SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
rick7072

Is it ok to start individual seeds directly in 3½" pots?

Rick (zone 6b, MA)
3 years ago
last modified: 3 years ago

Most articles I've seen about starting seeds recommend starting them in a small container such as a seed tray with cells and putting 1-3 seeds in each cell, then when the seeds have germinated and grown a few leaves, place the entire contents of each cell into a larger pot with more soil. Or alternately, sow many seeds together in a larger pot or tray and when the seedlings are of a decent size, "prick out" (as the Brits put it) the individual seedlings into another pot.

But I'm wondering if there's any reason not to start 1-3 seeds directly into a larger pot and then thin till you have only one good seedling? That's what I've done with a large number of Delphinium seeds, sowing 1-3 of them directly in individual 3½" pots. (Apparently they're called 3½" but they're actually 4” tall and 3.5” square.) After I get my one healthy plant per pot, I plan to leave each in its pot until April or whenever conditions are right for planting, unless I need to pot up to something even larger.

Is starting individual seeds directly into a 3½" pot a bad idea? Maybe something about it being harder to keep a tiny seedling watered properly if the pot is that much larger than the seedling?

I've always wondered about this and would appreciate others' thoughts.

Comments (8)