SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
reets22

Why so much hair??

seniorgal
3 years ago

I've been watching too much TV! Seems most men now have beards and most women have very long hair. Does that bother anyone else?

Comments (61)

• amylou321
    3 years ago
    last modified: 3 years ago

I guess others are more observant than I. To me it seems there are usually several trends going on, hair wise at the same time, some longer styles, some shorter styles, some in the middle. Right now it seems more like a color thing. Rainbow colors of hair in all different lengths seem to be a big thing right now. Not something I would do to my own hair, it just wouldn't suit me,but I have no true opinion on the trend itself. I couldn't imagine someone else's appearance choices like that driving me nuts. Why?

As for long hair on women, that is certainly nothing new or trendy is it?

• artemis_ma
    3 years ago

I rather like beards on men. Most beards appear attractive to me. Wish more men would have them, frankly. I haven't noticed women's hair being any different in length these days, but personally i'm simply growing mine out, since I feel that getting a haircut is not an essential activity these days.

seniorgal thanked artemis_ma
  • Related Discussions

Why were they wearing so MUCH perfume?

Q

Comments (8)
    Years ago, I read that you can only smell your own perfume for about 2 minutes. Your nose adjusts and then ignores that aroma. Because of that, many people literally cannot smell how much perfume or cologne or aftershave they have doused on. I worked with a lovely gal who had an awful [to me] tendency to apply too, too, too much. One day, when a co-worker asked why she was wearing so much (you could smell her from a 100 feet away), she looked surprised and said she thought she had forgotten to put any on! The capper came when she had to be hospitalized for a week; later she told us that she when she returned home, she could smell the perfume wafting from her apartment as soon as she got out of the elevator. That was a shock to her, but not to us. I think it's not just candles, pot pourri, and colognes... have you noticed a distinct increase in the aromic pervasiveness of soaps, shampoos, fabric 'fresheners', etc. being far stronger than before. For years I used 'Dove' bath soap. A year ago I picked up a package of the bars and, OMG, it smelled so strong I couldn't stand to have the wrapped package in the shopping cart. This is not a sudden change in me, but in the manufacturer's formulation. Ditto for several brand-name laundry detergents and softners. I'm told that as we age, we'll lose a great deal of our sense of smell. Apparently I haven't lost enough of it to enable a happy toleration of the increase in perfumeries.
    ...See More

Why does my hoya move around on it own so much?

Q

Comments (14)
    That is one great video indeed, MsGF! When I started reading the original post, I thought of this one (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dTljaIVseTc) - but I like your link even more. I have to constantly keep my hoyas away from things, including from growing straight into fluorescent light fixtures, which burn them on contact. What a bunch of grabby little things they are! I can see how this behavior can be called creepy, but I think of it as very smart, from evolutionary perspective. Plants that hold on to something tight have a much better chance of surviving and breeding, which of course is what evolution is all about.
    ...See More

hair dryers - why is it so darn difficult...

Q

Comments (4)
    Lindsey, I knew someone was going to suggest I buy another of the same brand that died. Wish I could. Unfortunately, I threw it out before I knew I was going to have so much trouble finding a replacement, and for the life of me can't remember who made it. Oh, well, I'll keep lookin' ... Jann
    ...See More

Why so much distress on Darlow's Enigma?

Q

Comments (15)
    Katyajini so sorry to see your Darlow’s. I am also extremely surprised because it really is the toughest rose here also. I had a terrible amount of aphids early spring that looked just like that in many of my roses and the did not bother Darlow’s enigma. I also did what rifis just recommended, a good strong wash several days in a row. I then saw lady bug larvae (they look like little black and orange monsters) in the area and backed off from spraying (a week later they were all gone). So check for lady bugs and their larvae, if they are around it will get better soon. I also have tried the diluted milk Vapor suggested and it has worked great for mildew. Soapy water also helps, but be careful of the temps.
    ...See More
  • Annie Deighnaugh
    3 years ago

There are times when men are growing beards for charity. Not sure how it works or who benefits, but I've seen a number of news casters grow beards at the same time, and then the beards disappear.

