What's for Dinner #390 2021

sleevendog (5a NY 6aNYC NL CA)

(I was hoping someone else would start this next thread)

Winter salads always welcome. Made a couple hours early....we nibbled. I had to keep snipping micro greens....that carrot is so dark, almost black. Veg drawer is stuffed.

SaveComment104Like
Comments (104)
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo

That looks like salad shaming,^^^😂....eat more raw veg!

We cold smoked Sunday. Two salmon fillets. Lots of cheese for a friend that makes a white cheddar style, ...grass fed organic...so we have 3 pounds, free, and gave back to him the other three. pounds Also gave him some fresh smoked mozzarella. (small farms are suffering but so many are finding local shares to subsidize their troubles)

Smoked salmon/veg heavy/pasta bake. Early week needed for next day lunches.

Not sure what happened to my 'post holiday miso brothy veg bowls'. Oh well.

At least all meals are veg heavy. One pot bake/easy clean-up. Good lunches.

Save    
neely

Delicious meals at the end of the last thread and above. I too like salmon cakes, I call them salmon patties.

Below

Chicken schnitzel (again) at our holiday place it is a good go to meat from the freezer.

Belly pork rasher oven roasted with ratatouille and roasties

2 Likes Save    
Jasdip

Lovely summer meal, Neely.

I like salmon patties as well, but I have trouble keeping them together when I flip them.

No pics this week, I bought a pizza earlier this week because Domino's has all of theirs on 1/2 price for the month of Feb. I'd never pay $20 for the large that I bought! Even at $10 it was meh, my own home-made is better.

So leftover pizza and pasta salads and other inconsequential meals this week.

Save    
nancyofnc

Jasdip - to flip patties put another spatula over the top to make like a cage to hold them.

I'd ordered ham steaks from grocery delivery and got ham slices. Good for sandwich - not so good heated in pan. Maybe I'll do roll-ups with cheese and celery or pickle. Didn't think to photo but found a lovely recipe for boiled macaroni, cooked and pureed butternut squash, parmesan, bechamel sauce with sage, nutmeg, and topped with wedges of Roma tomatoes, sprinkled with fresh breadcrumbs. Baked for 15 minutes. Was really delicious but probably would not photograph very well. Leftover cold for my breakfast this morning. Was still delicious.

Save    

The corn on the cob above looks so good. Look at those tomatoes. Envy.

My last salmon patties turned into mince. The few before were fine. (I did not have an egg)....but I've made crab cakes for years without egg. And cod cakes.

Steamed a half dozen eggs with one of those old timey expanding baskets in a sauce pan. Took one our early for a caesar salad dressing. Marinated the rest for lunches. Finally getting a grove-on prepping lunches when prepping dinner.

Rummaged for veg and added to the already hot steamer pot. Took some veg out early/firm for the salads with greens, egg, avocado. Caesar dressing.

Topped the pot with a pile of Swiss chard.

Miso/ginger veg bowl. (barely a dent in my crisper drawer)...side of edamame dumplings.

Save    
dcarch7 d c f l a s h 7 @ y a h o o . c o m

Just a simple meal.

Cod on a raft of white asparagus

dcarch

1 Like Save    
annie1992

sleevendog, Elery always likes the look of your salads, I know he wishes I'd make more. And, like you, my produce crispers are stuffed. Mother has been here for 10 days and it gets difficult to make 2 separate meals, but she will NOT eat vegetables and mostly assuredly not raw vegetables, LOL. I did get her to eat mashed butternut squash last night, so that was a win!

Neely, I've always called them "salmon patties" too, even when they were made with mackeral. Grandma often did that, mackeral was always a lot cheaper than salmon so we had that a lot more than we ever had salmon. I still iked them, though. And those tomatoes! I'm with sleevendog, just envious. I'll be starting plants in a couple of weeks, though, so it'll happen eventually.

Bragu, raisin bread for toast is always a good thing. I like mine with apple butter. Hey, it's a fruit! Kind of...

nancyofnc, the pasta sounds good, and I still have about 50 butternut squash in my back storeroom, gotta use those up. Some of my most flavorful meals aren't pretty, but they are still delicious!

dcarch, it's almost asparagus season. I haven't seen much of either white or green yet, but it'll be pretty soon. I like it so much I had to plant my own, LOL. Your slices of fruit look like little starfish, hitching a ride on a raft.

Jasdip, it must be contagious. Elery stopped and picked up Detroit style pizza from Jet's, I had to take Mother to get her first COVID vaccine dose. Last night I was astounded, Mother actually ate supper. Glazed ham, mashed butternut squash and au gratin potatoes!

The night before it was leftover lasagna and butternut squash, which Mother refused to eat the first time and refused to eat it again. I always try though, sometimes she'll refuse a meal the first time then happily eat it warmed up two days later. So, Elery and I had leftover lasagna and Mother had leftover soup.

Then she took a walk, she makes "laps" around the house with her constant companion. He loves to ride on the walker and it keeps her moving "giving the cat a ride" so it's good:

I made a batch of her favorite soup earlier in the week, potato cheese. Are you seeing a pattern here? Cheese and potatoes? She'll always eat them, one of the few things I can count on, although not particularly photogenic:

Tomorrow I've got to start using some of those vegetables, maybe a big pan of a variety, roasted...

Annie

1 Like Save    

My brown 'cow pie' follows an asparagus raft, 😂

When freezer shopping pays off. Needed a quick meal. 1/2 pint bone broth and 1/2 pint wild mushroom ragu. Pint of porcini risotto and pint of mixed grain. Baby black roasted garbanzos. Side salad.

Save    

Made my selections last night. Kinda perfect. Except for the double broccoli. If we re-select we risk loosing what was chosen. But add-ons can be checked for new items up until tomorrow night for my delivery date. Nice to plan ahead. I have three celery root ends started. One is in a pot and about 6 inches now. Bummer no lemons or avocados.

Save    
shambo

A perfect meal! I’d forgotten how much I loved bulgur wheat. Toasted in butter with a bit of onion and cooked in chicken broth. My mom use to make bulgur wheat pilafi regularly. I think it’s a Middle Eastern thing. I loved it so much that I started making it for myself when I was in college. But I hadn’t made it as a savory dish for quite a while. I finished off half of it in one sitting. Completed the meal with a salad and a chunk of brie.

Save    
Lynda (Zn9b/23 - Central CA Coast)

dcarch Beautiful meal - love the use of star fruit.

We are at our vacation home for the long weekend. We were here to take delivery of our last piece of furniture, a storage dining bench made with the same fabric I used to re-cover the chairs of my childhood dining set.

Today we visited one of our favorite local wineries. They had a live band and a taco truck. They are very family and dog friendly. Zac mostly behaved himself and DS enjoyed playing bocce ball with other kids.

Zac (on the SB wharf) loves traveling with us.

Dinner tonight was shrimp scampi with cous cous, shallots and sweet peppers.

We finished it up with SV individual cheesecakes with fresh blueberries and whipped cream. We get multiple crops of blueberries per year. These are the Emerald variety, which are quite prolific for us.

1 Like Save    
annie1992

sleevendog, our boxes are pretty similar. I also got the fennel, the spinach, the mixed head lettuce, broccoli, romaine, and collards in place of the swiss chard. I also got turnips because Elery loves them, cabbage, scallions, parsley and Anaheim peppers. Add ons were a couple of Cara Cara oranges and a couple of blood oranges, because I like both of those and usually can only get the standard naval oranges here. I also added some red cipollini onions and a head of romanesco, also not readily available here in February.

shambo, I like bulgur too, but I've mostly been cooking wheat berries, I have them for flour but I like them whole too. Your bulgur sounds really good, though, I think I'd like those flavors with my whole wheat berries, I'll have to give that a try. Thanks for reminding me!

Lynda, Zac looks like he's being a very good boy. Our dog, Molly, used to love to go places with us too, but now she's 13 and it makes her anxious. She still loves to go out and help with chores, though, and she's always up for a trip into town for ice cream. And your storage bench looks just like the idea my daughter has for her kitchen, her husband is supposed to be building it. It may take awhile, LOL. As always, your shrimp looks delicious.

Here we had a big pan of roasted vegetables, along with some cornflake breaded chicken thighs. Never bake an orphan, so I had to get both meat and vegetables into that oven, LOL. Elery had a poblano stuffed with brown rice and beans because I had a poblano that was going to go bad. I've got to get my crisper drawers cleaned out, my next Misfits box will be coming Tuesday or Wednesday. No pictures, it wasn't a pretty meal, but it tasted pretty good.

