SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
melissaaipapa

It's pruning time!

Three weeks and counting after our 20"/50 cm snowfall, there's still quite a lot of snow on the ground. However, we have a warm garden and much of the snow is--finally--gone, and I can start cutting back all the trees and shrubs that got bowed-split-broken-squashed by their white burden. It's heavy stuff, as I found out when I tried to shift armfuls of it off the northeastern side of my yellow buddleia that had canes of 'Mme. Alfred Carriere' growing over it. The buddleia, I believe B. x weyeriana is the name, though I forget the cultivar ('Sungold?), has a lot of broken branches and is getting a severe cutting back, which I hope it will recover from as it's an excellent plant, long-lived for a buddleia, large, and handsome. MAM is also as prostrate as a climbing rose on a pergola, and sprawling over the surrounding shrubs, can be--part of the pergola came down--as is the mature pittosporum growing in the same area. I tend not prune for the sake of pruning, so all these plants are pretty large and have flopped or broken impressively. If the pittosporum can handle losing perhaps half its volume, the garden will be the better for its size reduction. And with it cut back I'll be able to get to MAM and give it a needed pruning to remove aged and dead growth.

This is just one corner of the garden. Some days ago I was wading through the snow and cleaning up the olives, while DH cut back and tied up the numerous Italian cypresses, though they still need much work on a ladder. I haven't even been down to the shade garden and the woods below it since the Christmas snow, and have no idea what's happening there. The large willow in the shade garden has form for breakage, though. The little patch of garden right next to the house needs a lot of work--it too is rich in long-unpruned shrubs, including the over-ten-feet-tall Salvia guaranitica that snakes through the whole area and dies back only during winters that get actually cold, like this one. The various bay laurels need pruning back. The box hedges require trimming. The big climbing roses also have their usual grueling winter pruning and training coming up. And all the other routine pruning and cleanup of winter.

The silver lining to all this damage is the considerable amount of organic matter I'll get for the garden; and I expect most of the plants will recover pretty quickly. The weather has finally turned warmish after weeks in the thirties and upper twenties: highs are forecast to get up into the forties, perhaps even the fifties! It was also uniformly cloudy for what seemed like forever, but we've been enjoying some sun recently. And the days are getting longer: usually I can feel the change in my body around the end of January or beginning of February. Not so far away now.

Comments (6)