SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
becky22546

Roller shades? Roman Shades? What would you do?

Becky
5 years ago

I'm trying to decide on window treatments. In the past I lived in subdivisions with small lots, so we used blinds and curtains for privacy. Now I'm on 10 acres where privacy isn't as much of a concern and I'm looking at other window treatment options. (We still need privacy on bed/bath rooms, but even that is mostly at night when the lights are on.) I have craftsman style trim around the windows and would love to show it off instead of hide it behind curtains. I'm leaning towards roller shades or roman shades, so I can have decorative fabric. I've never had either style. Is one better than the other? Any suggestions on where to buy them? Is there any other type of window treatment that you recommend instead of shades?

Comments (30)

• DLM2000-GW
    5 years ago
    last modified: 5 years ago

See my post on pretty much the same topic just the other day. Maybe there is some info to help you. I decided against anything in a Roman shade style because of the large stack height. I don't want to lose my open feel. The roller shades I'm looking at have a 3" cassette which I can live with. The only other option to leave the windows completely visible is curtains hung wide enough that when open the windows are bare. But that's not always the best look either.

https://www.gardenweb.com/discussions/5656645/analysis-paralysis-window-shades-and-transoms#23850195

Becky thanked DLM2000-GW
  • PRO
    Tammy Wilson, A Smith & Noble In-Home Designer
    5 years ago

Hi Becky, Begin by ascessing your limitations. What is the depth of the window and where are the mechanisms for locking and and opening/closing the window. Will the window still function properly with and inside mount treatment? Different products will have varying depth requirements. Next, ask what purpose the product will serve. You mentioned privacy, but is blackout needed? Both roller and roman shades offer blackout liners, but is there a need for energy efficiency? Are the windows double pane? Next, what is your budget? Fabric is always going to be a higher price point. If you send me a photo, I’d be happy to give you my feedback.

Becky thanked Tammy Wilson, A Smith & Noble In-Home Designer
  • Related Discussions

roman or roller shades- deadline ASAP!

Q

Comments (2)
    Thanks for the input! I guess I'm just having some last minute jitters. Window coverings are so expensive and final, I worry that I'm making a big mistake. The price difference is about $200, but I've been working on what to do with these windows for years, so that amount is not enough to really influence my decision.
    ...See More

Need a Lesson 101: Solar shades vs Screen shades vs Roller shades

Q

Comments (3)
    I've never heard that Solar Shades are to be used on the exterior only and I've seen plenty of use on double pane windows within the house. If a shade had an insulating effect and was sealed along the edges or had sealed side tracks, then that would not be safe to use with double pane. Solar screens are just that.....screens. They go outside the window just as any other type of screen is used. Roller shades can be decorative lightweight window coverings, but the term 'roller' is also used for the Solar Shades since they are usually on some type of roller system. It sounds like Solar Shades will fit your need. Here is a link that might be useful: Interior Shades
    ...See More

Would you hang reverse roll roller shades up at the ceiling?

Q

Comments (4)
    Thw window guy said they can be mounted just like they are mounted on the casing or just above the casing. So its just moving it up higher by a few more inches. The ends where the brackets are will be finished in color co-ordinated colors for end caps etc. So now the issue is looks. I've seen woven textures and roman shades etc. mounted from ceiling height, but not roller shades unless there was a hidden soffit that the shade seems to come out of. Any one this or have pictures where I can see what that might look like - roller shades in reverse roll? Thanks
    ...See More

Has anyone tried to paint the roman or roller shade?

Q

Comments (2)
    You can easily use a roller shade and either fuse a fabric of your choice on there with iron on fusing, or you can just use the roller, take it apart, and get a sturdy piece of fabric and reattach. I've done that and am not very handy. http://www.alternative-windows.com/en/blinds/roller-blinds
    ...See More
  • PRO
    Two Blind Guys
    5 years ago

Roller Shades and Roman Shades are great product choices but also 2 products that look and function differently. There are quite a few options in both lines of products so it depends on what you are looking for design wise and potentially where they are being mounted. If you are looking for a brand or company to help, I would visit the Hunter Douglas website, type in your zip code, and look for a showroom in your area where you actually go look at them in person and check out all the options. They are a great manufacturer!

Becky thanked Two Blind Guys
  • Becky
    Original Author
    5 years ago

@Tammy, I have two different types of windows. The first floor (master bedroom) has double hung windows, so the locking mechanism is in the middle of the window. The 2nd floor (kid's bedrooms) has casement windows with the crank/locking mechanism at the bottom. The are the type where the crank folds up on itself. The depth of the casement windows is approx. 2.5". The depth of the double hung windows is approx. 2". There is window trim around each window that adds another 3/4". I don't need blackout liners. I do better in the mornings if the light filters through to help wake me. :) All windows are double pane. I haven't set a budget yet. This is our forever home, so I want to do it right even if that means doing it in phases to spread out the costs. Again, we aren't in a subdivision, so I'm not hurting the curb appeal by not having the same blinds in all the windows from day 1. I'm attaching a photo of one of the windows and would love your feedback. Please ignore the "dirt" in the view. We still need to do landscaping. The majority of our views are mountain views, but we are still unpacking and this window had less boxes piled in front of it.

