SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
ezwicky2

Sleepers and sub-floor over corrupted concrete garage floor

Eric Zwicky
3 years ago
last modified: 3 years ago

Old American 4-square house, 16 x 16 garage on the alley, the floor is cracked and buckling in places. It's difficult to open and close the old heavy sliding doors because they rub on the raised-up areas of concrete. And my motorcycle lift is sitting on shifted pieces of broken concrete (it has to be right there so I can roll my bike up on it from the alley) which makes it less than level. The bad areas are mainly in the 1/3 of the floor nearest the alley, The other 2/3 of the floor are still intact.

I can either:

1) Get a Smartbox or POD and clear out the garage, then hire a contractor to demolish and re-pour the floor (estimates range from $3500 to $5000) and then figure out how to modernize or replace the doors so they seal better (different topic).

or

2) Lay a wood floor over the concrete using 2x4 treated sleepers and OSB subfloor and (?) over that.

Cost-wise and effort-wise, the latter option is way better for me.

In case it matters: There are no utilities nor drain in the floor. The foundation and one wall is cinder-block. The other three walls are metal of some kind (raised-seam). Nothing is insulated out there, but if I can get the door-sealing figured out, I might look at insulating the roof and sides and putting some kind of heating but that's another topic for later.

So for option 2, does anybody have an opinion either pro or con? Any caveats or suggestions?

Thanks in advance for your time and advice.

Eric

Comments (7)