SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
makingheadlines

Anyone access new Sharp Convection Microwave Drawer with Air Fryer

We've been hearing that Sharp is about to release a microwave drawer with convection and air frying and are really interested. Has anyone been able to access it or even just try it yet? Eager to hear how it works and when it may be available. Thanks!

Comments (60)

• chispa
    2 years ago

Yes, I installed one in the house we just built, so I started using it 2 months ago. The microwave works great. I turned off "wave open", because when my parents were visiting, my mother kept walking past it and accidentally setting off the sensor and opening the drawer 😁.

This week was the first time I tried the air fryer function. The air fryer menu seems to be limited to certain items, but I had these little savory tarts that said they could be reheated in an air fryer, so I gave it a go.

The tarts came out just fine ... but darn ... the MW took forever to preheat. I didn't keep exact time, but it was around 30 minutes, which is way too long for a small sized appliance.

A few days later I wanted a few more of the tarts and used my Miele CSO XXL on convection and it preheated to 350F in less than 10 minutes.

I have 2 ovens (36" range and the Miele CSO), so I will probably not be using the MW drawer as an oven again, except for parties/holidays where I might need a third oven. Good to know in advance that it needs a long preheat time.

Would be interested to hear from anyone else to see if they are seeing similar preheat times?

• wdccruise
    2 years ago
    last modified: 2 years ago

@chispa: "the MW took forever to preheat. I didn't keep exact time, but it was around 30 minutes..."

That's not a surprise. The Sharp is a 120 volt appliance whose most powerful heater is 1500 watts. In contrast (for example), the 240-volt Fulgor Milano F7DSPD24S1 combo oven has a 2300-watt convection heater, 53% higher.

• Related Discussions

Difference between advantium and convection microwave

Q

Comments (25)
    Well, it was this, I was talking about: The biggest difference is the speed feature. That uses a combination of heated air convection, halogen, and microwaves to cook things fast, and still have them be "normally" cooked. That is, browned, heated from the outside, etc. To do toast, I do not use the Speed Function, instead I select the grill function, I wait for the speed oven to preheat, then pop the bread slices in, set for about 2 minutes, as I recall, flip the bread after about 1 min. It comes out pretty good, albeit not as fast as a regular toaster but we just don't eat enough toast to buy a regular toaster. One would think the Advantium could be used the same way for toast and perhaps even the Miele, just don't try to "Speed cook it" per say. Gary
    ...See More

New deeper Sharp microwave drawer

Q

Comments (28)
    I wouldn't worry -- get what you want. You might need to find another vendor who has it. I was looking at something on Amazon today -- I can get it now elsewhere, but Amazon is saying ships in 1-2 months. Worst case -- the microwave is the one appliance that you don't have to sweat over if you have to wait. You can generally make do or use a small countertop one until you get it in. We had put a countertop model into the built-in space in our old kitchen and kept it through the remodel. If ours hadn't been here when everything else was ready, I would have slid it into the cabinet for the drawer and used it as a temp. Won't you have one somewhere for your temp kitchen?
    ...See More

Miele 24" microwave on top of a 30" convection oven looking?

Q

Comments (12)
    In our case the microwave location improved ergonomics and function over the appliance arrangement prior to the update. As you can see from the photo above, the bottom of the microwave is a few inches above the counter height. Perhaps a bit higher than optimal but lower than the previous hood / microwave combo. The door opens down which means you have to reach across but it has not proven to be a problem other than it is a little less convenient to clean especially the back of the cavity. Our previous arrangement was 36" cooktop with microwave / vent combo over, and a double oven stack. We replaced the cooktop with a gas range, then the oven stack was replaced with the single wall oven and microwave. This gave us a larger gas oven in the range, the microwave went to the old location of the upper oven with the new oven below. The combined height of the microwave + oven is less than the old dual oven which allowed for a larger storage drawer beneath. Plus a proper vent hood instead of the previous recirculating "vent" (ugh). I would definitely think that a microwave above a double oven stack would be too high. But we've been satisfied with it over the single wall oven and we use the microwave daily.
    ...See More

Do you have an air fryer?

