SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
bonandlee

Suffering from Analysis Paralysis. Advice Truly Appreciated!

bonandlee
3 years ago

3 Months, 10,000 photos, 100s of Hours, Still NO firm decision!

In Nov, we removed a nasty behemoth of a brick fireplace that we lived with far too long. I've been stuck since then trying to decide what to replace it with. We have a style in my mind though it's been difficult to visualize. In a former life, I was a tech writer, so I've drawn many rough drafts. The biggest obstacle is that I know I change my mind more often than I'd like about my favorite styles. This makes me even more hesitant to make a decision. "What if I don't like it a few years from now!"

I've never solicited an online resource for opinions, though I've used Houzz for inspiration and motivation for over 10 years. At this point, however, I need an intervention! My spouse is very helpful (in telling me what he doesn't like) but ultimately, within reason, the decision is mine. We are not looking to spend a small fortune; this is an update, not a remodel.

In my Ideabook 'Fireplace/Fam Rm Remodel', I've listed (way too many) ideas, pics of the old fireplace, inspiration photos, and other uploads if any of you would care to wade through them with me!

Fireplace/Fam Rm Update

Oh... and lastly, we are avid, passionate DIYers with a full woodworking shop in the basement.

THANK YOU - more than you can imagine!

Design Must-haves:

Neutral tones

Budget <10k

Stone and wood mix (MSI *Sierra Blue or Alaska Gray) (Mid-tone white oak, teak is too spendy for this project.)

Floating or flush/floor hearth

Plenty of display shelving

Oak Flooring, mid-tone to match existing.

Design Dilemmas:

- TV above or adjacent to the gas fireplace? Hubby says adjacent, I say above; neither is a deal-breaker. We rarely light a fire, so high temps/TV is not an issue. Height is also not relevant as we could purchase a MantelMount.

- Stacked stone. A full wall, 3/4 wall or only @ fireplace?

- Thin, wood trim installed vertically to separate stone and painted wall?

- Lighting, which will be a simpler choice down the road.

Comment (1)