SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
venexiano

Best flooring for house with both wood subfloor and concrete subfloor

venexiano
3 years ago
last modified: 3 years ago

I bought a 2400 sqf house. It now has carpet everywhere. Below the carpet I have concrete slab in the new part (built in 2009, ~800 sqft) and the old house has a wood subfloor with on top a solid hardwood flooring (old house, built in 1959, ~1600 sqft). As you see from the pictures, the solid wood (old house) is about 3-4 mm below the level of the concrete slab (new house). Sanding the old ugly (thin planks) solid wood is not an option.

If possible, I want the same flooring everywhere. I am considering 2 options: Engineered wood and wood-looking porcelain tiles. Ruled out Luxury Vinyl for aesthetic reasons. Which do you think is the best option for this house with the step?

I have the following questions:

1) I would like to have continuous flooring between the 2 areas without transition areas, for open floor effect (9 foot opening, see picture). However, I am afraid that differential settlings between the old and new house might crack the floor. I am willing to take the risk of no transition if repair cost not too large. With no transition and wood, would wood damage (if any because it is flexible) be located only around the discontinuity both in case of floating or glued wood? Could the entire backer board be lifted and tiles popped/cracked if running over the discontinuity in case of tiles? Do you have a ballpark of the cost of a repair for differential settling in the no-transition scenario with tiles and wood?

2) Should I keep the old solid wood flooring or remove it? Keep it if engineered wood and remove if tiles, right?

3) Which is the best way to make the two parts of the house level in the two cases (tiles or engineered wood)?

4) If I go for hardwood engineered, should I go for the floating one? It could be put directly on a concrete slab, and I avoid the warping that I could get if I nail it to the old solid wood flooring.

5) As for tiles on the wood subfloor side, should I go with a backer board or membrane such as Ditra?

Thank you

Comments (11)