Perhaps covid and no haircuts is leading to longer hair on women. I know I've seen some amazing hair stripes where women weren't going for color touch ups.

I don't mind longer hair on women, but the style where the hair is curly and the ends are left straight or dangling just looks odd to me...like they forgot to style it. But whatever. It's just hair.

seniorgal thanked Annie Deighnaugh
  • arkansas girl
    3 years ago

I seldom watch TV and haven't noticed. But IRL I notice that a lot of men have these big long beards...personally just looking at the beard makes me nauseated. Not sure where this aversion to beards came from...but it is what it is. HA! The lady's hair trend that bothered me the most which is thankfully fading away is that duck bu** hairdo where it's long in the front and chopped up short in the back...looks ridiculous and do these ladies not have a mirror to look at themselves from a side view?...eeek! OH another lady's hair trend that bothers me greatly is seeing someone's bangs hanging in their eyes like they are literally poking into their eyeballs. Would drive me crazy and bothers me just to look at it.

seniorgal thanked arkansas girl
  • rob333 (zone 7b)
    3 years ago

I find it hard to believe that others think that someone is trying to draw attention to their chest with their hair? Moreover, I would think that we get poor enough treatment in the world, we would want to advocate for each other and help each other out.

I assume men are wearing beards now because of COVID.

Eventually, we'll get back to normal, but I would hope we will learn something in the meantime. Something stronger than deciding which appearances are bothersome.

seniorgal thanked rob333 (zone 7b)
  • Elizabeth
    3 years ago

I cannot understand the women on TV news shows ( not that the shows are worth watching anymore). The men are in suits and ties and the women look like they are in a nightclub. Heavy makeup, hair draped over one shoulder, low necklines and short short skirts. Why aren't they dressed like business professionals too? Do they need this kind of appeal to keep their jobs? I call them "News Barbies". they all look alike now.

seniorgal thanked Elizabeth
  • rob333 (zone 7b)
    3 years ago

News casters? I think it's probably pretty specific to the type of station. Which leads me to wonder what type of person watches them, not the person that is on the air. It just means they have a specific market.

• Uptown Gal
    3 years ago

I don't mind their long hair...don't want it on me. :) It does make me start

to twitch a bit when someone is constantly pushing their long hair back

away from their face or having their hands entangled in it somehow. The

facial hair doesn't bother me now. Used to, but I figure, "hey, if the guy

needs to hide his face for some reason, he knows better than I."

seniorgal thanked Uptown Gal
  • Michele
    3 years ago

Why the aversion to long hair? My mom and MIL definitely don’t like it. They view it as ok for younger women, but ridiculous on older gals. Like me 😉

I like long hair on women and some men. My husband tried it once ages ago 😬 It was NOT good. He keeps it short. Thankfully. Sort of a fifties look. Shorter on the sides, a little longer on top. I generally don’t like beards. Food and drink getting in there? Seems unsanitary.

Since last March I have cut hair. First my husband. He ordered a trimmer thingy. (The technical term). I have two daughters. I trimmed both of their ends a couple of times. I also helped my oldest with some color. I also trimmed my own once. It was getting way too long.

My mom? That was a problem. She likes her hair short. I made a total mess of it. 🤦‍♀️🤫 I couldn’t bring her to get her hair done. She’s 91 with heart issues.

I managed on my third try to fix it a bit. Thankfully, my strategy of not cutting too much at once helped. I figured I could always cut more if I needed to.

Sorry for the long blab, but why does long hair on women cause such an aversion?

“However, they present as well-educated, dignified news reporters.”

Is it the length of hair alone, or the overall “look”? My husband and I have discussed this. Men always must be in a suit and tie. The women look like they’re headed out on the town right after the broadcast.

seniorgal thanked Michele
  • Elizabeth
    3 years ago

DH and I watch the news over breakfast. His choice, not mine. I prefer reading the news. I just think that in this day and age that women shouldn't have to dress that way for the job.

