SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
betsy_santos

Pro advice needed on porcelain slab shower installation!

betsy santos
3 years ago

We’re in the middle/end of a major home renovation and (thankfully) have run into our first major issue. We used two 120” porcelain slabs (which they cut down by 8” because they didn’t fit through the door) for the shower walls. Everything was prepped way in advance with the proper materials (by our contractors) and templates were made by the installers prior to. In other words, PLENTY of opportunity to find out if the wall wasn’t plumb. Now, post install, there are very large gaps along the side (.25”-.5”) which I was able to stick flat metal measuring tape all the way behind it in different areas starting about halfway down to the floor. They swear that the panel isn’t “going anywhere” and that there’s plenty of adhesion to keep in in place, also because it’s behind the other panel in the corner. They (the installers) also said they would give us a warranty on the work indefinitely.

Am I nuts to accept this? They all have much to lose if we say “rip it out”, but I’ve read that it needs 95% adhesion and there’s about 50% max.

Can anyone offer insight?

Thanks!!!

Comments (12)