Q

Comments (54)
    Murraysmom, I feel the same way about the book. I didn't expect the recipes to be quite so elaborate, but the book has lots of good information. Plus it's beautiful! My DIL made the Cheeseburger Slider Pockets last night. She's a vegetarian, but she said my son and grandson said they were great. She substituted ground turkey because that's what she had. I may try the sweet potato fries tonight. PS: I did try the sweet potato fries, and they were great! I gave up on the mandoline (that's my usual response to it), and cut them by hand. Tried to make them a uniform 1/4" but I'm sure the size varied a bit. Gave them only a slight spray of oil, which didn't get all the pieces, but that was okay. I cooked them a little longer in the second stage (400º) than the 10 minutes stated in the recipe. Really enjoyed them. I'll make the rest tomorrow.
    ...See More
  • HU-120794775
    last year

We purchased the new SHARP SMD2499FS micro/convection/air fry model in 2022 and were especially excited for the air fry mode...and are EXTREMELY DISSAPOINTED. Not only is the microwave only a 900 watt unit (i.e. not as powerful as most microwaves) but the convection and air fry modes are not what they are advertised to be. I'm currently trying to work with Sharp USA to understand what can be done, but at this time it seems to me that Sharp USA is advertising benefits that are not true. I could not be more disappointed in a $2200 appliance. HAS ANYONE ELSE HAD SIMILAR ISSUES WITH THIS MODEL?

• wdccruise
    last year

@HU-120794775: "the convection and air fry modes are not what they are advertised to be."

The spec sheet describes the product's features. What is listed there that the appliance is not capable of doing?

"I'm currently trying to work with Sharp USA to understand what can be done..."

What do you expect Sharp to do?

• HU-120794775
    last year

I expect SharpUSA to stand behind this $2200 product. In our several attempts, it ’s a horrible air fryer, yet the manual makes it sound like it works as advetised. Have you used it? id love to connect with other owners.

• wdccruise
    last year

@HU-120794775: "it ’s a horrible air fryer"

"Horrible" is subjective. If the oven pre-heats and heats using convection fans as described on page 30 of the manual, it's operating as described.

• chispa
    last year
    last modified: last year

I posted further up on the thread. We've been in the house 11 months now and have the Sharp MW w/air fryer. After my initial trial months ago I have never used it again for anything but MW. It just took too long to pre-heat.

Three weeks ago I spilled a cup full of hot tea right over the MW control panel and shorted most of it out. Service came 2 weeks later and the MW control panel had dried itself out and was working just fine! While the tech was here I asked about the air-fryer and oven modes and he confirmed that the pre-heat times were quite long. On a positive note the control panel is quite hardy!

Had I know that those features weren't that great, I would definitely have skipped this model and gotten just the MW version ... it would have allowed me a bigger drawer underneath!

• HU-120794775
    last year

@wdccruise Similar to what @chispa wrote, had I known that these features were extremely under welcoming (i.e. 'horrible' if you ask my wife) then we would never have spent the extra $$ on this MW/Conv/AirFry model. For example, it states in the manual on page 30 that it "toasts breads and bagels perfectly". IT DOES NOT. The photo on the left is from the $2200 Sharp SMD2499FS AFTER using the Toast menu AND then adding 3 additional minutes on Toast mode. The toast shown on the right in this photo is from our $20 toaster. Perhaps our model is defective but it it's not, Sharp is full of BS when it comes to the model SMD2499FS.

• chispa
    last year

@HU-120794775, I don't think we have defective models. Due to my service call, the tech went through every function and said everything was up to spec.

When I was looking at this model there was no information or reviews out there. At least this thread will give any future potential buyers some information to make a more informed decision.

• wdccruise
    last year

"For example, it states in the manual on page 30 that it "toasts breads and bagels perfectly". IT DOES NOT."

For toasting, it's not clear from the instructions (page 14) which rack is supposed to be used and whether it should be put in the lower or upper position. I'd try the Top Rack first in the lower position and then in the upper.

• HU-120794775
    last year

@wdccruise - Do you work for Sharp? I'm open to all assistance available...just curious. By the way, the "toast" I made was positioned in the top rack. Neither side was "toasted".

• wdccruise
    last year

Maybe it depends on the position of the Top Rack in the oven. Did you hold the button for Toast mode and select 5 (dark toast)?

• wdccruise
    last year

Apparently the oven "toasts" by blasting 450-degree air at the bread. Does the toast (and air inside the oven) feel really hot when you open the oven door?

• HU-120794775
    last year

@wdccruise - I selected 3 (medium) in Toast mode (exactly as described in the manual) AND then did it a second time with the same bread and it never "toasted". However, does it matter? If their product team is bold enough to say their appliance can toast bread - and toast it so specifically as medium or dark - shouldn't we expect as consumers that it's going to perform as advertised? I understand there will be some variables based on type of bread, density, etc but as we're learning, this model just doesn't live up to the hype Sharp has advertised as features and benefits. It's a bummer...I really hoped this was worth the money but what we seem to now own is a $2200 900 watt microwave.