I have no problem with long or short hair.

I have a friend in her early 70's who dyes her hair jet black. Much too harsh. It brings out the dark circles under her eyes and the dark lines around her mouth.

I am also not fond of long, flowing, curly blond locks on much older women. It seems like the long beachy waves look better on young women. IMO

seniorgal thanked Elizabeth
  • marilyn_c
    3 years ago

I have never given it any thought...........now that I think about it, no it doesn't bother me.

seniorgal thanked marilyn_c
  • roxanna7
    3 years ago

I just wish that (most/many) women would employ a hairbrush or comb more often, especially with longer hair. They look rather unkempt to me. Why is that a "look"??

seniorgal thanked roxanna7
  • graywings123
    3 years ago

I try to figure out whether they are using hair extensions.

seniorgal thanked graywings123
  • happy2b…gw
    3 years ago

I think some of the women are wearing hair extensions to make their hair fuller. Face masks and beards seem incompatible to me.

seniorgal thanked happy2b…gw
  • barbara_tpa
    3 years ago

My middle nephew's hair is now in a ponytail. My own is 1/2 day down my back. COVID.

seniorgal thanked barbara_tpa
  • nickel_kg
    3 years ago

bangs hanging in their eyes like they are literally poking into their eyeballs. -- that's me, and I hate it too! My last haircut was shortly before covid, a nice pixie cut. I hate to risk catching the virus for something as inconsequential (to me) as hair, so I've let it grow. DH likes it, but the front part is exactly in the "eyeball poking" stage. Bobby pins and hairbands abound. Oh well.

When I was 50 years younger, yes, there were many girls/women with short hair styles. The trend to every. single. female. having long hair started maybe 20 years ago -- an influence of that tv show "Friends"? Look at high school yearbooks for an overview of styles through the ages -- there is almost no variety now. Which makes me think that many girls are wanting to conform to the norm instead of doing their own thing, which yes does make me a little sad, but hardly ruins my day. It's like cars all being gray, white or black -- it's boring. No variety.

seniorgal thanked nickel_kg
  • terezosa / terriks
    3 years ago

Why would beards be a Covid thing? Men can shave at home. It's not like they need to go to the barber for a shave.

seniorgal thanked terezosa / terriks
  • rob333 (zone 7b)
    3 years ago

terriks,

I remember my husband letting it slide when or came to shaving while in vacation. He says he got tired of doing it, and it seemed like a good time to relax etiquette surrounding it. The age of COVID when a lot of us got stuck at home, hygiene seems to have gone by the wayside. There's a lot of sweatpants being worn to work these days, for instance 😋 at's all I meant when I said men quit shaving in the age of COVID

• anneliese32
    3 years ago

There are more things to worry about than hair length and beards, at least for me.

seniorgal thanked anneliese32
  • Michele
    3 years ago

Anneliese. I understand. It’s been a dreadful year. Personally I find some inconsequential topics a relief from the “real” stuff.

I hope you’re ok. I hope everyone’s ok. I, sometimes don’t feel like I’m doing that great. Especially since after the holidays. I was expecting to feel some kind of relief after my mom had her second dose of “you know”. (I hear that it’s a bad word around here). I just don’t. I feel like I’m running on fumes at this point. I’m just worn out. Physically, mentally and spiritually. I’m just exhausted in every single way.

• Uptown Gal
    3 years ago

Just checking the posts and read yours, Michele. Just came back to send you

a hug. I know exactly what you mean. Hang in there...try to get some rest

and do something just for yourself..Hugs

seniorgal thanked Uptown Gal
  • nicole___
    3 years ago

Michele (((hugs)))

I let my hair grown down to my waist. French braiding, that sort of thing. It's easy to maintain. A neighbor decided I was an American Indian. ha ha That's when I cut it. Too funny tho....