@DLM, thanks for the link. You have a good point about the stack height of the roman shades. I hadn't really thought about that. Roman shades were appealing because I can make them myself, but I don't want to lose my views. BTW, I love your windows and paint color.

• Becky
    Original Author
    5 years ago

@two blind guys, you're right, I need to go to a show room. Unfortunately, they are over an hour away and my next several weekends will be spent unpacking, so I'm trying to do some of my research online first. I'll definitely go to a show room before I make the final decision. Until then it is temporary paper shades!

• DLM2000-GW
    5 years ago
    last modified: 5 years ago

Haha! Becky we still have temporary paper shades up in our guest bedrooms and we just passed the 2 year mark from move in! Like you everything has to come in stages, front landscaping last summer, hoping for back yard this summer, maybe new sofas in the fall..... It's a process.

Becky thanked DLM2000-GW
  • PRO
    Fenstermann LLC
    5 years ago

Hey There: In your case we do suggest roller shades for the windows and panel blinds for any sliding door or folding door. You can use the same fabric for both styles which keeps it cohesive throughout the house. Furthermore, you don't loose the open feel in the home with bulky roman shades or any other valance style shades. Check us out at www.PleatedBlindsStore.com or give us a call at 619.665.9446

Double Roller Shades · More Info

• gracie01 zone5 SW of Chicago
    5 years ago

Yes, I'm old, but I use these on a tension rod within the window frame with a more opaque fabric.

• lizbeth-gardener
    4 years ago

Gracie, where did you find those curtains?

• PRO
    Flo Mangan
    4 years ago
    Roman shades are the best, but pricey. If you use sheerer fabric, they can stack up nicely. I would start with rooms I spend most time in. Avoid grommet style drapes. They take up a lot of room and if you have pretty trim they will completely hide them. JCPENNEY has woven shades that are priced reasonably and would be good short term (1-3 years) solution. Watch the really cheap ones. They are poorest quality. Woven shades stack up slimmer too. So many options. But don’t be surprised. No matter what you do window treatments are costly. Do it once with best quality you can afford. Pain to change later. Holes in walls or moldings. No fun.
  • J D
    4 years ago
    Roman shades or woven wood shades. I think those work nicely with your traditional style home. If it were me, I’d get a medium toned wooden shade and flank the white curtains on either side of the shades
  • J D
    4 years ago
    The curtains could be hung quiet wide so that the trim is completely exposed. Roman shades would work too like I said, but no curtains. Roller shades are just way too modern for your home.
  • J D
    4 years ago
    Have you considered white wooden shutters?
  • Becky
    Original Author
    4 years ago

JCPENNEY has woven shades that are priced reasonably and would be good short term (1-3 years) solution. Watch the really cheap ones. They are poorest quality. Woven shades stack up slimmer too. So many options.

@Flo, what are "woven shades"? Are you talking about woven bamboo?

But don’t be surprised. No matter what you do window treatments are costly. Do it once with best quality you can afford.

I know! This is why I've always used 2" blinds in the past. They're not cheap, but they're waaay less expensive than other options. With this house, I don't need immediate privacy, so I'm willing to spend more and do them in phases.

Roller shades are just way too modern for your home.

Hmmm. I had not considered this. I assumed roller shades were neutral and could work with any style home.

Have you considered white wooden shutters?

I love the look of wooden shutters, but I want to maintain my view and keep my window treatments open the majority of the time. I assumed shutters would be a PITA to leave open, no?

Does anyone have opinions on solar shades? I'm considering those for my living room & media room since both have large picture windows with mountain views.

• shadylady2u
    4 years ago

Hmm, solar shades and cellulars may be a bit modern, but I've never thought of roller shades as modern. They've been around a long time. I think the fabric or material used, could make them more traditional or modern tho.

Becky thanked shadylady2u
  • J D
    4 years ago
    Maybe we have different ideas of what roller shades are? I think of these and I would say even if they’ve been around since the fifties (or whenever not quite sure) still think they’re too modern for your craftsman home. I think you said it was craftsman no?
  • J D
    4 years ago
    Hmmm it depends on the shutter. My parents have shutters and they leave them open all the time. Just lay them flat against the wall. Or leave the slats open for filtered light. But they’re quiet expensive so depends how many windows you have
    Becky thanked J D
  • chloebud
    4 years ago

"I assumed shutters would be a PITA to leave open, no?"