• wdccruise
    last year

@HU-120794775: "However, does it matter?"

Of course it matters. You're unwilling to run tests (e.g., "Dark" setting, rack in different positions, toast & air temperature check) so you won't know what the appliance is capable of. You've reached your conclusion to be mad. OK.

• HU-120794775
    last year

On the contrary, I've run a lot of tests with great hope and anticipation. Unfortunately, none have passed. I'm not mad - but am very disappointed at the outcomes. @wdccruise, do you have one of these units? I'd love your insights on how it has performed for you. Much appreciated!

• wdccruise
    last year

@HU-120794775: "I've run a lot of tests..."

Oh, I didn't know that as you never described the results of any tests I suggested.

• HU-120794775
    last year

@chispa

I have reached out direct to Sharp USA and suggest you do the same. They need to hear more consumer feedback on this new top-of-the-line model.

SHARP Electronics Corporation

Phone: 1-800-BE-SHARP (1-800-237-4277)

Email: corpcmwo@sharpsec.com

• Claudia Bassler
    last year

I have this and have been happy. It is slower than dedicated appliances for these things but we needed counter space so we are happy with it. Toasting and speed roast work best w rack very top position and arching up to get closest to top. Microwave takes a little longer than our last one (breville) and we also noticed works best without a rack so we usually put rack on bottom arching down (upside down from above) as close enough. I do most of my baking with this bc there's just two of us and we have also baked two layers and been happy. For Christmas we used this and the double oven for cooking which meant enjoying the party. The air fryer (speed roast) performs like our old toaster oven w an air fryer setting (another breville) so probably not as good as the dedicated appliance but it's good enough for me.

I wish the app could control things better like remotely preheating the oven. It really is a lazily developed app. I wish they made an air fryer basket since their metalwear is microwave safe. That's my 2 cents. Owned it 9 mos now...

• eds322
    10 months ago

@HU-120794775 We also installed this appliance in our kitchen remodel. I reached out to the customer service line 5 times, and have asked to speak to somebody who actually knows the appliance. They end up reading to me the manual that I have been reading myself searching for an answer. I never used an air fryer and was looking forward to this product, but it does not actually work as an air fryer. So far I am disappointed

• wdccruise
    10 months ago
    last modified: 10 months ago

@eds322: "I never used an air fryer and was looking forward to this product, but it does not actually work as an air fryer."

If you've "never used an air fryer" how do you know that "it does not actually work as an air fryer"?

"the manual that I have been reading myself searching for an answer."

• The instructions.
    • Which rack to use and where to put it: page 14
    • How to turn on and select the Air Fry setting (1 of 4): page 30
    • List of Air Fry settings 1-4 (aka "Air Fry Chart"): page 30
  • eds322
    10 months ago

Yes that's all fine, but they don't tell you how to make adjustments for time and temperature for other foods. These are not foods I typically make. For example: how to air fry salmon?, how to air fry (cook) potato chips? What about vegetarian chicken nuggets when it has on the box a specific time and temperature? I tried to air fry a vegetarian "Korean Beefless Bulgogo" (a delicious Trader Joe's Product). Since I couldn't make my own air fry setting , I used a preset one, and removed it when it seemed cooked. It did not come crispy on the outside and moist in the inside. Is this what is meant by air fry?

• wdccruise
    9 months ago
    last modified: 9 months ago

"Yes that's all fine, but they don't tell you how to make adjustments for time and temperature for other foods."

"they don't tell you how to make adjustments for time and temperature for other foods" because the appliance can't do that. It has only four presets. The instructions state just that: "Air Fry uses convection fans for 4 preset convenience foods..."

• Cooking salmon? Instructions are on page 24, item #7.
    • "Bulgog[i]"? Following the instructions on the package, I would "place the Top Rack in the lower position" as instructed on page 14 and use Convection Bake Without Preset on page 27.

You seem to be fighting the appliance. You will lose. It can only do what it can do. Live with it.

• eds322
    9 months ago

Is air fry the same as convection? i was misled i thought this unit has air fry. telling me to ’live with it ’ dismisses my complaint that sharp advertising is misleading

• eds322
    9 months ago

In any event i am grateful for your suggestions

• wdccruise
    9 months ago

"i was misled i thought this unit has air fry."

instructions, page 30: "CONVECTION BAKE: Convection Bake automatically bakes breads, desserts, seafood, pizza and air fry foods."

"telling me to ’live with it ’ dismisses my complaint that sharp advertising is misleading"

Yup, because it's not misleading.

• eds322
    9 months ago

I will keep an open mind and give the suggestions a try. (tbc.)

