SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
jillianfl

Pro plz help tile changing hidden mold after new build shower install?

jillianfl
5 years ago
last modified: 5 years ago

Please help! Our house was new build and we moved in last May. There have been no issues until all of a sudden a few weeks ago I noticed the white subway tile along the base perimeter of the shower changing color! Bright ceramic white tiles turning a light bluish gray! I opened the shower door and a horrible mold smell came out, but there is no visible mold anywhere! There is cracking along the grout at the base (where they clearly should have used caulk I think it's all grout) but the smell was horrendous but distinctly mold smell not sewage back up or anything like that (i use the separate Jacuzzi tub always so i never paid attention to shower husband only uses it) It was like all of a sudden I walked by and notice the tile color change and then the smell was obvious at same time when I opened the door. Husband insisted on using the shower for a few more days until he conceded smell was getting worse and not going away. We haven't used it in almost 2 weeks now and for days after still horrible mold smell when shower door was opened. The tile people are coming to look on Fri. but i wanted outside advice. The smell has subsided now but we havent used shower for almost 2 weeks. But when i put my nose to the floor I could smell it vaguely again. No watermarks on ceiling of garage which is under our bathroom. The tiles have literally changed color though (I have read about efflecense and it doesn't seem to be that bc it's like color change from the inside) Also the grout they said had sealant / stain resist added to it (we paid extra for that) and it clearly is changing colors as well. Any Help from tile or potentially plumbing people would be so appreciated! Husband says plumbing seems to be operating normally though (he opened the drain cover and looked down?) But what other hidden issues could there be? The mold smell was so incredibly overpowering though for days after the shower was in use we had to stop using. I'm so afraid we have large hidden mold somewhere but with no obvious leaks is that possible? Would mold behind the tile change it's color like this? It was all uniformly white when installed! Builder said shower went directly onto sheet rock (so no drywall there) please help so we know what to insist on when the tile place comes thanks so much! Will post pics in comments bc I cant seem to include them here!

Comments (18)

Sponsored
High Point Cabinets
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars21 Reviews
Columbus' Experienced Custom Cabinet Builder | 4x Best of Houzz Winner