SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
hapahaole

Could use some eyes on kitchen layout

hapahaole
3 years ago

Hi! It's time to update our original 1960's kitchen. It's been great, but I'm really excited not to have little wood shavings in my bowls from the wood drawers rubbing on their wood rails. We're keeping most everything in the same place since (1) our house is built on the slab, so it's $$ to move things around too much and (2) everything works mostly ok the way it is. I'd love some fresh eyes on this to see if there's something I'm missing.

The kitchen is 9' wide by 30' long from the door to the garage to the furthest point of the breakfast nook.

Looking to put in a 36" gas cooktop, double ovens (probably 30" but would be fine with smaller), probably a 42" built in refrigerator, side by side front loading washer/dryer

Walk through:

D02 is the door to the garage. On the left is a pantry that will have pull out shelves. Then I'll probably swap the fridge and double oven locations. Then there's counter, sink, dishwasher and more counter. Upper cabinets on both sides of the sink. Then breakfast nook with table that we use for most every meal (family of 5). I thought the built in bench would give us more room, but after playing with our table and some tape on the floor, I'm not sure if it helps.

On the right side of the kitchen is the front loading washer/dryer with a counter on top. W/D should be hidden with tuck away doors. Thinking if I had to pull something out of the oven or fridge, I could put it on top of that counter if needed. Then there's another pantry. We currently have a pantry there that opens on the longer side. I was thinking I could maybe put the microwave in there or other small appliance. Then we have a counter with an overhang for some friends to sit at. (No upper cabinets on this side of the kitchen). Then there's the gas cooktop and a fireplace. Yes, fireplace. It's actually sealed up from the outside, but the fireplace hole is still there, so I was debating painting the brick or tiling over it and using the hole to put a small appliance or shelves for cookbooks. It currently has a brick mantle that's a little lower than counter height that I want to blow out.

I thought about putting in a 48" range, but it's really tight trying to fit that in and a big hood. And it seemed maybe out of scale for the kitchen. Thought about moving the fridge down to the end of the run closer to the breakfast nook, but it would block off the view/light from the nook area.

Any thoughts? I'll try and post some pics of the current set up in the morning.

Thank you!

Comment (1)