Hi Becky, I'm not sure what you mean since there's no problem leaving them open. We have plantation shutters throughout our house. The 4 1/2" slats let in a lot of light. I love how they look and the ease of keeping them clean (unlike any type of fabric). I know shutters aren't for everyone, and, yes, they're not inexpensive.

Becky thanked chloebud
  • PRO
    Flo Mangan
    4 years ago
    Woven shades are typically Roman style shades that are made with a wide variety of materials. I have done them with various forms of grasses, some with wood slats etc.
  • PRO
    Flo Mangan
    4 years ago
    Some more examples.
  • Becky
    Original Author
    4 years ago

I'm not sure what you mean since there's no problem leaving them open. We have plantation shutters throughout our house. The 4 1/2" slats let in a lot of light. I love how they look and the ease of keeping them clean (unlike any type of fabric). I know shutters aren't for everyone, and, yes, they're not inexpensive.

I have limited wall space around a lot of my windows, so it would be a pain to try to keep them open. Since I'm on a lot of acreage, I'm looking for window treatments that will remain open the majority of the time and not have the slats obstructing the view. In my previous home (postage stamp size lot) I dreamed of plantation shutters since the majority of the time they would have been closed for privacy.

@ JD, my house is farmhouse style, but the window/door trim we chose is a craftsman style (except it is painted trim, not stained.) I assume you're opinion would be the same? The roller shades would be too modern for a farmhouse, no?

@ Flo, thank you for the examples. I really like the woven wood shades in the photos, but my husband hates those. If I use those in one room, will I need to use them in all rooms on the same elevation? I'm sure he would let me put them in one room without much push back. It might be a different story if I try to use them in the all the rooms. :)

Like Save

• PRO
    Flo Mangan
    4 years ago
    Sure I understand your hubby has opinion and he probably recalls older versions. The new versions are really beautiful. I am specifying them quite often today. Make sure you get an updated vision of these before you totally reject. Window treatments are expensive almost anyway you do them.
    Becky thanked Flo Mangan
  • J D
    4 years ago

Yes Becky, I still would prefer Roman shades or the bamboo shades. I think they are less modern looking and would fit better. I suppose if you really wanted roller shades, they make some in a grassweave material that would kinda work (not my first choice obviously lol).

Becky thanked J D
  • DLM2000-GW
    4 years ago
    last modified: 4 years ago

Becky - don't know if you remember my room and link from up-thread but I've continued to follow your situation and thought I'd give you an update on mine since we have similar large, private settings and goals for views. Much as I love roman shades whether fabric or some kind of woven wood/bamboo, I just didn't want to cover up that much glass with the stack height. We did a test run with a textured roller shade on 2 windows in our living room. That way if we hated them it wasn't an investment in every window and we'd keep looking. Here's what we have, a roller shade behind a cassette.

You can see the texture, it's not room darkening but offers excellent light/glare control and privacy.

When they're open, they are very unobtrusive and leave the glass bare.

The cassettes aren't invisible but if you match your wood they will disappear as much as anything can. Mine are in between my wall and my wood color so they have a bit of warmth to them.

We are probably going to use these throughout the house where we need light control. Some of those windows may get additional decoration with curtains, and that's an opportunity to add some pattern and color. Personally, I don't think these have a modern look or really any definitive style look because I chose a neutral to basically disappear. If you chose a wood tone or a color of course they will be a focal point and that to me is where the clean lined modern look comes in. But as a first layer with curtains or even on their own matched to your wood, IMO they can work with any home or decorating style. Hope that helps. It's a tough decision and a lot of money, that's for sure!

• Becky
    Original Author
    4 years ago

@DLM2000, I like those shades. Do you mind sharing the brand/color?

@Flo, my husband is funny (in a weird way). LOL. I don't think he has ever used shades like that, but he associates the look with wicker. He hates wicker, so anything that reminds him of it is not an option in his mind. He is the same way with furniture. He will buy the ugliest piece of furniture in the store because it is made of oak and "oak is quality". Drives me crazy! He has gotten a little better since we got married, although I think that has more to do with him being wiser about which battles to pick with me. :)

• PRO
    Flo Mangan
    4 years ago

Becky - that is so funny. God Bless his little heart! lol You have to pick your battles, right?

Becky thanked Flo Mangan
  • HU-177390976
    4 years ago

We are having a really hard time deciding between the plane lines on the left or textured on the right. Privacy isn’t a huge deal to us as there is no one that can see in bias we just hate the cheesy blinds for the sliding door came with and don’t want to have to close up the whole window when the sun is setting and beaming me in the eyes from the kitchen LOL IIf anyone could chime in their pros and cons to each. ould be so greatly appreciative!!! Thank you !!!

• HU-177390976
    4 years ago

*plain on the left and textured on the right.

• rpwoodard
    4 years ago

@Becky, It’s a definite advantage that you know how to make Roman Shades. I’m making some for our house.

i like the idea of installing them higher so they don’t block the view. I’ll post pix after I finish