think this space needs anymore lights. WIth the cann lighting, the under cabinet lighting, the pendants it's actually too bright. I honestly dont even use all those lights because they are so bright. Needless to say I will not be wiring any additional lighting in this area. If I were to, it would have been done during our pre construction meeting when we deciding on placement of electrical.
  • User
    5 years ago

Another vote for a rectangular rug instead of round.

• PRO
    BeverlyFLADeziner
    5 years ago

Turn the table a 1/4 turn like you see in the plan below. It will make the room more interesting.

The space needs more contrast so select some drapes that offer you contrast. Doesn't have to be solid fabric.

Too bad your trim is not bright white. It would help your walls. I would have also painted the windows frames bright white.

The are needs an interesting chandelier over the table.

The chairs look too large for the size of the table. I would have selected a 48" or 54" table top. Undersizing the table doesn't allow you to select a larger enough fixture to complement the space of the area.

• J J
    5 years ago
    following
  • Southern Bell
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Hi Beverly ,
    The walls are san Francisco fog grey. The trim is very white let me grab another picture. It just doesn't seem white because the lighting is warm. The bulbs will be change out to white because I absolutely hate warm led bulbs. What other neutral curtains do you suggest? We just built this home and it was completed in Oct 2018 and we spent so much money on window treatments in this home, I'm just over the windows now. But the curtains are more texture and I would love to keep them. We had to cover 21 windows immediately in the home since we did not get blinds through the builder. Unexpected expense that didn't cross our minds when building a home. Nor did it cross our minds when we realize how much money and physical word we had to shell out to cover them. Lesson learned!

Also I know it seems like a light is over the breakfast area but it isnt. That is the island pendant in the picture. The island lights will be changed out because I cannot stand any of the lighting in this home. There was no way for us to upgrade because the builder didnt offer that. So we decided once we closed, we were replacing all the light fixtures in the main area.

• Cheryl Smith
    5 years ago

Turn the table and chairs the way beverly suggested. I would get a square rug. It allows room enough to pull out the chairs completely in a smaller footprint. I also think the table is dwarfed by the chairs.

• PRO
    Beth H. :
    5 years ago

cute space. I have to agree about the pendant light fixture over the table. it's easy enough to tie into the wiring that's already there, so it shouldn't be a big undertaking.

It would add some needed interest, along with a rug, to a neutral space.

the other thing I would do is lose the drapes and get blinds. you can still have privacy without the bulkiness.

examples of roman style blinds. I just think something like this, or Silhouette blinds, even woven woods, would add more style to your window.

here are examples of lighting, rug and some blinds. just look at the overall effect each adds to the space.

for the rug, I would bring something in w/a bit of color that coordinates w/the rest of your decor.

these are a jute or sisal, which are neutral, but would work.

I love this chandelier or any of the beaded options, and think it would make a welcome addition over your table.

or, even a single pendant light would work

cowhide rug

• ShadyWillowFarm
    5 years ago
    I think the room needs a bit more color, but will admit its my personal preference! Maybe a rug with some blues and greens, then you can have fun with curtains and seasonal accessories. But very pretty room and there are some great suggestions to tweak things!
  • Southern Bell
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Y'all have given me some new ideas. I may try to sell the middle curtain panels and also try getting some roman shades if, it is in our budget. We have a whole 2800 sq ft house to furnish and its overwhelming. lol

what about something like this? The chairs are actually a linen texture grey like the curtains. The lighting just turns everything tan and warm.

• Southern Bell
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Hi Beth,

there is no wiring or light over the breakfast table. Just recess lighting. the pendants are actually over the island. Here is a better picture. We only had recess lighting wired into the breakfast area.

• Southern Bell
    Original Author
    5 years ago
    I have been eyeing a juke rug for the longest lol
  • PRO
    BeverlyFLADeziner
    5 years ago

CONTRASTING ACCENTS!!!!

Here are some options for drapery panels. I don't understand why your drapery panels are obviously hung in front of your window seat, yet they are two different lengths.

• Southern Bell
    Original Author
    5 years ago
    I was going to make it a sitting nook lol. if I would have had the inner panels the same lenght as the end panels, it would have been in the way. I may go price some roman shades if they are in our budget. I think the last time we checked as soon as we moved in, they were way more expensive then blinds because of the size of the windows. I will definitely keep the end panels.
  • Southern Bell
    Original Author
    5 years ago
    Also the ceiling slops that, that is why we didnt place them on the slope ceiling. It would have looked weird.
  • Southern Bell
    Original Author
    5 years ago

the slopping of the ceiling

• PRO
    Beth H. :
    5 years ago

I see how you have the lights now. what I meant about wiring, is the electrician would just junction off the wiring that's already there. not a big deal to make another hole over the table and hang a light. just an idea to keep in mind should you desire a change.

and I do like that woven wood blind you asked about. I think that would look nice with a touch of color.

• prescottp
    5 years ago
    Beth H ... I love that round table with the table top, on your first picture above. Could you provide a link?
  • Southern Bell
    Original Author
    5 years ago

HI Beverly,

The reason I didn't hang the drapes closer to the ceiling because my ceiling is 13ft tall. I would have needed drapes at least 145 to 155 inches which you cannot find at your local store. I would have had to go custom which would have cost me thousands. Building a brand new home, and having to furnish over 20 window, close to 2800 sq ft was out of the question. I also had to get the home ready for the holidays; since we closed on the home in October and I had family coming to stay for Thanksgiving and Christmas. So we had to place money elsewhere, that weren't going to custom drapes. Therefore; I found 108 inch panels and decided to hang the curtains to where they touch the top of the trim but not dragging on the floor. I also had to make sure the curtains weren't so short lining up with the window seat. If I could have found some panels off the shelf around that length, the panels would have been hung closer to the ceiling. As first time home buyers, renting all the time, we never thought to price in drapes or thought window size matter. We thought we could just go to the store and buy off he shelf blinds and curtains. Some of my windows inside the home are not standard sizes you find in the store. Home Depot and Lowes do not even carry many of the windows without special order. Also the blinds I do have were a headache to get and cut. Lesson learned, just go with the builder blinds. Not to mention these drapes cost me a pretty penny themselves.

• prescottp
    5 years ago
    @Beth H ...I mean the marble top round table. Thx!
  • PRO
    Beth H. :
    5 years ago
Sponsored
Custom Home Works
Average rating: 4.6 out of 5 stars10 Reviews
Franklin County's Award-Winning Design, Build and Remodeling Expert