SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
gritsnh63

To slide or not to slide. Help me decide. 10’ sliders

gritsnh63
3 years ago
last modified: 3 years ago

We are buying a 1952 home that has a MCM feel. There are two rooms with 10’ sliders that open onto an open porch. They allow lots of light and offer great views of the beautiful yard. They don’t function very well and I feel they limit furniture placement. I’ve considered three options to replace them and would like input (or suggestions I haven’t thought of ). We have lots of other upgrades that will be required so wanting to go with the more budget friendly option if possible.

Below are photos of one of the rooms with original sliders. Option 1 would be replace with similar doors but new and more efficient. Option 2 is to replace the 10’ slider with a more standard size where both sides open away from center and put window panels on either side (like second photo). Option 3 is to replace the entire opening with glass window panels and just have one swinging door like photo 3. (we wouldn’t take glass to ceiling like this photo but just fill existing opening). We don’t really want French doors but would consider that as 4th option. Look forward to your feedback.

Current slider

Idea of window panels with smaller slider in center.

Replacing with wall of window panels and swinging door.

Comments (13)