SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
publickman

Grinding wheat berries for flour for bread; conversion to ounces?

Lars
3 years ago
last modified: 3 years ago

Yesterday I started making some whole wheat bread and then realized that I did not have any whole wheat flour. So I proceeded to grind some wheat berries instead. My plan was to make 50% whole wheat Pullman bread.

My first mistake was that I measured the wheat berries with a measuring cup instead of weighing them, even though I have plenty of scales. My recipe calls for measuring the whole wheat flour in cups (2-1/4 cups in this case), but I am unsure how much this would weigh, as I have seen wildly varying conversions, from 4 oz per cup (on King Arthur site) to 4.57 oz. per cup to 5.11 oz. per cup.

My mistake was in not measuring the flour in cups before adding it to the liquid mixture. The last time I ground wheat berries, I measured the flour I got in my cup measuring cups, and so there was no problem, but for some reason, I transferred the ground flour directly into the bowl with the liquid ingredients.

My other mistake was trying to grind 2-1/4 cups of wheat berries all at once in my Vitamix blender dry ingredients container. I noticed quickly that this was not going to work, and so I poured out the top two thirds of the wheat berries into a bowl to be ground separately. Then I continued grinding the remaining 1/3 in the blender. However, it appears that I did not grind this long enough before I dumped the flour into the bowl with the wet ingredients, and so there were a few hard bits of wheat berries left. I should have let this mixture soak for a while 🤷.

The rest of the wheat berries I ground sufficiently into flour, but I still do not know what the measurement of this flour was.

I used my KA mixture to combine all the ingredients, leaving out the last 1/4 cup of white flour, in case I did not need it, but I ended up adding 3 Tbsp to finish the dough. Then I let the dough rest in the mixer bowl covered for half an hour, so that it could hydrate, and then I turned the mixer on again to finish the kneading.

After that, the procedure went as normal, but the bread came out a bit dense, and there are a few crunchy bits in the bread. I don't think that this is too much of a problem, but I would prefer for the crunchy bits not to be in there.

My main question is - what weight of wheat berries should I grind to make the equivalent of 4-1/4 cups of whole wheat flour? I plan to weigh the berries in the future, grind them in batches, and make sure that they are fully ground.

Comments (9)