SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
scallis_gw

Is my new gas range oven vent really supposed to heat my home?!

scallis
13 years ago

Please if you have any suggestions for improving my plight, I'd love to hear from you. We have a new Frigidaire Gallery 30" slide-in gas/ convection range. We replaced a very nice Kitchenaid that we loved, it was just the wrong color and type after we redid our kitchen. The kitchenaid was perhaps 8 years old.

The new Frigidaire expels so much air and heat from the oven vent (located near the rear of the cooktop) that it's like a blast furnace. Our 14x20 kitchen is sweltering after only minutes. It literally generates a "hot breeze" above the stovetop. A pot of water on the stove grate above the vent will boil in no time, I think faster than if it had been on a burner. While heating our entire house could be considered a 'feature' -- we would really rather be able to inhabit the kitchen without it being 90 degrees, for cooking, hanging out etc. We have an exhaust fan, but it's pretty loud, and when we have a big cooking project going (break, pizza, stew, etc) it's not pleasant having the fan running for a couple hours steady.

Is this another case of 'they don't make 'em like they used to'? Or is there something that can be done about this, short of returning the range? (like some kind of damper on the vent or something?)

Our previous range did not expel nearly this much air/heat, and I believe it was just as powerful.

Are we doomed to be banished from our kitchen whenever we need to run the oven, or to just not use the oven?

Thanks for any advice or info...

Comments (19)