Annie

1 Like Save    
neely

Good going on all the meals, all look delicious.

We had Chinese food last night for Chinese New Year and heart shaped pancakes for Valentines Day.

Pork stir fry, I cut up everything and DH stir fried.

It’s a bit of fun doing the heart shapes for Valentines Day. Have a great Day everyone.

1 Like Save    
shambo

Annie, my grandmother would cook whole wheat berries to make a traditional Greek dish called Koliva when she visited. The berries were cooked in water until slightly chewy, still holding their shape. Once cooled a bit and dried on a towel, they were sweetened with a combination of sugar and honey. I remember eating handfuls as a treat. It might have been flavored with cinnamon, but I’m not sure.

Koliva is a traditional Greek Orthodox dish prepared for funerals and memorials. It is pressed into a cake shape and highly decorated when served. But my family was Greek Protestant, so we really didn’t follow the Orthodox traditions.

I’m guessing my grandmother would get a hankering for it every once in a while and make it for us to enjoy as a snack. It was always just the sweetened wheat berries. Nothing else. I never knew about its association with funerals/memorials, until I was an adult. I always thought it was just a weird snack my grandmother made.

Save    

Zac, ❤️

I could use a beach walk right now. Our pups are so done with the snowstorms.

Lovely table settings Neely. Classic blue/white.

Annie, we are loving the Misfits especially being deep in snow. I made a 'dirty' rice last week for lunches using some of the cauliflower pulsed and added to wild rice, lentils, and white beans. Minced beef and a sausage link out of the casing.

Last night freezer shopping for Bo Saam pork. Last package. Made it a few times the past late Summer/Fall season. Great way to use some fresh veg. It is lettuce wraps. Kimchi, avocado, tomatillo salsa, and whatever I find in the crisper. Used the rest of the chard. A 1/4 pint of sesame bbq sauce.

Save    
shirl36

Valentines Day 2021.....-7 degree early this am with -31 wind chill.

My first ever Cast Iron seared rib eye steak. It turned out so good.

All we could eat, steak and baked potato. Supper will be dessert, my homemade Mince Meat pie and coffee.

1 Like Save    

Valentine lobster rolls.

Every special occasion.

Save    
Jasdip

Love your photo, and meal, DC!

Beautiful veggie meals as always, Sleeve

Lynda, I love your pics of your vacation area and your meals. I REALLY love your dog!

Shambo, I tried to find some bulgur and farro, but wasn't successful, so I use quinoa in recipes that call for it.

Annie, I'm so like you with never baking an orphan. It really ticks me when people who have their hydro (electricity) included in their rent will turn on the oven to bake 1 lousy potato. I too cram my oven if I'm using the big one. LOL

Neely, what refreshing meals! I can make heart-shaped tortillas etc without even trying. I have a much harder time making circles!

Shirl, cast-iron is my go-to, I love using it for everything :-)

This week our local grocery has actual full-sized broccoli crowns on for .88 instead of the puny ones. So I bought 1 and made one into broccoli/cheese soup yesterday.

Tonight I made pork chops with rice and frozen vegetables.

Save    

Thank you for the kind words on Zac. He is a rescue we adopted in September and has been such a good addition to our family.

Our Valentine's Day dinner was really good!

Au Gratin with Gruyere

Cast iron seared Filet Mignon with cognac peppercorn cream sauce.

Chocolate souffle with creme anglaise.

So good. DS tried it but wouldn't finish it. I had to take one for the team and finish his.

Save    
nekotish

I made MIchale Symon's "Pap's Pork with Cabbage and Sauerkraut" because nothing says I love you like 3 kinds of pork. It was really good. Pork loin, ham hock and double smoked sausage with onions, cabbage and sauerkraut. My husband loved it and there's lots of leftovers. Will make bean soup with the hock bone and racks fromt the loin.

Save    
annie1992

Nekotish, that sounds really good and I laughed out loud when I read "nothing says I love you like 3 kinds of pork". Michael Symon does like his pork! I'm going to have to look that recipe up, I have cabbage that needs to be used. I could always cut down on the pork. Shhhh. Don't tell (grin)

Lynda, what a good team player you are, and a good wife, helping your husband by finishing up that dessert. I know it was a hardship, LOL. It looks amazing, by the way.

Jasdip, I just can't help myself, it's ingrained. Grandma always told me that if you had potatoes baking you might as well put the meat in there, and maybe a pan of biscuits. She didn't want to waste that energy, and that was 60 years ago, she was ahead of her time. Or maybe it was because she used a wood stove so much of her life and so fuel was more precious due to the work that had to be done to get it.

Sleevendog, you always get me with those lobster rolls. Yum.

I mostly like the Misfits boxes, but it's hard to be available right at 4 pm to make that order. Especially if Mother is here, I can't always just drop everything. If you don't order immediately, items will be sold out and there will be nothing left except lettuces and winter squash. I like the product, the price is reasonable, I like that it gets delivered to me, although it's often a day late, but the timing is difficult. And I wonder if the items offered are different depending on area because I've never been offered anything like cauliflower or avocados or any fruit other than apples, mango and oranges. It ships from New Jersey!

Shirl, that would be my kind of meal, steak and baked potato, I wouldn't need anything else to make me happy! Well, that mincemeat pie does sound pretty good, though. Your weather sounds an awful lot like mine, it's cold here!

Neely, I'd completely forgotten about Chinese New Year. Maybe I'll have to stir fry up some of those vegetables before my next Misfits box comes on Wednesday.

Shambo, that sounds kind of like granola! Greek Granola! (grin) I'm going to have to try it, I always have wheat berries available. I'm glad to see you here with us again, I've missed you.

I've been keeping those scallops that I got in my Wild Alaska shipment just for Valentine's Day, so we had those, wrapped in bacon and broiled:

I also made risotto, something Elery loves but I seldom take the time for and roasted some asparagus spears from the freezer, last year's crop.

I had planned to make coconut cream pie, but found blackberries in the freezer while I was digging for that asparagus and so made another of Elery's favorite desserts, Southern Blackberry Cobbler. He was happy and I'll make the pie another time.

We got more snow today and it's going to remain really cold, single digits or below zero for the next week, so maybe bean soup tomorrow.

Annie

2 Likes Save    
neely

I am always so envious of your lobster rolls Sleeve because I want- to -eat -one. Yum.

Love yor steak and baked potato shirl36

I’ve never cooked or had what you refer to as wheat berries shambo. Sweet that your Gran just made this dish on other than those occasions... as you say ... because she felt like eating it.

Lynda, delightful meal and now I want au gratin with gruyere no less, and the chocolate dessert, well OK also the steak and the sauce.

Annie your scallops look delicious, great meal and I’ll bet those blackberries are a whole lot tastier than the cultivated ones they sell round here. So cold, stay warm.

I too had to laugh about nekotish’s ‘.....3 kinds of pork’ sounds really good. So in the vein of Nekotish’s multiple pork and Jasdip’s delicious pork chop we also had pork but only ...pork patties

Save    

I am catching up on so many great meals posted recently.

Neely, I love that you celebrated CNY. We have in the past, but it didn't happen for us this year. Also like your heart shaped pancakes for V-day!

Shambo, I always enjoy hearing about the Greek traditions.

Shirl, That cast iron rib eye looks great. I would have never known it was your first try.

Sleeve, Lobster rolls look delicious! I always like how the vegetables are the star of so many of your meals.

Jasdip, Soup and biscuit look great. Perfect to warm you up on a cold winter day.

Nekotish, Three kinds of pork sounds like my kind of meal.

Annie, Your bacon wrapped scallops and blackberry cobbler - yummy! My DH and DS would have loved them them both. I grew up with fruit crumbles (which I think is similar to a a southern cobbler) and I have been meaning to try and make one.

Save    
nekotish

Annie, get Elery to try rissotto in his Instapot. I was amazed at how well it turned out when I tried it. And no stirring! That and a recipe I tried with eye of round for beef dip, plus cooking dried beans and making broth convinced me that the little guy was worth the real estate.

Save    
Jasdip

Lynda, one can never go wrong with steak w peppercorn sauce and au gratin potatoes! That would put hearts in anyone's eyes :-)

Neely again, I love your summer dishes.

