SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
marys235

Flooring suggestions for exercise/storage room

marys235
3 years ago

We are in the process of buying a house that has a 2nd floor "bonus" room, about 500 s.f. We plan to put some of those big metal shelves along one wall for storage, and use the other half for our exercise room (elliptical machine and stationary bike). It has carpet now that needs to be replaced. I would like to use some durable hard surface since it would be less dusty and easier to clean, but don't want to spend a fortune since it's really just a storage room and no one is likely to see it but my husband and I. Ideally I want something that wouldn't cost much more than carpet. The rest of the house has wood floors, and I was thinking wood laminate or wood-look sheet vinyl or vinyl planks, but everything I've looked at in the price range I want has bad reviews - the laminates seem to chip easily, vinyl seems to tear easily. Not sure vinyl would be good with the heavy exercise equipment & shelves w/boxes. The more expensive laminate/vinyl is more durable and looks much more realistic, but I don't need it to look just like wood, I just want it to be durable and look okay.

We don't want to use ceramic tile, just because it's so hard to remove if we decide to do something else with the room later. Can anyone suggest a reasonably priced durable alternative to carpet? Or should I just stick with carpet? There are so many new flooring options, thought there might be something I haven't thought of.

Comments (13)