SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
comelyhomely

Analysis paralysis - help me make final decisions on my front garden!!

comelyhomely
3 years ago

I’ve been living here eight years now, and am just now getting around to exterior updates to my little old house. I’ve gotten helpful feedback here already, but need to solidify my plans and get roots in the ground Spring 2021!

Pictures: Taken from across the street, the sidewalk right out front, and as far as I could get on the side. Please let me know if more are needed!

Note that the garden bed will be extended on the corner for a tree and the landing of the walkway will be wider, as shown below. New posts will be added to the stoop and downspouts connected to the underground drains “sometime soon”.

Goals: Not aiming for wow-factor, just a little something to make the house look well-kept & welcoming; distract from exposed foundation, electrical, and vent; neat & simple; low-maintenance (think some supplemental summer waterings and one or two trims a year); good value (planning to move in <5 years)

Bonus goals: Shade home office (front right) from afternoon sun; attract birds, bees, and butterflies

Site: Zone 5b; sandy soil; house faces west; no deer or rabbits; beds are 12.5x7’ and 10x7’ at front, 18x7’ at side, and SW corner will be curved out to a 6-7’ radius

Ideas: Plants selected so far are winterberry holly, cardinal flower, butterfly milkweed, and serviceberry, all native to the Canadian maritimes; my dear hydrangea will be rehomed since it doesn’t fit with the red/orange colour scheme

Questions: 1) Should I go with full-sized winter berries and keep them pruned (windows are ~5’ off the ground) or dwarf cultivars that only get to be 3-4’ round? 3) Would Canadian bunchberry work as ground-cover under the tree? 4) I’ve made a mock-up of the shrub placements and would put the cardinals & milkweed either side of the stoop, but what should I have on the left-most side? 5) Any other critiques/suggestions?

Sorry for the novel and thanks in advance!

Comments (18)