seniorgal thanked nicole___
  • nickel_kg
    3 years ago

agree with Uptown Gal -- better days are coming, ((Michele))

seniorgal thanked nickel_kg
  • maifleur03
    3 years ago

One of the things I have noticed is that the women with long hair the hair probably because of the use of various hair products does not look shiny and clean but just slightly funky. That bothers me more than that they have long hair and low cut tops and short skirts and look like the street walkers in the midtown area where I lived in my 20s. It appears that some have not noticed how women on the various news casts dress especially those that do weather.

seniorgal thanked maifleur03
  • yeonassky
    3 years ago

I'm so sorry Michelle. Sometimes after a crisis that's when we let ourselves give in to the exhaustion. Go very easy on yourself. Keep your electrolytes up, at least that helps me. I hope you feel relief soon. Hugs.

I am for probably the first and last moment of my life in step with everyone else. I have hair down to my waist and have had that forever. When I didn't have it down past to the tops of my legs. I think about cutting it but with a good conditioner I am so far happy with it. Not in style at all but that's my style. :-).

seniorgal thanked yeonassky
  • User
    3 years ago

What someone does or doesn't do with their hair isn't any of my business. A lot of people are not comfortable going to a salon right now so their hair is growing out. I trim my own although I could use a good cut but why pay $60 for a cut when I can trim for free? I don't like facial hair on men but it's their face and their business so it doesn't bother me.

Years ago, I worked with a young woman who had just turned 30 and was already 25% grey. Beautiful woman who up until about a year ago (she's now 55), had never coloured her hair. A customer said, "boy, you have a lot of grey hair!" as if she didn't know that because she must not own a mirror? She replied with, "yes I have.." and he said, "does it bother you?" because she's never heard of hair colour perhaps? She replied with, "no it doesn't bother me but it sure seems to bother you. Why?" He couldn't answer and left.

I was at work when a man who owned an optical shop inside our store came up to me. I was on the phone with my son, when the man thought he would be funny and pick at the few grey hairs I had. I swooshed his arm away. First: it's rude! and second: IT'S RUDE! When he did it a second time I put the phone down and he laughed. I yelled, "AT LEAST I HAVE HAIR!" He was bald. The customers in line all burst out laughing, he walked away with his tail between his legs.

How anyone wears their hair doesn't affect my life. Yes, I'll see someone with dirty messy hair and wonder if they own a shower or shampoo, but at the end of the day, it's not my hair. And right now: I need a shower and shampoo but I also need another coffee and coffee comes first. :)

seniorgal thanked User
  • breenthumb
    3 years ago

PO, Yes! I've wondered the same thing for a few years now. . Not a fan .

seniorgal thanked breenthumb
  • Rusty
    3 years ago

I'm wondering why so many are 'bothered' by Seniorgal's curiosity.

I think the beards and the long hair are just the current so-called 'style', nothing more, nothing less. It has come and it will go just as all the other fads have over the years.

Reasoning behind these fads? Who knows! Part of the herding instinct, I guess.

Rusty

seniorgal thanked Rusty
  • sjerin
    3 years ago

In a nutshell, it's all about the latest style. It bugs me too, Seniorgal, because the women with long, curled hair hanging in the front seem to be acutely aware of it.

seniorgal thanked sjerin
  • Lars
    3 years ago

Beards (or at least goatees) became popular in the mid 1990s - I think as a response to a popular male character in a movie, but I cannot remember which one. Anyway, it became a trend back then, and I thought it would fade away, but instead it became larger over time, although I did notice a lot of men shaving them off and then growing them again, as if they were unsure whether it was still in style or not.

In 2001 (I think) I grew a goatee for Halloween and shaved it off in November. I think it took me a couple of weeks to grow, and I dyed it turquoise for my costume:

I did not dye my hair, however.