Annie, your scallops look to-die for. I've never acquired a taste for risotto, yet I love rice pudding

I treated myself to Chicken Marbella tonight. And I picked up asparagus today for .99/lb! The heads were nice and tight too.

Save    
shambo

Jasdip, I’ve wanted to make Chicken Marbella since you started sharing pictures of it. Probably years. I still haven’t gotten around to it. One of these days, right?

Here are pictures of my weird dinner.

Riced cauliflower. I actually like it as a vegetable side. No pretending it’s something else. This batch was sautéed in butter with lots of freshly ground pepper and shredded Parmesan.

This is the pan in which I roasted some chicken parts with barbecue sauce. Just thought I’d share my favorite part — the burnt, crunchy bits left in the pan. The chicken was fine. But the stuff left in the pan was fabulous!

My middle granddaughter brought me a special treat for dessert. I guess it’s a candy. It’s made from cocoa powder and sweetened condensed coconut milk. (The family is GF, DF, and egg free.) The texture is quite soft, reminiscent of mochi but with a flavor similar to thick chocolate frosting or fudge. Really tasty. I think I may pick up a can of coconut sweetened condensed milk. Sounds like something fun to have around. I wonder how it would do as a coffee creamer.

Save    
dcarch7 d c f l a s h 7 @ y a h o o . c o m

Thank you Lynda. You are very kind.

Very nice Valentine dinner. But I am wondering what kind of relationship you have. I thought Valentine is for two. LOL!

dcarch

Save    

YeOlde easy standby in rotation of favorites....Gorgonzola Sliders. Veg medley. (next box delivered tomorrow)

-we will hit near 50º this afternoon. What ?!. Colder in Texas than in Anchorage Alaska. Hang in there frozen friends.

Save    

Jasdip, You chicken marbella looks tasty, as does the asparagus.

Sleeve, Gorgonzola sliders -- Yum!

Dcarch, We have a 12 year old son who is really into food. He started thinking about what to have for Valentine's Day dinner before we did. He then inhaled his food in about five minutes and went in the other room to watch tv, leaving my husband and I to enjoy a leisurely meal and bottle of wine. Our evening meals end up being half family dinner and half date night. A bit odd, but it works for us.

Yesterday was a travel day. We arrived home at 5:30 and were unpacked and eating dinner by 6:30 thanks to SV and the rice maker. Two hours south and we are definitely warmer here. We will be in the high 60s today and may hit 70.

Salmon bearnaise over saffron rice with asparagus

Save    

I might have to order salmon again from Alaska. 'The Spring edition'. To cary us through the summer. It is a once-a-weekie here. In various forms....smoked, cakes, seared, ...broiled, cast iron crispy skin...

Interesting about the wheat berries. Learn something every day. Makes perfect sense that it cross-posts to sweet. It holds its chewy structure forever. Love the texture... not gummy. Nor sticky. Just right. Rice pudding. Chia seed, yogurt, fruit...

I make a mixed grain every weekend. And a mixed bean every other. Prefer over porridge slop oatmeal, ick, lol. Nutty chewy grains and granola for breakfast we prefer.

We stocked up the last sale from Palouse...great quality, Oregon grown.

Save    
annie1992

sleevendog, that's where I got my last wheat berry shipment! My Misfits box will come tomorrow too, meanwhile I need to use up some broccoli and a celery root. I do like wheatberries, but I like oatmeal too, LOL.

Shambo, my Mother always ate the crunchy bits of any kind of chicken in the pan. That chocolate dessert looks really interesting too, and how can it be bad? It's chocolate!

Neely, are those sweet potato fries? I never met a sweet potato I didn't like, and it always goes well with pork.

Lynda, that salmon looks good, I like sauce with salmon. It's got enough flavor on its own that a good sauce doesn't detract from it.

Jasdip, your chicken looks good and the asparagus must be nice everywhere this year. That's a good thing, I think, and it seems like spring is a little closer.

nekotish, Elery said that he'd seen a recipe for risotto in the InstaPot and that he'd have to try it to see how it was. He just hasn't yet, LOL. I'll have to remind him.

Because I had some leftover brown rice and a head of cabbage that needed to be used, I made that "deconstructed" cabbage roll for supper last night:

tonight I put some of that 32 bean soup that I bought from North Bay in the crockpot, and we had that we veggie burgers in pita pockets. Elery had kim chee on his, I opted for the dreaded iceburg lettuce because there was no other kind in the fridge.

Veggie burger in half a pita pocket:

And, of course, Elery's kimchee:

Plus, a stray meal from last week that I forgot until I loaded some pictures tonight, a cornflake crusted pork chop with oven roasted parsnips and some broccoli and cauliflower salad:

And no, I hadn't started eating, but the pork chops were huge and so I just had a portion of one. The parsnips were the best part of the meal.

Annie

Save    
shambo

My daughter-in-law gave me a big package of ramen rice noodles, so I decided to make soup with miso broth from Trader Joe’s. I had lots of broccoli, bok choy, and tofu. It was as good as anything I could get from a Japanese restaurant, and it was so easy.

Annie, I’ve always wanted to fix deconstructed cabbage rolls. I’m really going to have to give it a try. Unfortunately, I’m way too lazy to roll cabbage leaves. (I was thrilled when my daughter took over making stuffed grape leaves several years ago.)

Lynda, your Bernaise sauce sauce looks so good. I really enjoy it, and I bet it’s scrumptious over any kind of fish. I’ve had steak Oscar a couple of times, and love the Bernaise sauce.

Save    

Shambo, Your Miso bowl looks so good. I need to try that. I bet it would be good with our bok choy and some shrimp.

Today was a long day at the office, so I take no credit for tonight's dinner. DH made cast iron rib eye, with asparagus and crispy potato with our homemade cab sauvignon.

Save    

Roast potato coins a favorite. Should start seeing asparagus soon. Been a while. Thought I had another big cabbage in storage. Bummer. Plenty of kimchi though.

Just opened my 5th one pound sack of miso. Since this time last year. (the paste). Found something that does not freeze well. Tofu. I thawed one last week for soup. It rung out like a cello sponge. Did not cut easily like feta. Stayed firm together but lost all creaminess. Had separated oddly. I should make my own.

MardiGras beans-n-rice. Wild rice/cauliflower rice. Mince beef, sausage, chorizo. My very first cauliflower rice. Way expensive for a few years here. 8$ a head no mater the size. Misfits has it and the heads have been huge. (one should be coming today). Hope I get a biggie.

Loved it. Right out of the cuisinart. Garlic, parsley, celery leaves, cilantro stems, broccoli stem, fresh thyme, lemon. Lost its color when added to the dish because of the bone broth. Should have added as a side.

Salad half gone before it hit the table.

Save    

Annie, trying to get creative with the burlap sacks. I have so many. I do use them to collect greens and veg from the garden...first rinse I swing heading back to the barn. Human salad spinner.

Great for hanging garlic bunches as they need air flow. Carrots. Onions. Storage bags. I also have a dozen big burlaps from green coffee. SweetMarias sells them cheap and they are good packing material. I purchased a big sack of a favorite Guatemalan recently.

Barn curtains because they are stylish cute, 😂🙄. (we let winter cross country skiers use our farm...but they are annoyingly curious about our barn. Peeking and curious).

Save    
shambo

Sleevendog, I’m glad you posted your experience with frozen tofu. According to many vegan websites, freezing is supposed to create a meat-like consistency. I’ve tried it twice and was really unhappy with the results. Once the water was drained, it took on a chalk-like consistency. Your “cello sponge” description is very apt.

I actually really like tofu but think if you overdo removing its water, the resulting texture is unpalatable.

Save    

I agree. About the tofu. It was a covid maybe early spring/summer 2020. I over-ordered having less than the usual shopping relations. . Way too many choices. Freezer toss paying attention to fridge dates. (freeze it) oops. not at all in-edible just odd. Smelled clean and fine. Just rubber-town. I'm good on pup food..went in their mix.

Save    
shambo

I did something similar with no-salt-added/low sodium products. I bought a case each of NSA tuna and diced tomatoes. Plus several cans of NSA chicken. They were going to help get us through the pandemic. Now I’m trying to use them up little by little.

