SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
jrb451

Credit Card Courtesy Agreements

jrb451
3 years ago

Last year, while dealing with a cancelled credit card, I became aware that VISA has “courtesy agreements” with certain companies to automatically provide them with your new credit card account number should you have to replace a card. I was told that this was to avoid service interruptions on recurring accounts.

I can understand this if it’s a service that you want to renew but what if it’s not?

For example, last year we took out a Sam’s Club membership using a card that was eventually hacked and that account cancelled. A couple of weeks ago I received an email from Sam’s that it was approaching the time for me to renew our membership and “To avoid an interruption in your membership, please update your payment information by Feb 12, 2021.”

We didn’t find that much value in our Sam’s membership and decided not to renew so we did nothing to update our payment information.

So, today I receive an email from Sam’s saying they renewed my membership using a VISA account number that I had not provided to them.

Why would a company say one thing and then do another? And, is anyone else bothered by the fact that your credit card company has this “agreement” with certain companies? Does the good outweigh the bad here?

Comments (23)

Sponsored
Dream Baths by Kitchen Kraft
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars12 Reviews
Your Custom Bath Designers & Remodelers in Columbus I 10X Best Houzz