SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
mark_ackerley73

Running a new gas line for range/oven

Mark Ackerley
3 years ago

Hi all, homeowner here who wants to add a gas range/oven to my kitchen, which will require running a new line. Here are the facts...

- Total pressure delivered by gas company to house: 2psi

- Existing gas appliances: fireplace (30k btu, rarely used), furnace (60k btu), water heater (34k btu)

- Distance from meter to manifold: 15 feet

- Distance from manifold to appliances: fireplace (70~ feet), furnace (5 feet), water heater (15 feet)

- All of the above appliances are run with 1/2 inch csst

- Gas range/oven I hope to install: https://bit.ly/3bs3G9S which has 63,500 btu (+ whatever the oven needs, which isn't stated in the link, but I assume is around 15k)

QUESTIONS:

1. Can I run a 3/4 inch line up to 100 feet around the outside of the house, then back inside to where the range will be? The other options is going through the attic for about 75 feet, but that will be difficult due to limited accessibility up there.
  2. If the answer to Q1 is 'yes', can I put a tee fitting right at the gas meter house line and start the exterior line there? Or, does it need to be run from the manifold, which is in the attic?
  3. Whether I run the line outside for 100 feet, or in the attic for 75 feet, is 3/4 inch csst the right size? If that is bigger than necessary, will the regulator in the range bring the pressure to the right level?

Comments (11)