OK. I was hungry and started nibbling on this before taking a picture. It’s a recipe from a “cooking for one” cookbook I bought recently. It’s a single serving breakfast casserole with sausage & cheese. I’ve made it at least 3 times because it’s so easy and tasty. Plus, it helps me use up my homemade bread.

Save    

Love an egg. Any time of day.

I bought a case of fancy Spanish tinned tuna. Only opened one the entire 2020. It will keep forever. A case of tiny tomato juices. Have ordered 4-5 more cases over the past year. Sometimes that is all I wanted for lunch with celery sticks. Never know what will be a hit any given moment in time.

This was better than it should have been. Mediterranean Feta Bake. AKA, kitchen sink, AKA, freezer shopping. From the freezer....mushroom ragu, braised chicken thighs, bone broth, cherry toms, mixed grains-n-beans. From the fridge...feta, olives, parm. Collard greens.

Save    

Misfits came this morning. A day late but gorgeous. Perfect timing having just used up my collards last night. The red cipollini onions wow. Biggie cauliflower under the broccoli. Did not order flat leaf parsley but it is giant. All greens are beauty. A little chocolate and muesli. (not had that since high school. GrapeNut shortage had me wanting both...dad favorites). Chard, kale, spinach.

Still have lots of celery from 2 and 4 weeks ago. I'll make a big batch of mirepoix this weekend and freeze some packets. And a big acorn squash. Maybe soup. Big romaine for some salad crunch. DH is thrilled to have spaghetti squash.

Brain spinning with meal planning ideas.

This southern storm is devastating. We have family and friends all over the South. I have been annoyingly preaching a storm plan for 30 years. They are so not prepared. Having suffered Sandy and Igor...a few others....basic prep is not expensive. My first misery was when I lived in NewOrleans, 1980. Ice storm. I was babysitting a friends pets, staying at her home. Pipes burst, electricity out. Packed all pets up and went to my tiny apartment that was fine. Icy roads the entire drive. Cold without a source of heat is horrible. A small efficient generator will give the most basic survival methods....heat, (one small room), a few lights. And supply heat to wrapped pipes.

Snow day today. We will get another 6-8inches on top of two feet. Over two days so it will be easy to keep on top of it.

Save    
annie1992

Shambo, you should definitely try the "deconstructed" cabbage roll. I like it even better than traditional cabbage rolls, because I get more cabbage instead of just that one leaf that wraps everything up. And, like you, an egg is a fast and easy meal, I can always eat eggs.

Lynda, that steak looks perfect, and so do those potato slices, nice and crunchy, yum. I'd be very happy with that meal.

Sleevendog, I give the burlap bags to Ashley, she's very "crafty". She makes and sells goat milk soap, and likes the burlap to wrap the bars in, and she tops jars of her herbal "infusions" and essential oils with squares of burlap and string to dress them up. She's always happy with more "crafting" material!

I've never tried to freeze tofu, although I do like it. Thanks for the warning, now I'll know better.

My Misfits came yesterday and those cippolini onions ARE really big, and the two naval oranges were the biggest oranges I've ever seen!

Tomorrow I'm going to roast the Romanesco, even though the Princess looked puzzled and asked what it was. I told her and she informed me that it didn't even look edible, it looked like a spore, LOL. Nice leaf lettuce, maybe I'll finally make those lettuce wraps, or maybe just salad, we'll see. After that I've got plans for the fennel, and I got a nice bunch of parsley hiding under the spinach that I'll have to use up too.

I had to cook for Mother this afternoon and deliver it to her. I didn't get home until after 6 pm, so supper had to be fast. Elery made hamburgers, very rare, just the way I like them. We had leftover broccoli/cauliflower salad to go with them.

Annie

1 Like Save    
neely

We’re moving so fast.

No bottom fish pie... smoked hake poached in milk using the milk to make the flour roux sauce, mashed potato on top.

Below was another stir fry

Save    

Smoked fish pie sounds amazing.

Nice veg haul Annie. Romanesco!

Shambo. So strange to get the NYTimes food e-mail an hour ago and the first recipe is Brigadeiros. Brazilian confections. NYT has a pay wall but here it is with the history

(she has a big add, so skip ahead 2 minutes)

edit. for some reason video direct gets kicked off. Link, HERE

Save    

Miso Poached Salmon. Hijiki, greens and grains.

Save    
Jasdip

Geez so many great meals!

Your hamburger looks great Annie, though not well done enough for me :-D

I love cabbage casserole, so much easier than fiddling with cabbage rolls.

Lots of salmon being enjoyed here. I should buy some.

Parsnip and sweet potato fries both look good.

I had the last of the chicken marbella earlier this week and stir fried some broccoli, peppers etc and leftover rice from the pork chop dinner.

I took a stew out of the freezer for my meal tonight.

1 Like Save    

LOL, the grain in the pic above is pup food. I was making it while prepping dinner. (our dinner was just freshly made wild rice/basmati)... I wash, then cut the greens bottom couple inches, the broccoli, the top few of the celery ribs, the outer hearty cauliflower leaves, spinach stems, tough parsley stems. Romaine outer couple leaves, and add it to leftover fridge grains etc for the pups. Cook it up. (it goes with proteins like ofals, tripe, chicken, fish, etc.). Nothing spiced.

Annie, I then soak all my greens stems down in fresh water before storing. My greens last night were from two weeks ago. Your spinach will perk up with a drink.

Your next green coffee bean order ask about the burlap sacks. He might just toss a few in as packing material. Are you still having crisper drawer temp troubles.? Use the Misfits liner along the back as an insulation barrier. Veg stems towards the back. Unfortunately we are getting foam now. But a good insulator. They are having supply issues. Thinking of good ways to recycle.

I've had great luck with extending the veg fridge life.

Save    

Finished up my work project this morning, which allowed me to get back into the kitchen.

Lunch was pizza, which allowed me to try out my new pizza stone (Emile Henry) and pizza pan (Le Creuset). I am not sure which one I prefer. The pizza pan allowed me to prepare ahead of time, while the stone probably produced the better crust.

Dinner was chicken piccata with risotto and asparagus.

I harvested a bunch of blueberries today - with many more on the way. I think I might make a cake or some muffins tomorrow.

1 Like Save    
annie1992

sleevendog, thanks for that tip about the crisper drawers. I don't know why I didn't think of that, but I went straight out to the refrigerator. There is not room under the drawers (between the floor of the refrigerator and the bottom of the drawers) for the liner to fit, and I have two vents at the back of the refrigerator that cannot be covered, so the packing material has to go inside the crisper drawer. I tried a layer of water bottles in the bottom of each drawer, and things will still freeze, so the crisper drawers are being used for water bottles, juice boxes, things that aren't compromised by freezer. I'd like to keep produce in there, though, so I emptied one drawer, added the liner, made sure the liner went up the back of the drawer to insulate from that vent, put a few items of produce back in. If it isn't frozen in the morning, then hurray! If it is, I'm going to try that packing from the Wild Alaskan box, it's thicker and foam, so that might work.

I had to laugh about the grain bowl for the dogs, that's exactly what I do for our dog, people just shake their heads. Your salmon looks like a nice change from my baked stuff too.

Jasdip, I like my beef more rare than most people, so the burger was perfect, although Elery put his back in the pan for a couple of minutes, it was more rare than he thought it would be, LOL. Your fried rice looks really good.

Neely, I've never even heard of fish pie, I think I'd like that a lot, especially covered in mashed potatoes. Your stir fry meal looks good too, with lots of veggies.

I've never had Romanesco so I had to try that first. An internet search revealed that many/most just roast it, and so that's what I did. Elery and I both liked it, I'd definitely do that again. I dislike cauliflower, but I didn't find it at all similar in taste, thankfully. I had brined a turkey breast and so we had that along with the biggest celery root I've ever seen, mashed.

My brother sent home some of his homemade BBQ sauce, it's a "secret recipe" that my stepdad gave him, I only know it contains grape jelly, tomato paste, dried minced onion and quite a lot of sugar. Elery used it on his turkey, I ate mine without, although the BBQ sauce is nearly as thick as cranberry sauce when it's cold:

Amanda and Dave and the kids are coming over for dinner tomorrow, so I made some "no-bake" cookies. Amanda likes them and can eat them because they are gluten free:

I am out of bread, so I made a loaf of multi grain bread with whole wheat, rye, some steel cut oats. I added a couple of tablespoons of honey, some chopped pecans and dried cranberries. I think I may have added too many "extras", as the loaf didn't rise quite as high as I expected, but the flavor is nice and it'll be great toasted for breakfast.

