SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
publickman

The elephant in the room - exercise dilemma

Lars
6 years ago

About a week before Christmas, my brother and I bought an elliptical machine to help us with aerobic exercise. We got rid of the Weider universal gym that was in our sewing/exercise/guest room, and that room is now more or less just a sewing room/guest room, and so our guests might like that. I still have a few free weights and yoga pads in there, but they do not take up much space. We also moved the sofa that was in the living room (where the occasional chair is now) into the guest room, and that might make it difficult for us to put up the inflatable queen size bed, although the twin bed will fit okay. We only use inflatable beds in our guest room because we so seldom have guests and need the room for other things, such as a cutting table for sewing, or an ironing board. Anyway, there is no need for a permanent bed in there.

The new exercise machine is right in front of the front door, and so now it is the first thing you see when you enter the door. There is plenty of space for it, but it does block my view of the tapestry behind it when I am watching TV. I do use this machine about five times a week, and so I think I am okay with having it where it is, and I can also easily watch TV or listen to music of my choice through our sound system and can control that easily.

It seems a bit of an eyesore, but since I use it so much and need the exercise for my health, I am willing to put up with it where it is. My brother also uses it about as often as I do. He could use the company gym at Sony, where he works, but he prefers this option, as it is easier to change clothes at home, and he does not have to wait for a machine to be available.

When I was younger, I enjoyed going to gyms, but at this stage of my life, that is something that I dread more than enjoy.

I also want to get a swimming pool for our back yard (which would eliminate most of our lawn), but the largest I would have room for (without losing too much) would be 27'x14', and my doctor told me that I would not get sufficient exercise from such a small pool unless I had jets installed to swim against. I'm considering that, but it would add about $12K to the cost of the pool. I'm thinking that is okay, if it will fit in our yard. I'm getting quotes for the pool now, and we may have to wait until we sell some land before we can afford what we want. We also have mountain bikes but have not been using them lately. When we lived in Venice, I rode my bike along the beach path almost every day, but after a while, I got tired of dodging pedestrian tourists who would walk on the "bikes only" paths. I lost count of how many of them I ran into, but my record for one day was three - a Fourth of July. We have to drive to get to the real mountain bike trails, which I really prefer, but then I don't like driving either.

Comments (21)

Sponsored
KP Designs Group
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars50 Reviews
Franklin County's Unique and Creative Residential Interior Design Firm