• eds322
    9 months ago

How would I make (air fry) potato chips?

• wdccruise
    9 months ago

Search, "air fryer potato chips recipe".

• jenwinston73
    9 months ago

We are remodeling our kitchen and have planned to put a drawer microwave in our island. I am so disappointed to read these reviews as I was hoping to get rid of our toaster oven and clear off counter space. I don’t really see any other options for a MW drawer that has convection. I have heard good things about some of the combo units that go above the range. But just seems limited in the drawer. Anyone have positive feedback?

• eds322
    9 months ago

@HU-120794775 i agree 100%. i have been trying different methods with different foods .In the beginning i thought it was me somehow not understanding the appliance. The customer service line is totally deficient for Sharp. i loved my breville toaster oven but was advised to install this one for the look.

• eds322
    9 months ago

@wdccruise is there a method to pop popcorn if i want to use kernels (not prepackaged)? i tried with my microwave popper, but nothing happened. what setting should i try?

• wdccruise
    9 months ago

@HU-120794775: "who are you, anyhow? Based on your profile you have made over 7000 posts on Houzz and most seem to represent the manufacturers POV"

I just research, try to figure things out, think logically, and don't overreact.

"Why are you constantly defending this product that overpromises and underdelivers in real-world situations?"

I just read the instructions to understand the appliance's features and limitations. You could have done that before you bought it. Then you would have understood, for example, that the air-fry setting has only four options. Don't blame me for your lack of due diligence.

"First off, the microwave is only 900 watts..."

Yup, it's right there at the top of the spec sheet.

"It's a beautiful unit once installed -- the look of it is exactly what we hoped for during our remodel..."

Sounds like appearance was your only criteria for selecting the appliance. Oops.

-----

@eds322: "is there a method to pop popcorn if i want to use kernels (not prepackaged)?"

Steps to Make Homemade Microwave Popcorn*

1. Measure popcorn kernels into the bag. Pour 1/4 cup of kernels into a brown paper lunch bag.
    2. Fold over the top. Firmly crease the seam so that it stays closed.
    3. Microwave for two to four minutes on high. Watch out for the time between pops and when they slow to about two seconds, your popcorn is ready.
    4. Transfer the popcorn to a bowl. Top with meltedbutter or oil and sprinkled with salt.

*https://www.thekitchn.com/how-to-make-popcorn-in-the-microwave-227332

• eds322
    9 months ago

@wdccruise. On page 10 of the manual : Information you need to know about food - It specifically says DON'T pop popcorn in regular brown bags or glass bowls. Do you have any other recomendations specifically for this machine? I'm not looking for a recipe, I'm just looking for some help with using my new appliance.

• wdccruise
    9 months ago

@eds322: "It specifically says DON'T pop popcorn in regular brown bags or glass bowls."

The follow the DO instruction on that page, "Use specially bagged popcorn for the microwave."

• eds322
    9 months ago

so can I only use the prepackaged commercially sold popcorn with chemicals and a lot of sodium? Or is there another way?

• Helen
    9 months ago

@eds322 There are silicone popper that are designed for the microwave oven - I can't imagine there would be issues with those since there is no possibiity of glass shattering.

For the most part the commercially bagged popcorn contains ingredients which make it less than a healthy snack. I didn't like the results for the brown paper method which I used in my counter microwave - this was before I got a Sharp drawer microwave.

In my experience the best relatively healthy popcorn is made in a counter top machine which has an arm that moves in a circular direction. You use a tiny amount of oil on the bottom. Mine was light and easily stored in a closet or wherever when not in use,

• eds322
    9 months ago

I have a plastic popcorn maker that goes in the microwave that worked great in my cheap dorm room type microwave. I put it in the microwave drawer and nothing popped..nada!

• wdccruise
    9 months ago

@Helen: "For the most part the commercially bagged popcorn contains ingredients which make it less than a healthy snack."

Ingredients in Orville Redenbacher's Naturals Simply Salted Microwave Popcorn: "Whole Grain Popping Corn, Palm Oil, Salt, Mixed Tocopherols (Vitamin E for freshness)"

• eds322
    9 months ago

Exactly ..unhealthy palm oil and excessive sodium. This makes a healthy grain in to something not so wholesome, plus more expensive... may as well buy the popcorn already popped in a bag. Getting back to my original query... I guess the answer is no.

• Helen
    9 months ago

Manu people avoid palm oil because of the hirrendous impact cultivation has on the ecosystem. It is also a saturated fat which some people try to limit

I wouod prefer my satirated fat in the form of melted butter😂

What is the problem with palm oil? Palm oil has been and continues to be a major driver of deforestation of some of the world's most biodiverse forests, destroying the habitat of already endangered species like the Orangutan, pygmy elephant and Sumatran rhino.