Tomorrow I think I'll bake some beans, saute that cabbage from Misfits, maybe with some bacon. Marinate some steaks and make some kind of potato, have those cookies for dessert. I just ordered a pig from a local farm, it'll be ready in 5 or 6 weeks, so I need to get some freezer room, it seemed like a good idea to get Amanda and her family to come help eat some of my freezer stash!

Annie

Save    
shambo

Sleevendog, that’s probably what my granddaughter did, just substituting coconut sweetened condensed milk. Thanks for the link. I sent it to her.

Save    
HU-753479426

Annie - I drooled when I saw the head of Romanesco in your misfits box. It has a mild nutty flavor that I love. I had it for the first (and last) time when we lived in the Netherlands. Haven't seen it since.

Tell the Princess it's a fractal vegetable based on a Fibonacci sequence LOL.

We were always able to get fresh Norwegian salmon when we lived there. I roasted the salmon in the oven, and steamed the Romanesco florets with tiny Dutch potatoes. I was always able to buy a French jarred Bearnaise sauce that was delectable with the salmon and the vegetables. I would unscrew the cap from the jar and put it in the steamer with the veggies so it was warm when we ate dinner.

seagrass

Save    

I've been making a sous vide salmon and bearnaise sauce which is pretty easy.

I set the SV for 130 and put the frozen, vacuum sealed salmon pieces in for 1 hour. Half way through, I add my bearnaise sauce, which is 7 tbsp of butter, one egg yolk and a tablespoon of my frozen reduction (see below) in a reusable zip lock. After 1/2 hour, I remove the ziplock mixture, empty into a container, add fresh tarragon and then puree using an immersion blender. Then I remove, dry and pan sear the salmon in butter and olive oil. The sauce is enough for 2 to 4 pieces of salmon. We like it over rice with asparagus.

The reduction I make ahead in bulk. It is 1/2 cup wine and 1/2 cup vinegar cooked with 2 shallots minced, a handful of peppercorn and a bunch of tarragon. I reduce it to 1/2 and then strain it. The remaining liquid I freeze in ice cube trays in 1 tablespoon portions.

Save    

I grew romanesco about ten years and brussel sprouts as well. Total fail the following few years. When the seeds ran out I gave up. Fresh packet so I'll try again this year.

Shambo, I would like the coconut cream better than the milk. I use the coconut for ice creams and popsicles. These look good, link, HERE. Kudos to all the vegans out there experimenting.

Soup night. Chicken and Taso, bone and leek-top stock. Veg sauté side. Good idea...veg and greens get overcooked in a hot broth. Leftover, not over-cooked veg in a frittata this morning.

Save    

^Lynda, thank you for the reduction recipe idea. I recently soaked a 1/2 cup of green peppercorns and mustard seed in vinegar and white wine. I did not reduce enough. Ice cube tray would be the perfect size to add to my sauce.

Save    
Jasdip

Lynda, lovely chicken picatta.

Annie, your bbq sauce is certainly thick! :-)

Are those macaroons? I like them, I remember them as a kid, so easy, chocolate, flour and coconut basically.

Nice looking soups, Sleeve. Light and refreshing.

I'm still on the hunt for a good and easy to make tortilla recipe. Tortillas themselves aren't hard, but they're dry when I'm kneading instead of being nice and moist and a texture like bread dough. I'll keep persevering though!

Not a round tortilla in sight! LOL

I made my usual pork slow-cooker dish (soy sauce, molasses, cider vinegar) with specific intention to set some of it aside to shred and put it with some of the liquid in the hot skillet. Added some lime juice.

Here it is on the tortilla with cheese, shredded lettuce, sour cream and some olives, prior to folding and making a mess eating.

1 Like Save    
shambo

Sleevendog, I’m sending that link to my granddaughter. She loves making desserts and candies. She loves to experiment too. And when she finds a hit, she brings some to me.

Well, I broke down and made the dreaded TikTok feta bake. I fixed it especially for my daughter who was visiting with her kids. It was a perfect luncheon dish. She really liked it, and I thought it was pretty good.

The presentation is fun, so I think it would be a nice dish for company — either as a main dish or a hearty side.

I followed a recipe from Food Network. Used only 10 oz pasta, 1/3 cup olive oil, and about 2 T of the cooking water. I used about 2 cloves garlic, and they cooked in the residual heat when the pan came out of the oven.

All in all, I’d make it again for company. Not sure if I’d make it just for me. I’m just not a great fan of feta. But I used Mt. Vikos brand which is supposed to be authentic Greek and produced with sheep or goat’s milk. It’s a bit milder and not as sharp as some.

It made quite a bit, so I’ve got some for lunch or dinner tomorrow.

Save    
annie1992

Jasdip, that taco looks just fine to me! Homemade tortillas are tricky, I never get them round. I never get pie crust perfectly round either, no matter how many "quarter turns" I do, LOL. It all works, though.

That cookie is not a macaroon, it's made with oatmeal. A base of sugar, butter and milk is boiled for a minute and a half, then oatmeal, peanut butter and vanilla is added and it's dolloped out onto waxed paper or parchment to set up. My kids have always loved them. And yeah, that BBQ sauce is thick. And sweet. My brother loves it and is sure everyone else loves it, and many people do, so he makes big pots of it and gives it to people, he won't give up the "secret recipe". My stepdad gave it to him and swore him to secrecy, said if he told "one of those women" it would "be all over the internet". He was right. (grin)

Sleevendog, I'm going to growing romanesco a try, maybe it'll like it in the hoop houses if I can start it early enough, I read that it doesn't like hot weather. Like you, I grew brussels sprouts for several years, and now, suddenly, I get a stalk but no sprouts bigger than my thumbnail before they freeze. I finally gave up on them.

Seagrass, if I can grow 'em, I'll send you a couple. If Misfits can do it, I can! I did tell The Princess it was a "fractal vegetable". She said it looked more like a bacterial vegetable. (snicker)

Lynda, I might have to drag the sous vide out and give it a try with salmon. I've not been very successful cooking sous vide so far, but I haven't tried salmon. I'd have to skip the bernaise, I'd like it but the only sauce Elery eats is hot sauce!

Amanda, Dave and the kids came for supper. We had steak, au gratin potatoes, sauteed cabbage, baked beans, green beans with bacon, some bread sticks. Those cookies for dessert. I took a picture of the steak, I removed enough for myself, then put the rest in the oven. The heathens all like well done steak, which amazes me. Ah well, to each their own. The Princess helped by slicing it up for serving.

Annie

Save    

The tortillas are hilarious.

Steak tonight me thinks. (feed 'em pork).... I bet we wanted it without pink but rarely had steak when young. I remember our burgers well done. Steamed,😂.

This was a treat. Shrimp with Leek and Fennel.

Save    
Jasdip

" The heathens all like well done steak, which amazes me." Annie, you made me laugh right out loud!! Love it! I woke up Bud, my cat :-D

Sleeve, glad I could make you laugh with my tortillas. As Annie says she can't make a round pie crust, neither can I. My pie crusts often come out the shape of the above-mentioned tortillas! LOL

Save    

Annie, Your family meal would have been perfect for me. It sounds like quite a feast!

Shambo, Your feta pasta looks good. I like feta on just about everything.

Sleeve, Your shrimp with leeks and fennel is restaurant worthy!

Jasdip, I like your tortillas...an irregular shape reminds me they are homemade. Same thing with irregular produce. Since I have been growing my own and cooking (mostly) from scratch, I've become suspicious of anything too perfect.

Speaking of not perfect.....my blueberry bundt cake was yummy but broke in two unmolding. I can't make an attractive cake to save my life.

We've had nice weather here, and yesterday we all worked in the yard. DS mowed the lawn and weed wacked, I got the existing garden beds ready for planting and DH built me new raised beds for the greenhouse. This will give us a dedicated space for year round peppers, tomatoes and ginger and we will transplant our existing pineapples to more roomy accommodation. If we get it all done, we are hoping to reward ourselves with sushi for dinner tonight.

Save    

...well we got one of the raised bed finished. This one will be for our tomatoes. Two more are cut and ready to be assembled.

After working on the yard most of the day, we decided we needed a break and took Zac to the dog beach.

DS, DH and our rottie puppy, Zac at Hendry's.

