SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
julieste

Should I take 1' from small DR to make my tiny kitchen bigger?

julieste
3 years ago
last modified: 3 years ago

This is a townhouse with only one option to enlarge the kitchen--stealing space from the DR. We plan to completely gut the kitchen and do new everything. Current U shaped kitchen is 9' wide x 13' long. Current DR is 11' wide x 13' long. The orientation going from S to N is kitchen, DR, and a fully enclosed 13' long lanai. That 13' "wall" between the DR and the lanai has an open 8' arch, and there is a 4" step down from the DR into the lanai.

Right now there is a pass through window in the 13' wall between the kitchen and DR. We intend to eliminate the pass through window and instead make a doorway in that wall with a peninsula adjacent to the doorway.

This is a pretty tiny kitchen that doesn't allow for two people to comfortably work at the same time, so I'd like to try to enlarge the kitchen. The only way is to take some space from the dining room. If I steal a foot from the dining room, I will have a 10' wide by 13' long kitchen, and a 10' wide by 13' long DR.

1. Will an extra foot of width (changing the kitchen from 9' x 13' to 10' x 13') make the kitchen more useable for two people? One contractor said this change to move the wall would be about $4000. He thought it would give us a much more functional kitchen. Another contractor said he didn't think the space difference would be worth the cost (I don't know what his cost would be to move the wall out one foot).

2. Is a 10' by 13' DR large enough, especially considering that rather than a standard wall on the 13' side opposite the kitchen it's mainly an open wall with a step down? We have no other dedicated eating space in the townhouse. 95% of the time it just two of us living here. If (when) the pandemic ends we would hope to once again be able to host small dinner parties and/or have out-of-town family visit for a week or so.

3. If I do take space from the DR, how much could I realistically take and still be able to have DR space for four people to have a table? I figure on those rare locations I would have more than four people dining I could also temporarily set up an additional small table in a different location.

Thanks for your thoughts. Sorry for the lack of photos but I still haven't figured out how to post photos of my own space.

Comments (7)