SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
mjjwmb

Super high HVAC quote, does this seem legit?

Mike J
3 years ago

I am renovating a home in Northeast Ohio and am removing the boiler heat and replacing it with forced air furnace and AC. The home is only about 2000sf, on two levels with a partially finished basement. There is some creative ductwork that needs to be done as the basement ceiling is low and there is some usable space that I'd like to maintain decent headroom in. The home is down to studs, with all electrical and plumbing removed as well. I received a rough quote from a Lennox dealer between 23k and 30k, I thought this was crazy high! This includes ductwork as well. I realize the duct work is expensive, and Lennox is a premium brand, however he is insistent that the only way the system (with ductwork in the attic) will work is to zone it, which adds substantial cost. I'm not an expert, but I am certain that most moderately sized two story homes in the city do not have zoned HVAC just because they are two stories. I am also leery of the maintenance issues that come along with zoning. Any guidance would be appreciated! I have two more companies coming Tuesday for quotes, but I don't want to get scammed!

Comments (38)

Sponsored
John Romans Construction
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars1 Review
Franklin County's Full Service, Turn-Key Construction & Design Company