SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
bellsmom

Wood flooring in 500 sq ft room on concrete subfloor? Help!

bellsmom
10 years ago

This is a cross post from flooring. Glennsfc gave me some ideas there, but I usually post here. Maybe someone here can help.

We need to replace the carpet in our huge (by our standards, anyway) master bedroom suite. The carpet is old, ugly, hard to clean, and pet stained.

This 500 sq. ft. bedroom ''suite'' (bedroom, walk-in closet, and large bath) is an addition by a previous owner. The floor is heavy poured concrete with a full basement (mostly garage) beneath, so moisture should not be a problem. The basement was originally cisterns before city water was available, but the only water there now is a little seepage along a back wall. All basement walls are totally or partially above ground.

Most of the colonial-style house has red oak flooring, some of it pegged and all of it original to a 40 years ago remodel or the original 70 years ago build--except for the section we replaced when we remodeled the kitchen a year ago.

We have pets and are avid gardeners, and trying to keep carpet vacuumed with a shedding 80 pound dog, two cats, and muddy boots is a PIA.

I had planned to put in red oak when my available money recovered from the kitchen remodel, but when I recently cut out the floor of an elevated closet to slide in a new washing machine, I discovered the concrete slab is immediately beneath the carpet and padding. No sub floor.

I did briefly consider cork, but the room faces southwest, and sunlight definitely could cause a fading problem, which I now understand cork is subject to.

I really do NOT like the look of most prefinished flooring. I especially dislike the v-grooves between planks. I have neer seen a laminate I liked and that I thought would stand up to our heavy use.

I will be heading to local flooring stores to look at options next week. In addition, I have a great floor guy whom I have contacted, although he has not yet come to check things out.

What ARE my options?
What do you recommend?
What should I look at or for? What questions should I ask floor guy?
What website or sites might I check for info/ideas?

I HATE being so ignorant of the options open to me.

I REALLY will appreciate your help!

Sandra

Comments (17)