Picked up our fish at the harbor and had our fill of sushi.

In addition to our usual ahi tuna and salmon, we made a spicy shrimp. It was really good.

Save    

Fantastic garden prep and sushi! (my sealed pack of nori sheets turned rancid) So I've been using the small snack packs inside spring roll wrappers, sushi-spring roll hybrid.

Just started a first tray of garden seed starts. Herbs, peppers, salads.

Pasta over Veg/Beans/Grains/merguez sausage

Lots of prep-ahead choices for the weeks lunches.

Save    
neely

Great raised bed Lynda, good height and blue berry cake, sushi and way back chicken piccata, all delicious.

Shambo the TikTok pasta looks good. I know I would like it so must get around to it.

Sleevendog alls looks delicious and healthy as you do... the shrimp with leeks and fennel particularly appeals.

Jasdip laughed at ‘not a round tortilla in sight’ but they look great anyway.

Annie, yummy food and perfect steak.

Below We had crispy skin salmon with sweet potato and salad

The weather turned cooler and so I made an old fav comfort food... savoury mince with Yes you guessed it, sweet potato

Save    

Planning wed-friday proteins. (steak tonight). Salmon tomorrow. Burgers maybe Thursday. That would mean SouthernDirtyRice Friday night. Can you tell I get my meal planning here, lol. A boat-load of veg in my crisper.

Last night was freezer shopping/fresh crisper drawer. Fresh mirepoix, 1/2 pint broth, bo saam pulled pork packet, from frozen. Fresh veg steamed on top at the end, last 10 minutes.

(DH wanted a tiny snack of feta when he got home and dropped the container out of the fridge onto the floor. Oy, it cracked and went everywhere. A three pound container. Thankful I had a simple one pot meal on the cooker). What a mess.

Why I no longer use ball jars in the freezer. He recently dropped a big Costco size glass marinated artichoke heart container on the floor in the pantry. Oily. Butter fingers. I don't care for them having not much flavor. Bland. He loves them as a snack. He could have cried, 😂.

Veg Bo Saam Bowl....

Save    

Steak. Herbed cauliflower rice. Corncake loaded. (meant for todays lunch or mid-morning snack). Added a cup of cooked wild rice and some pasta to the herbed veg. Made a couple of nice lunches with the pasta/rice and a green leafy salad.

Save    
shambo

A weirdo dinner last night. I had a hankering for egg foo yung but not a hankering for fixing it the right way. So, I decided to make a sort -of egg foo yung inspired omelet. I sautéed all the vegetables and then poured on the beaten eggs. Not exactly the same texture and taste but close enough.

Save    

We have been calling that a 'heap' meal in my home. All the ingredients without the unnecessary steps. Like Annie's inside out cabbage rolls. Or a sheet pan meal, one pot meal.

So I did have cabbage after all. DH is not the best downstairs pantry, freezer, spare fridge shopper. Not sure how he missed a giant cabbage or the red one. Freezer is thinning out so that is getting easier...

Made a big Caesar dressed slaw. DH was very late getting home so I had a salad, crispy salmon, (not pictured), then made him a cold salmon salad. He wanted the leftover pasta salad. Good. Not going to waste. (too spiced for the pups)

Save    
shambo

I like the name “Heap Meal.” I have a feeling they’ll be happening more and more for me.

Save    

Things get busy this time of year, so we are back to many of our tried and true favorites. Lamb skewers, steak and potato....and roast chicken.

Save    
neely

Roast chicken Mmmm Lynda. Great meals Sleevendog, so healthy. I‘m not sure what egg foo yung supposed to look like Shambo but anyway your dinner looks good.

Crispy skin salmon and grains with green onions and mint with an Asian style vinaigrette. A salad on the side.

Save    
Jasdip

Temps are on the rise, spring is on the way. Now I can get my car washed!

Wow, your salmon dinners always look so good, Neely

Sleeve, lovely healthy meals as always.

I tried my hand at a skillet hash last night. Potatoes, bacon, leftover broccoli and cheese. It was very good. Kinda like a one-pot, sheet pan, or a Heap Meal :-) I cooked the eggs longer.

I took some stew out of the freezer for the weekend. Poor lighting, I see.

Save    

Cozy mood lighting is nicer than my glaring pink/yellow off balanced lighting,😜. At least my bowls are oven hot, hot, hot.

Plowing through my freezer stash. So nice to have it. I was looking for stew or chili...but ham, white bean and chard was good. Homemade 'torn' croutons.

DH just received his first shot 15 minutes ago. I might be eligible next week. Discouraging our bodies need time to process the protection...a couple weeks after the second shot. Hey, it is a start! The J&J may be approved tonight.

And then the variants...

Save    
Jasdip

Sleeve, we're (Canada) is so far behind in our shots. We're in the bottom 38th of the countries. We're still in the first stage of vaccinating those in long-term care, high-risk retirement home residents. It's open to the general public of 75 yrs and over mid April.

I'm still not convinced on getting it, but I did ask my doc when I was there for my checkup. Since I'm prone to bronchitis (never a simple cold, always full-blown bronch) she said I should definitely get it.

1 Like Save    

Oh No. Unacceptable. I expected to be in the May-June availability. DH just turned 65. We thought April for him. He walked in and walked out after 5 minutes wait. Walking distance from work. A local pharmacy...all double masked.

Save    
Jasdip

I haven't made Marcella Hazen's pasta sauce in quite a while, yet it's so easy and tasty. The one with butter and an onion. I simmered some meatballs into it for tonight's dinner.

Save    

Marcella❤️. My two first cookbooks. Tiny paperbacks on my beside, no table. Futon on the floor. Read cover to cover. Big love for her teachings. No pictures, just brilliant writing...

Save    
HU-753479426

DH & I are scheduled next Wednesday for our first doses of the Pfitzer vaccine - we have to drive off-Cape, about an hour and 15 minutes. We will have appointments in- hand for our second doses when we leave. We're 68 & 69.

I made a sheet pan supper last night. It's in frequent rotation - a combo of sweet Italian sausages, russet potatoes, bell peppers and onions, tossed with olive oil, lightly seasoned with salt & pepper, roasted at 375 for about an hour, stirring a couple of times. We serve it with a grainy Maine craft ale mustard from Stonewall Kitchens (no photo).. This reheats well for a socond dinner, and then makes a great frittata with warm marinara on the side.

I've been on this forum over 20 years and these are my very first photos! Yay!

seagrass

Save    
annie1992

I've had both my shots, the second one was February 1, and I'm 65. Elery and I got them at the same time, and he's 69. Mother has had her first one, second one March 13. Michigan is in the top 10 of the United States for vaccinations, so we're doing well, I think. I still don't go anywhere and our restaurants just re-opened at 25% capacity. Cases in Michigan are way down, so I'm encouraged enough that Elery and I made the first trip to Costco in nearly a year. Even after we had our shots, I was concerned for Mother, but now she's had her first one, I feel better. We still mask up, though, no matter where we go.

Sleevendog, I've been trying to keep the crisper drawers rotating through fresh produce and trying to make some freezer room. The soup and croutons looks good, but those watermelon radishes just jump right out at me. That's terrible about the artichokes and the feta, I feel terrible for your DH. Elery also likes the artichokes, although they taste like nothing to me. (shrug)

Shambo, your "weirdo" meal looks good, kind of like the "chop suey" Ashley used to love that did not resemble any Asian food of any kind. She still loves it, though.

Jasdip, I got the Pfizer vaccine and didn't even have a single side effect, not so much as a sore arm. Elery did get a headache the day after the second one, but there's no way to tell if he got it as a result of the vaccine or not. Mother even got her first one, and no side effects for her either. The more people get vaccinated the faster life goes back to some semblance of normalcy, so I definitely got mine as soon as my age group was available. Oh yeah, food. Your hash looks good, but the biscuit looks better.

Neely, your salmon always looks good and I like the thought of sweet potatoes with that "mince" appeals to me, I keep thinking I'll make a shepherd's pie with sweet potatoes instead of mashed white potatoes, then I promptly forget and make something else, LOL.

Lynda, the sushi always looks good and the beach is beautiful. We must be thinking alike, though, with that roast chicken. Except, of course, that you managed to take a picture of yours while it was still whole, and I forgot until after supper and I was putting the remainder in the fridge, LOL. Here is it is, though, what's left of it. This was one of the chickens we raised last spring. I brined it before roasting and stuffed it with some herbs that I dug out of the snow, sage, thyme and rosemary. It was nice.

