SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
snidget150

Need help with Pruning/Straightening a Redbud

Snidget150
9 years ago

Hi All,
I'm new here and a complete newb with trees. We purchased a redbud 3 years ago. It probably wasn't the specimen I should have gotten, but I didn't know any better. It's about 8-10 ft tall (I'm not sure where exactly you measure to for height) and is under a partial canopy of large maple trees.
Last year the redbud had a very low leaning branch. It lay on the ground. Since this is a residential backyard, I would like to be able to at least SEE under it. So come winter, I pruned it off completely.
This summer, the tree is doing the same. It seems all of the lower branches are very tip-heavy now that the leaves are fully in and the branches are bending tremendously with the weight. What should I do? I don't feel that the rest of the tree is large enough to be used to tie these branches up.
I've also come to realize that the leader has bent off to one side as a branch as well. The leader is about 7 feet off the ground. Most of the tree, in fact, exists on the one side (in part because the sun is that way and in part because I stuck it in the ground that way?) And honestly, looking at it from that angle (pic below), the whole thing is leaning at the top. gah.
If all goes correctly, I'm including photos. What in the world can I do to make this tree aim upwards? It is roped to a stake at the 4-5" level. No building behind to strap it to, just a fence back there.

Comments (11)