I think some men grow beards or goatees because they have weak chins or because they think it enhances their face in some way, and in the 1990s, many grew them just because it was the trend. Today, I think it is now more just an option, and I think options are good. It's nice that one can have one or not have one and not have to be worried about whether it is trending or not. I do not think that they look good on all men, and they definitely require constant trimming to be attractive. I think it is easier to shave than to maintain a beard.

seniorgal thanked Lars
  • Indigo Rose
    3 years ago

I have long, straight hair just past my waist. For years now. I don't follow trends. I am well past retirement age. Just starting to get some grey streaks, just a tiny bit. Why so long? I like it. Easy upkeep, and apparently, I don't care if it offends anyone.

seniorgal thanked Indigo Rose
  • Embothrium
    3 years ago

Long hair is associated with sex and sexiness so some won't like it for that reason alone. Otherwise regarding any COVID impact on behavior I personally have not been going to a barber because of the now in addition seriously increasing virus danger. And look like it. With the last time I went to one the barber I had used for years (I also don't live in the same town anymore anyway) not having any protection on his face at all when I walked into his tiny shop. Followed by him not very quickly putting on only a spit guard to attend my hair.

Coincidentally a home services provider I had here yesterday mentioned he had already had COVID himself. Because his wife had continued to work in a hair salon, apparently brought it home to him and his son (she was the first of the three to become symptomatic).

seniorgal thanked Embothrium
  • terezosa / terriks
    3 years ago

A little levity for the hair topic 😅

seniorgal thanked terezosa / terriks
  • cyn427 (z. 7, N. VA)
    3 years ago

My hair has gotten quite long since we could not live normally with the COVID pandemic. My DIL continued to go to our hairdresser, but I have not risked it (I help watch their two-year-old and preemie twins. We just got emails from him saying that one of the stylists tested positive so they would be closed until the 24th. I cannot wait to get my second dose, but I will still wait for the haircut until all their people have been vaccinated as well. At this point, I pull my hair back or pin it up.

seniorgal thanked cyn427 (z. 7, N. VA)
  • Embothrium
    3 years ago

If you were a man you could change your name to Harry.

seniorgal thanked Embothrium
  • summersrhythm_z6a
    3 years ago

I had super long curly hair, just trimmed off 4" a month ago, it's to my chest now. It will grow back fast. Fish oil is the trick. If you ever want to try a long hair style, take fish oil, you don't have to wait for a long time. :-) Short hair is not my style, tried once in college, I felt something was missing, it just wasn't for me. If others dislike long hair, that's their problem, not mine. I love my hair. Lol I saw one lady in her 70's with a head of beautiful long silver hair walking on a beach one day, I knew I will be there one day just like her........one life on earth, be yourself.

seniorgal thanked summersrhythm_z6a
  • Bluebell66
    3 years ago

Doesn't bother me how other people wear their hair or beards. As someone with curly, not very manageable hair, I totally understand why some people wear their curly hair long. I think it's easier to manage (mine is, anyway) and you have more versatility.

seniorgal thanked Bluebell66
  • seniorgal
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Oh gosh, I just wanted something light to talk about. Didn't realize I would arouse such strong feelings. It's just hair for heaven's sake!

• lily316
    3 years ago

I always had long hair when I was younger but have worn a chin-length bob for years. I totally agree about the female broadcasters. The men are never casual, always wearing suits but the women look like they're going to a formal party with their hair cascading off one shoulder. As I said I love long hair on men and boys. I wore my son's hair long when he was a child and he later went to a shorter more professional style but now he's back to long hair again. Grandson as well has a full head of unruly curls which I love and a short beard. I do dislike the Letterman style beards though.

seniorgal thanked lily316
  • 1929Spanish-GW
    3 years ago

The shape of your face also has an impact on what looks best on you. My friends with longer, more narrow faces look better in shorter hair. With a round face and a pin-head, I look better in longer hair. So my hair has almost always been on the long side. Also, curly vs. straight hair can have an impact on how a certain length might look. I have the most fine, thin, straight boring hair ever.