I made a salad with the spinach from Misfits, and cut up several orange that I had in the fruit drawer, including a blood orange, two naval oranges and one Valencia. Dressing was made with olive oil and orange balsamic vinegar, with orange zest for some extra flavor, and served it with the chicken. Oh, I added hard boiled egg too...

And just to prove that Misfits is organic and doesn't use herbicides, they included a nice sprig of lambsquarter, LOL. Since it's edible, it just went into the salad!

Before that we had pork roast with roasted golden beets and Waldorf salad:

Another day was a stir fry with all the vegetables I could find and some with a brown/wild rice mix.

I'm not a big fan of stir fry, it's just a bunch of vegetables and some meat, nothing to shout about and a lot of chopping. It sure uses up a lot of those veggies, though!

Today I made a salad with the rest of the spinach, some leaf lettuce, a couple of eggs, some leftover chicken from the roast chicken the other night, and some roasted butternut squash. I took some more of the chicken and a handful of the spinach and made tortellini soup with a package of tortellini I found while cleaning the pantry, with a "best by" date of December 2020. Into the pot it went, LOL.

I've got stock in the electric roaster and a batch of bread dough rising on the counter, so tomorrow I'll be canning stock and baking bread, plus I have a COVID test at 11:30 in preparation for my cataract surgery Wednesday.

Annie

Save    
neely

Liked your one pan dish Jasdip the pasta looked pretty good too. Your meal Sleevendog looks very tasty.

What’s for dinner? ... chicken breast, veg and oven roasted sweet potato chips nothing fancy.

Save    
Jasdip

That looks good Lynda!!! Do you get your sweet potato fries crispy? You and Neely cook them often. Any time I've tried they're as limp as my pasta.

Save    

Getting baked sweet potato fries crispy takes patience I rarely have but DH prefers them. I don't mind a bit soft. I usually make a tray of regular potato fries at the same time...separate tray as they take longer to cook. (I give them a head start in the oven).

I take 2 wide mouth ball jars and thin slice a sweet potato and potatoes and soak in water in the fridge for 2-6 hours. Changing the water a couple times, especially the regular potato. Drain and roll up in clean kitchen towels. Set aside a while, then into a zip-lock with cornstarch/rice flour. Not too much. Then a bit of avocado oil. Onto a sheet pan with lots of room, not touching. Time and temp depends on your oven.

A great coating is the gluten-free all purpose flour mix but I never have that around anymore.

Excellent burgers last night but no pic.

Save    

Jasdip, That pasta looks really good. I can almost taste it.

The crispy sweet potato fries are Neelys. They always look so good. I occasionally make fish and chips with our homegrown yukon gold potatoes. I may need to give Sleeve's technique a try.

We are at our other home again, and got to try out their weekly farmer's market. It was small but had some good things especially as we don't grow anything here but a few herbs.

I found some nice 'fat spears' and one enormous tomato. I am thinking about making bruschetta. What would you make with this guy?

Dinner was another standby - lamb skewers with hummus and pita. We don't have a BBQ here, so both the lamb and peppers were cooked entirely in the oven using the broiled setting at the end to give some color.

Save    
Jasdip

That's a whopper of a tomato Lynda! That's a nice size to stuff. I've made Lidia's stuffed tomatoes and they are delicious.

I made bread today. Sunday is my usual day to bake but a friend and I are going on a trip to bring home a rescue dog. Caged her whole life, never been on a walk, house-trained etc. A lot of work but I'm excited for her.

Dinner tonight was Lidia's popular chicken, potatoes, onions and bacon.

I don't know why frying chicken is such a chore for me. It seems to take forever and both the house and me stink. Time for a shower.

But dinner was good!

Save    
shambo

I finally made the deconstructed/unstuffed cabbage roll casserole. I liked it a lot. This time I made it with a sweet-sour tomato sauce. I’d tasted it at a friend’s and really enjoyed it. Next time, I think I’ll use more traditional Greek flavorings (oregano, mint, & dill) and serve with an avgolemeno sauce. That’s how my mom served cabbage rolls.

Save    

That was one amazing tomato! ...and I still have half of it left.

Jasdip, I had never heard of stuffed tomato, but I looked it up and will give it a try. What do you normally stuff it with?

WFD was shrimp scampi over couscous with peppers

Save    
Jasdip

Fabulous photos, Lynda!!!!

I used bread crumbs, herbs and parmesan cheese. Not meat or rice in my stuffed tomatoes.

Save    

Yes, gorgeous tomato. I also first think of bruschetta. Stuffed and baked is really good also. Grains and cheese and sometimes lamb sausage coined.

Again one of our favorites....Miso/Dashi Noodle Bowl

Save    

Frittata

Save    
nekotish

Everything looks so good. Sleeve, I love the look of your fritatta and oddly enough, I've never made one, so going to put that on the list for the coming week as week just picked up a flat of lovely fresh eggs from our neighbour.

Both daughters will be here for dinner tonight. One still lives with us but between work and BF, seldom joins us for dinner. All first time recipes; Chicken breast stuffed with basil boursin and wrapped in prosciutto, lemony orzo with asparagus and garlic bread crumbs (bit the bullet and bought asparagus at 3.99/lb for lovely fat ones.) Since I had prosciutto left over and water chestnuts on hand, did the bacon wrapped water chestnuts using prosciutto instead of bacon. I think they are better, definitely not as heavy. Dessert was going to be a tiramisu meringue roulade which will now be tiramisu meringue trifle...

Save    
annie1992

Your sweet potato fries look delicious, Neely.

Thanks, sleevendog, for the tips on how to get them more crisp, mine are also usually soft and soggy, although still good.

Lynda, that's quite a tomato! And really good looking asparagus, I love produce season. That bruschetta looks fresh and crunchy too...

nekotish, that's some meal, your daughters must have been happy with that! I'd be happy with all of it, but especially the tiramisu.

Shambo, that casserole looks really good with the tomato sauce on the top. It's a lot easier than rolling up cabbage rolls, and faster too, even if it isn't as photogenic.

Jasdip, we're thinking along the same lines again, I also made bread:

I canned some beef stock, using a combination of short ribs, oxtail and "soup bones" that looked a lot more like shank.

I made a pizza last night with part of the dough I used to make that bread, but I forgot to take pictures. Tonight I was working on the Township's annual budget documents and about 6 hours into it Elery decided to get some take out from a local restaurant as it didn't look like dinner was imminent, LOL. He brought home fish and chips, they had walleye, one of my favorite fish. I didn't take pictures of that either, although I got a nice shot of the Snow Moon out of my front window without even moving from my computer...

Tomorrow I've got to cook some more vegetables and I still have a head of cauliflower, some romaine and fennel to use before my new Misfits box comes on Wednesday. I have to cook for Mother tomorrow, but I know she wouldn't consider eating any of those vegetables, LOL. Maybe muffins, I'm tired of making cinnamon rolls.

Annie

Save    

Yes, what a gorgeous moon.

I have an odd habit of using a squash, bunch of greens...any veg of substance and size...two meals but always hold back a 1/4 or a couple big leaves...half a golden beet, half an onion, etc. End up with a tid-bit scrap bag. (still fresh!). Keeps the crisper drawer full of variety. Seems frittata is always a day or two just before Misfit Wednesday. Stuffed spaghetti squash tonight, roasted mixed veg and root veg tomorrow night. (any protein will work with that).

I made a 4 egg frittata instead of 5-6. Only two eggs left. 😳. DH wants another corn cake ASAP. A good savory mid-morning snack. Or with lunch. I use Edna Lewis' corn muffin recipe. It does not have sugar and uses corn flour, (fine ground corn meal). It has a desert cake texture. Not crumbly like traditional cornbread. (we also love). But can be sweetened or held savory. If you like a cake textured corn muffin....grind your cornmeal or get Bob's Red Mill corn flour. Excellent pancakes! Or corn fritters with fresh/frozen corn kernels.

I don't like crispy egg. Posted this before...I start my frittata on the stovetop with a layer of mandolin thin potato. Then search for veg, ham, cheese etc. Preheat oven, cover stovetop potato/veg to steam greens. Add eggs just before going into the oven. Top with whatever, usually cherry toms from the freezer and parm. -the potato at that point has sealed the bottom as a 'crust'.