• wdccruise
    9 months ago

Jeez. Just put some oil in a pot with a few popcorn kernels; heat; when those kernels pop, add the rest; shake pot occasionally; when the popping comes to a near halt, turn off the heat. Feel virtuous: arteries, forests and orangutans were all saved!

• An Bat
    7 months ago

@jenwinston73 did you ever find a convection microwave solution for your remodel? I'm in the same boat now and stuggling to find a good solution and it's holding up my remodel.

I really want to find a combo that can be used for a microwave and toaster oven that I can build into a cabinet and clear some space on my counter. Anyone found anything you are happy with?

• jenwinston73
    7 months ago

An Bat - no I did not. It just didn’t seem like the combo units got good reviews. They are more expensive and everyone was saying how disappointed they were. I was specifically looking for a microwave drawer. I have heard some of the combo units that go above the stove are good. If you are open to that kind. I heard Kitchen aide makes a decent combo unit for above the stove. I’m getting a regular drawer microwave and will just have to accept the fact that I’ll still need my toaster oven. We use it all the time! Maybe some day they will perfect the drawer combos.

• Claudia Bassler
    7 months ago

@an bat I have the sharp microwave convection drawer and I actually love it. It essentially can do everything. I will say a dedicated air fryer probably functions better than any oven w air fry function. People probably don't pay attention to using the right rack for the job. Microwaving is more effective the closer to the floor the plate is. Toasting is the opposite. We had to consolidate microwave and toaster oven into one function and we have had the sharp for 2 yrs now and are still happy with it. But we don't act like it's the end of the world when it takes longer to toast something than a top loading toaster. We need more counter space and to have the different functions so that's the priority for us. I have to say for hosting gatherings the extra oven is awesome.

• HU-794876861
    6 months ago
    last modified: 6 months ago

Hi, I am a chef and cook a lot. I have a brand new Miele range, a whynter steam countertop oven in my pantry (which is fantastic, espcially for steaming) and I purchasee the sharp convection/air fry microwave drawer. The time it takes to reheat something is double what my last microwave was. I heated a bowl of soup and it took 8 minutes. I used the covection bake mode to cook 4 baked potatoes and after one hour,,,it still didn't cook them through. I had to use my miele range to finish them. I was so excited to purchase this microwave and now I'm dissapointed. I will call a tech next week to see if there is something wrong. It was a lot of money and the "cut out" in the cabinets are much larger than a standard microwave, so I feel kind of stuck now with this appliance. Huge Upset!

Also,,,,as I am reading comment I saw the post about not toasting as it should. I agree. One side gets toasted and you have to flip it over! Its not even and it's a pain in the $%^#$$%

• Alexis Gomez
    3 months ago

An Bat, As the owner of one of these Sharp lemons, I advise you run like the wind away from buying one. They are overpriced pieces of garbage. The microwave is very weak and it is (ours at least) is in constant need of repair. We have already had three replacements in a little over two years and our current one is now in need of repair. I regret buying ours. I keep hoping there will be a class action lawsuit against Sharp for selling this very expensive piece of junk.

• HU-120794775
    3 months ago

@AN BAT - This Sharp product is a massive disappointment and like @Alexis Gomez recently posted, run like the wind AWAY from buying it. If anyone on this thread is an attorney and wishes to start a class action lawsuit, please count me in. It was marketed with specific features and benefits (air fry, toasting, etc) - but in reality it's bait and switch. Sharp USA SMD2499FS product is awful and you can read all of these posts and see how many people feel the same way. If I could provide a product review, it would a 0 out of 10 - and that's being generous (based on how they market the features and benefits vs. how it actually performs).

• chispa
    3 months ago
    last modified: 3 months ago

We have been in our house exactly 2 years and also installed the Sharp convection/MW drawer. Wish I had just gone with the basic Sharp MW drawer. I tested it as a convection oven, and yes I used the correct trays/shelves/whatever! It took forever to pre-heat and then to cook, and the results were mediocre.

I accidentally spilled a cup full of tea over the MW keypad and it ended up drying and working fine after a few days. In the meantime I had called service, so he stopped by to confirm everything was good. When he was here I asked about the convection function and he said that he was hearing the same complaints and it was due to the low power of 120V unit. Most ovens are 240V. Luckily I didn't buy it thinking it would work as a second oven, as I have 2 ovens, but is just a waste of money and cabinet space.