SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
dlm2000

Analysis Paralysis – window shades & transoms

DLM2000-GW
5 years ago
last modified: 5 years ago

I have hemmed and hawed over this long enough – time to make a decision and I almost don’t even care if it’s the wrong one – anything is better than inaction at this point. Obviously not true, I am not Ms Moneybags and window treatments aren’t cheap.

Bear with me, this came out longer than I planned.

For the moment I want to focus on the LR (has transoms) and DR (no transoms) but have the exact same windows in 3 bedrooms, 1 with and 2 without transoms. I *think* I want to do the same shades throughout - paint color and wood floor is the same in all the rooms. This is a new build, we are on 6 acres, privacy is not an issue, light control and covering black hole windows at night in the guest rooms is, so we will have privacy liners. There are views out all windows we want to preserve, we love the light in the house but low angle winter sun and bare trees creates glare so we’d like to lower shades as needed for the necessary hour or two each day. The focus is on what’s outside the windows so I don’t want anything to distract from that but want something with texture and warmth that ties in with the floor and beams - am drawn to woven wood. Cellulars are still a consideration simply because they virtually disappear when closed with a minimal stack but then they don’t add that texture and warmth of wood. I am torn.

The other issue is placement. Until I found this website I considered hanging at the windows and leaving the transoms bare but now see the error of that thinking . https://windowworks-nj.com/how-to-window-treatments-for-transom-windows/ Plan is for inside mount but if I do woven wood and hang in the transoms, they will be ¾ covered with the stack height. I think they are beautiful windows so I hate to cover them. Do I do outside mount and hang on the window casing? Or even hang a bit above the transom on the wall? There is blocking above the window so that’s do-able. Or do cellular in the transoms only and woven wood on the main windows ? Or is that just nuts? That would require a pole to operate the transom shades but I’ve been told by the window people I’m talking to that is not a big deal. Is it? Ugh. I overthink things to the point of making myself and DH crazy and then do nothing. I have to do something. Someone just tell me what to do.

Pictures of the windows and shades under consideration to follow in the next post.

Comments (21)