Save    

I went down the crispy sweet potato fries rabbit hole 5-6 years ago. Hundreds of bloggers claiming 'the best'. So many fails. Too many variables. The potato itself, the method, the oven. Soaked, par-boiled, an hour in the freezer...350º or 425º, 🙄. Too much toss 'dust' in a bag will give a gummy baked fry. I did a different method for about a year. Same with coined chips and garbanzos. So many steps is not worth it.

If I was making them tonight....cut this morning in ball jars into the fridge in water. Once home, drain and roll in clean cloths to dry. Prep the rest of the meal. I get excellent crispy 8 out of ten now. Why I also will use the same method at the same time with a russet for DH. He wants any baked fry to stand up to a side dip special sauce. Fair 'nuf. I like sweet potatoes any way except boiled to death in water. (mom's method)

Same with roasted garbanzos. It took a while to get them lightly toasted outside and still creamy inside. Not too high heat where they get dry-ick-hard..

(big bun on that burger!, lol. We now make smaller slider buns.)...a 3oz burger is perfect with salad side.

Save    

Shopping my larder and crisper. Stuffed Spaghetti Squash with Lamb Sausage. Fresh pot of wild rice/lentils. Gorgonzola. Side of sauté cabbage/greens/acorn squash/hijiki. Recently started packing up lunches before plating dinner to get that chore out of the way. (Impressed the spinach is still good from two weeks ago.)

Save    
Jasdip

^^^^^ *Shopping my larder and crisper"

My freezer is packed full, yet what did I just do? Came home with 5lb of chicken drumsticks because they're on sale for .69/lb.

1 Like Save    

Looking forward to stuffing my freezer with Spring sales. Loving my empty freezer shelf at this moment. 😜... so rare.

Finding 2018 grain/broth that is dog delish food. (I do not season so broth/grain can cross to pup food). An early spring semi empty freezer makes me happy. Still finding-2018 choices but deleting for us. Pup heaven.

DH freezer shopped thinking it was smoked chicken thighs. Oops. Lasagna, lol.

No biggie. I layered with a potato base, squash, onion, leek, multi cheeses, greens,...

Lasagna Casserole....

Oven baked an hour...

Save    

Twas the night before Misfits...

This just fell out of the clouds. (cell phone pics go straight to my desktop photo file but some take their time)

Really good with lasagna layers and flavor. Not excellent, just satisfying and easy. Emptying the crisper...

Misfits as great as ever. Big salad tonight now seeing what I have. Steak and pom frites. Roasted or pan seared brussel sprouts. (I'll use about one third)., the third steak for lunches. (I have beens packing/freezing small steaks but three)....two for dinner, the third for steak salads, sliced over greens/grains.

Two big bunches of meaty arugula. Celerac, fennel...lemons I've needed for a week or so. (seafood is not the same without)

Save    

Sleeve, You have been busy! So many great meals.

We are back home after a few days off to celebrate another trip around the sun.

Tonight we had SV & then pan seared salmon with basmati rice, asparagus and bearnaise sauce. DH suggested we add kaffir lime zest and saffron to the rice. I was skeptical, but it turned out really well.

I worked from home today, so that allowed me to make pizza for lunch. I used my new Emile Henry pizza stone. I heated it up first, while I got my toppings ready. Then I pulled the stone out and assembled my pizza on it before putting it back into a hot oven. Remember that enormous tomato? The last 1/4 of it ended up on this pizza.

DS doesn't eat cheese, so I made him some no knead bread.

Save    
neely

So many great meals. I missed some posts a way back or rather they missed me and didn’t show up until about a week later.

Below was cauliflower soup.

Below the usual chicken stir fry

ETA

I cut, then nuke the sweet potato chips till cooked a little, toss in oil and put in oven. They are not really crispy but sort of soft with a skin holding together like a chip. Boiled sweet potatoes equals mashed... with butter, pepper and salt equals tasty good.

Save    
Jasdip

Hey Neely, I've been meaning to tell you that I've been watching a tv series called McCleod's Daughters.

It's set in Australia on a cattle/sheep station. 2 daughters run it along with their female hands. I absolutely love it, the scenery, and the accent!!!

I don't know if it's in the outback? I just googled, and it's set in South Australia outside of Adelaide.

Haven't seen any kangaroos, but they're mentioned, but not often :-D

Save    

WFD was green Thai curry pork with jasmine rice. We used our homemade curry and the first of our bok choy harvest.

Dessert was individual SV Cheesecake with our mixed berry preserves.

Save    
annie1992

Sleevendog, I can never get roasted garbanzos right. They are either so hard you'll break your teeth, or they are too mushy in the middle, I can't seem to hit a middle ground. (sigh) And, like you, anything I find that has managed to evade my freezer raids and has gotten old/freezer burned, just becomes dog food. Molly is always happy to help out, LOL.

Lynda, that bread looks amazing, nice and crispy. I love the chewy crusts. Your salmon looks really good too, is that a butter sauce?

Jasdip, what are you going to do with all those chicken legs?

Neely, thanks for the explanation on the sweet potato fries. I like your blue and white plates, I notice them whenever you use them.

Here I did cook for Mother, I made butternut squash soup, a Panera Bread copycat recipe. I don't know whether she liked it or not. I'm sure she'll let me know. (grin) I also made her some goulash, but I didn't take a picture. This is the soup all packaged up for her fridge:

Some pumpkin muffins:

I made some ahi tuna for Elery and I, along with some roasted asparagus. The tuna was a bit overdone, I took a phone call and it went a few minutes longer than I anticipated.

And I've been organizing the pantry. I had baskets, but things got "lost" in the bottom, and I couldn't see what was in them. I replaced them all with plastic boxes that I could see through. Since I started cooking for Mother I have things l didn't usually buy, like seasoning packets and canned soup, so now I can keep them organized and actually find them!

I had that first cataract surgery yesterday, and so Elery made himself some supper while I slept off the effects of the sedatives. No pictures, LOL.

Today my very kind neighbor from the B&B brought some lentil vegetable soup and apricot bread. We had that for supper. I took a page from Sleevendog's book and made a frittata to go with it, used up an Anaheim pepper and one of those red cippolini onions I got from Misfits, as well as a handful of button mushrooms that needed to be used. Topped it with my homecanned salsa...

We haven't tried the bread yet, maybe breakfast tomorrow morning.

And my Misfits box came, so more vegetables to use up! The golden beets were especially nice this time, and the tops are fresh enough to eat, so they'll be going into something in the next couple of days, they won't last much longer than that. Nice big lemons too and Elery was happy there was zucchini, he likes it sliced thinly, sauteed and topped with eggs for his breakfast. Ihad one of the ambrosia Gold apples this evening and it was crisp and extremely sweet, definitely a "dessert" kind of apple.

Tomorrow I need to find something to do with that fennel from the last box!

Annie

Save    
bragu_DSM 5

I would make buffalo chicken legs ... cheaper than wings, and more meat

Save    
Jasdip

Bragu, anytime I see a recipe for chicken wings, I always use drumsticks. Yum!

Annie, I moved some stuff around and actually made room for the drumsticks. Freezing them in smaller bags...5 to a bag helped.

1 Like Save    

Stir fry looks so good. Maybe I'll make a beef/broccoli.

Nice veg haul Annie. The brussel are excellent. I pan seared the big ones.

I just had a run down the 'fennel recipe' rabbit hole. I'll make a salad with some of the arugula, shaved on pizza tonight. Maybe roasted with the rest tomorrow. Shrimp and sausage w/fennel over grits? yum

Veg sauté. Kimchi salad Fries. Steak and tomato salad.

Save    

That a quick reach to 100. I don't have anything pretty to start the next WFD.

Save    
Browse Gardening and Landscaping Stories on Houzz See all Stories
Inside Houzz Top Takeaways From the 2021 U.S. Houzz Kitchen Trends Study
Storage is a major focus, the open-concept floor plan is losing steam, and project scope is scaling back
Full Story
Trending Now 36 Home Design Trends Ready for Takeoff in 2021
Bye-bye, 2020! Here are the materials, colors and ideas we think will give a fresh, hopeful start to the new year
Full Story
Kitchen Sinks 6 Kitchen Sink Trends for 2021
See the new sink textures, colors and workstations that debuted at the Kitchen & Bath Industry Show
Full Story