SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
cassandra_devine12

Should I invert the floor plan of my vacation home to maximize views?

Cassandra Lynne
3 years ago
last modified: 3 years ago

I am building a three story vacation home across the road from a lake and trying to find the best ways to maximize the lake views. The house is on a upsloping lot so I am planning to do a walk out basement with a pool area, indoor/outdoor kitchen, games room and a self contained guest apartment. I have the option to put a double garage under the main floor in the basement, put it up on the main floor in an L shape configuration (though that would push the whole house down the hill closer to the main road) or put one garage on the main level and another garage on the basement level. On the main floor and upper floor I have the option to do a traditional configuration with a main level kitchen/dining/great room, laundry and guest bedroom and then three bedrooms on the upper floor. However, there is no lake view from the main level. Alternatively, I'm thinking of flipping/inverting the floor plan so that the bedrooms are on the main level with the laundry and the great room/living/kitchen are on the upper floor, where there are views of the lake. I am trying to work out which configuration will be better for resale value. I know that the most common complaints of this design is having to bring groceries upstairs from the garage (which will either be in the basement or the main level), but I am planning to install an elevator, will that solve the problem? Also, if I do one garage on the basement level with a full kitchen, then it would be possible for someone with mobility issues to live entirely on the basement level. My other concern about this floor plan is if guests come it might be a bit strange for them to enter the house on the bedroom level, and answering the doorbell would be a bit of a pain, but I was thinking of installing some kind of intercom system to buzz people up when they arrive at the front door. So, honest opinions please: if you were buying a vacation home would you prefer having an open plan living area and deck with views, or would you prefer level entry access even if that means no lake views?

Comment (1)