SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
julie_collins7893825

Kitchen Design Dilemma - Creative Advice??

Julie Collins
2 years ago

We have a 1930s home that has been added onto twice by previous owners. Unfortunately this left the kitchen land locked in the middle of the home. The house was also left with it's formal entry configuration meaning you enter the foyer, go left through the living room, dining room, and kitchen to get to the back of the house. The result is we do not use the front door. The home also has a large back family room with bi-fold doors that opens onto a patio and has a back door. We adore it. We live in it. We entertain often and love the big open feel.

The delimma - we worked with an architect who drafted umpteen zillion plans - bless him. We worked hard to keep a lot of existing features of the home, and minimize some quirks. (too much to post here) The result is an open kitchen concept in the back of the house. I really don't love this. The idea of dirty dishes, or running water while I'm relaxing, or sitting by the fire makes me crazy.

The delimma part 2 - we have load baring issues. On the plans you will see two squares that represent decorative columns that are supporting a full second floor. Ideally I'd like not to need an engineered beam. You'll see in the final design that we have incorporated a pantry into this space.

My questions

• Open the house up to the front door and create a long galley kitchen that you walk through? Weird?
  • Linear kitchen on one wall across from a pantry and kitchen (in the space created by the columns)? Are linear kitchens functional?
  • Other awesome creative or inspired ideas to allow me to have a functional kitchen separate from the backroom?

Thanks in advance for all your great suggestions!

Comments (7)

Sponsored
RTS Home Solutions
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars3 Reviews
BIA of Central Ohio Award Winning Contractor