SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
michael_burdett41

What thermostat (thermostats) should I use?

Michael Burdett
3 years ago

I currently have 2 thermostats, one above the other, controlling my ventless gas stove in the kitchen and the downstairs hot water heat. I have recently added an Alaska coal stove that is also thermostatic controlled to the downstairs and need to incorporate this into the same system. In doing the research I discovered that I liked that the Ecobee has remote sensors and works with multiple zones (I think I'm using this term correctly, I believe that the downstairs hot water, ventless gas stove, and coal stove would be considered 3 different zones???) but have discovered that the sensors don't directly control the heat in the zone and only average the temperature between the main unit and the sensor. Additionally, all three existing systems are 2 wire and if I'm correct have no R wire power source (both of the existing thermostats are battery operated and I am only aware of 2 wires for the coal stove?????). The two existing thermostats are located in the center downstairs room adjacent to both the kitchen and the room where the coal stove is and I have already run the wire for the coal stove to this location.

Should I invest in a transformer and provide 24 volts (???) to the location where the thermostats are located? Is there a cheaper or easier option? What thermostat should I get?

Can anyone please provide me some insight/wisdom into this situation, I am but a clueless homeowner completely new and ignorant to the complex ways of HVAC????

Comments (2)