SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
mbethard

black mold in brand new shower

Help! I had bathroom walls and a shower retiled about two months ago with marble subway pattern on the walls and a mosaic pattern on the shower pan and niche. Almost immiedately we began seeing black mold on the shower pan, and very shortly thereafter, it appeared on the upper walls and ceiiling of the shower. It is now appearing randomly in different spots on the walls. I also have cracking of the grout in several areas throughout the pan, and I just noticed some cracking starting on one area on one wall. AND, yesterday, I believe I saw black mold creeping out behind the thermostatic control valve. I am very diligent about scrubbing the mold that I see each day, and sometimes it comes clean, but most of it has not. We are also very mindful about squeeging the shower glass and pan after each use, and wiping down all of the hardware so that it is completely dry - and, yes, we do have a fan which we leave on for several hours after each use, and we generally leave the shower door open also. I am starting to think that this might be an installation problem. Does anyone have some input they can share? Much appreciated.

Comments (9)