SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
corrigan_gw

Engineered wood over concrete subfloor

corrigan
16 years ago

We are going to install a 5/8" engineered wood over a concrete subfloor - my husband plans on doing it himself. We aren't sure what method we'd like to use, though. Obviously, everyone will have different opinions, but I want to hear them all. :) Plus, I have a question that might be kind of dumb, but he's sleeping and I don't know if he already knows the answer and I'm not going to wake him up to find out. lol So that question is, if we decide to install a plywood subfloor and nail the wood floor down (the manufacturer says nailing is fine for this floor), then do we need to glue down whatever layer (felt?) that goes between the plywood and the concrete or do we just unroll it, then screw the plywood down and install the flooring?

I've been reading a lot about floating floors and it seems like a lot of people don't like the way they feel. Would anyone here please comment on that?

Oh, and we're going to be installing the floor soon, so it will be winter. I've read one of the reasons to do the floating installation is so that it's easy to remove and replace any pieces that might crack, etc. Is there a big risk that the floor will buckle or anything, once the weather warms up (and gets humid) in Memphis?

I've also heard that gluing down can be a big headache for DIYers without any experience with it. Anyone have any comments on that?

I know I've asked a lot of questions, so please answer anything you feel qualified to answer and leave the rest. :) TIA!

Comments (10)