SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
webuser_249188696

Kitchen Design Dilemma!

JN1355
3 years ago

Kitchen design input desperately needed! We currently have this odd triangular shaped peninsula. We are finally ready to completely overhaul the kitchen, adjacent living room, and refinish/fill in the hardwood floors for our family of 6 (four kids ages 4 through 9).

Fridge- Should the fridge be moved to the other wall where the double oven is currently? I am hoping to recess my standard depth fridge into the wall (between kitchen and dining room), but not sure about cutting into studs on a 2 story house. Designer thinks no... that it would require a new header and isn't worth the 3 inches. I don't really want to replace the fridge. It works well and I really can't stand to lose any cubic feet.

Cooktop- I want a 36" induction cooktop. I'm open to a) double wall ovens next to the fridge on the short wall or b) built-in 30" range below the cooktop (see picture). The second option would give us more counter and cabinet storage on the short wall, which I think we will need because it is across from the dishwasher (in the island).

Pantry- We currently have a pantry closet, but if possible it would be great to incorporate pantry cabinetry in the kitchen design so we can transform the closet into extra storage and space for the kids coats, backpacks, boots right next to the garage door. I see many kitchens with 24" pantry cabinetry built in next to the fridge. I love the look, but would personally hate 24" depth, even with roll out trays. I think the upper shelves would be pointless. Instead, I am thinking a 12 or 16" depth would make more sense and think it could work out well on the angled short wall. If we put any cabinetry on that angled wall, it needs to be shallow so it doesn't impede the walkway. The angle is awkward, but I'm hoping we can figure out cabinetry to handle it.

The designer has drawn up this 3D model. She suggested floating shelves, but that's not my style. Also, there is no cabinetry across from the dishwasher for dishware, which I think is a pretty big deal. We will take down the ceiling fan and add in more can lights. Island will be one level with 3-4 barstools.

W

Comments (14)