Right now I'm avoiding the salon so I'm growing out bangs, color and hair which is almost to my waist. It's a trifecta that would make some of you shutter! When I go back to the salon I'll color, trim a little length to get back to healthy ends and haven't decided about bangs. I'll never go at, or above, my shoulders because my face just looks like a bowling ball.

seniorgal thanked 1929Spanish-GW
  • chisue
    3 years ago

IMO it's inappropriate for a woman newscaster or commentator to dress (and hairdress) like a cocktail waitress. It detracts from her credibility. Choose the image you want to project: Weather Bunny or serious professional.

As for men wearing facial hair, it needs to be well groomed. Scraggly hair is unattractive wherever it is growning, on the head or on the face, on a man or on a woman.

Funny, I was just thinking about this topic while watching a promo for a TV series set in the 19th Century. Women of that period would not be fluttering false eyelashes or tossing around free-flowing (or even *clean*) hair. Smiles would be closed-lipped, to hide dreadful teeth.

seniorgal thanked chisue
  • amylou321
    3 years ago

Women were also largely considered property. The good old days huh?

• jupidupi
    3 years ago

Oh, Lars, that picture is fabulous!

seniorgal thanked jupidupi
  • Michele
    3 years ago

Thanks for the words of encouragement. I send them right back. It’s been a long haul. For all of us.

Seniorgal, it’s funny about hair. I’ve noticed that before. It’s a touchy subject.

I remember having my hair cut super short when I started school. I hated it. I have never had shorter than shoulder length since. I usually braid it. It’s easy. I don’t fuss with it at all. I’m starting to see some silvery grey. I hope it comes in like my mother’s did. She had a silvery streak. People would ask if she had it professionally done. It looked interesting!

• lily316
    3 years ago

I think it depends on the station. Two of our local stations' women dress as they should in such a situation. They wear blouses and blazers or high-necked dresses. The local Sinclair station however has a different policy. Plunging necklines and sleeveless outfits no matter if it's below zero. Sorta like Fox.

seniorgal thanked lily316
  • lisa_fla
    3 years ago

I haven't go to the salon in a year. I've been tempted to look on you tube and maybe cut it.I don't know how I would even out the back though. Its longer than usual but I think it looks fine, Covid numbers are high here and i have no plans to get a haircut. DH bought a trimmer and does his own. I read the news online. Now I'm really curious to see newscasters! I once read the women on the weather shows buy their own wardrobe.

seniorgal thanked lisa_fla
  • ci_lantro
    3 years ago

I watch very little TV. Otherwise, I do notice if the women appear to be merchandizing...too short skirts, plunging necklines, excessive hair beyond believable (extensions, hairpieces, lace wigs), talon like nails. Particular aversion to 'hair playing'--constantly brushing it off their face. Center parts with excessive hair covering up their face, unbrushed hair...

With men, 'The Scruff' has been around so long, particularly here in the upper Midwest--I would assume because of our winter weather?, I don't mind it at all. I'm talking about maintained 'scruffs'. I really dislike full beards/ always have. Unsanitary is how I see them.

• signet_gw(6b)
    3 years ago

I personally love a beard , a full beard but well groomed and as for long hair on men I grew up in the 60's and 70's and love long hair on men as long as it is clean. I went into shock when the short hair craze came on. I hated it then and I hate it now . Especially the long top with the shaved to nothing sides UGH ! so ugly . Here is a silver fox .....omg .....https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5CCfkJffvko  I know he is going to cut it and I just cringe. He is so freaking gorgeous.

• chisue
    3 years ago

ci_lantro -- Oh, I love that: "Merchandising"!

Maybe the new commentator struggles to show she is more than just a pretty BRAIN, but also a (Double-You-Oh-M-A-N) WOMAN!

This may be a place where 'City' and 'Country' collide. I'm sure some of the male audience doesn't want to feel intimidated, so the little ruffles and hair-tossing put them at ease.

• lucillle
    3 years ago

Personally I love Jean-Luc's style. Also,I find the religious based hair styles of the male Haredim interesting, particularly the payot.

Sponsored
Winks Remodeling & Handyman Services
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars1 Review
Custom Craftsmanship & Construction Solutions in Franklin County