SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
annegriet

When is the last time you spoke with someone you went to high school?

Annegriet
3 years ago

Just kinda piggy-backing on the how far do you live from where you grew up. I was about 24 when I last spoke to a friend from high school. I think she called me to tell me she was engaged. It was an out of the blue call. I think she was excited and calling everyone she knew. We weren't friends really at that point and it seemed strange. We never spoke again and I haven't spoken to anyone from high school since then.

Comments (67)

• Fun2BHere
    3 years ago

I was contacted by a member of my high school class in 2019 regarding attending a reunion that year. Other than that, I talked to someone from high school in 1995 when I happened to be in my hometown for a few weeks.

Annegriet thanked Fun2BHere
  • HU-178658043
    3 years ago

About 32 years ago. I unexpectedly ran into an old GF at a party, 20 years after graduation.

Annegriet thanked HU-178658043
  • Related Discussions

When was the LAST time you saw some of these???

Q

Comments (14)
    Congrats to MaryBeth! I was still awake and finishing a very simple quilt at 1am last night and I was thinking of her beautiful and elaborate quilts. I'm so glad she's getting recognition for her skills! I loved your pictures, Tony. I too grew up with peonies, tulips, lilacs, hostas, lily of the valley, etc. These are still some of my favorites and I'm sure I will always miss them. Kate
    ...See More

When You Were In Grade School Did You....?

Q

Comments (26)
    I went to a one room school house. We had to make our own valentine boxes. We had to give everyone a valentine and I remember we didnt want to give too mushy of one to some of the boys but we were all friends. We had a party for that and all of the other holidays and I remember our mothers would come and bring all of our younger siblings along so it got quite crowded. We had about 25 kids in school. Im sure with all of the others there was probably 50 people there. What I remember the most was a chicken that we made out of hearts. The body was a large heart and smaller hearts were glued on to make the neck, head, wing, tail and legs. I sure wish I had the pattern for it. Does anyone else remember this?
    ...See More

when was the last time you threaded a needle?

Q

Comments (25)
    At about 10:30 pm last night I got the needle threaded....dumb luck really. I had poked and prodded, and finally got the darn thing through. I wasted no time sewing the button on his pants before I lost my timing. So all is well, but I think I will go on a search for needles with a large eye. The one I was threading was for quilting, and they are tiny. I liked the suggestions of putting a white background behind the needle best. I would have never thought of that. I hate getting old and asking for help, but it is what it is...... Trin
    ...See More

When was the last time you had pizza?

Q

Comments (32)
    We have pizza quite often...it's something easy when our "gang" gets together unexpectedly. We have nights where we get together and play board games...that's a good pizza night. Plus everynow and then I make homemade pizza. try one of these sometime... Tortilla pizza 1 flour shell spread Ragu pizza sauce on it add browned ground beef green peppers onions black olives Whatever you like Cover with Mozzarella cheese Put in oven. (I get the larger Tortilla's for burritos) These are good.
    ...See More
  • Bookwoman
    3 years ago

A couple of weeks ago. I'm still close friends with three women I went to high school with, two of whom also went to college with me.

Annegriet thanked Bookwoman
  • aok27502
    3 years ago

Let's see, 1982. I graduated in 1981, and moved away literally the next day. One of my classmates went to the same university, and I saw him a couple of times the first year. That's it.

Annegriet thanked aok27502
  • Zalco/bring back Sophie!
    3 years ago

Alumni fundraisers and class correspondents keep in regular touch looking for money and updates for the school magazine. I speak to someone from my class at least six times a year just for those reasons. For personal reasons, it's less common- maybe twice a year.

Annegriet thanked Zalco/bring back Sophie!
  • Lars
    3 years ago
    last modified: 3 years ago

I missed the "how far do you live from where you grew up" thread. I live 1400 miles west from where I grew up.

Annegriet thanked Lars
  • Bookwoman
    3 years ago

Zalco, based on something you wrote in another thread, your husband and I went to the same university, only I'm a fair bit older than he is so we didn't overlap. I wanted to message you, but you don't seem to have that enabled. (Sorry for going off-topic, folks.)

Annegriet thanked Bookwoman
  • amylou321
    3 years ago

Graduation day.

I sometimes run into one of my high school friends mom in Walmart. And one of my sisters is Facebook friends with a lot of my high school friends. I hope all are well,but don't really care to know a lot of details of their lives.....

Annegriet thanked amylou321
  • raee_gw zone 5b-6a Ohio
    3 years ago

I think about 6 years ago, when a former BF tracked me down on FB - not in a creepy way, just to say high and share how our lives had turned out. He also apologized for the way he broke up with me.

I had a very small circle of friends in high school, none terribly close - I am a super introvert and also having changed schools 4 times - it was only the group of students that were "tracked" with me into the same class 4th through 6th grade that I ever really connected with.

So, beyond that, I don't recall having had any contact with anyone from my high school since about a year or so after I graduated. I had been in touch with my best friend from before and through elementary school not long before she passed away in 2011.

Annegriet thanked raee_gw zone 5b-6a Ohio
  • Cherryfizz
    3 years ago

Every day. Most of my local friends on FB are my friends in real life and people I went to grade school and high school with. We grew up in a small community and where a lot of us still live. Some are out of town, some are in other countries, and some are just a short drive to the county away.

Annegriet thanked Cherryfizz
  • sealavender
    3 years ago

I see them regularly on FB, but the last time I had an in-person conversation was the last time I was in 2019. I am on the opposite coast now.

Annegriet thanked sealavender
  • lily316
    3 years ago

I exchanged emails with one who was a semi friend in HS yesterday. . Most of the gang isn't on social media but I did call one of my best friends last year and we had a long conversation. My very best friend died of Parkinson's years ago.

Annegriet thanked lily316
  • nickel_kg
    3 years ago

I left high school and didn't look back. My close friends were military brats, and none of them stuck around our area. I corresponded with Heather for a few years, but we both moved on to college friendships. There were a few HS cliques who sent reunion announcements to my parent's address, but no thanks, not interested in the cliques then and not interested now.

DH went to a smaller public school system and still talks with a few people he's known since grade school. (I've become friends with a couple of them too.) We've encouraged our daughter to value her friendships. She is still close to a few middle school and high school friends as well as some college friends. And some friends from her early working years ... come to think of it, she's doing an excellent job of maintaining contact, yay!

Annegriet thanked nickel_kg
  • nicole___
    3 years ago

Wow...I could write a book. A lot of these people I went to JR. High with as well:

I ran into Kurt, at work. He was in communications, I worked in IT. He was still stunning to look at. ☺ He said his boss hated him. He'd just married a girl he barely knew. Back story; he'd won a weekend 2 nights stay in a gambling town up in the mountains. Asked this girl to go with him, knocked her up. .

Right after high school, my friend Kim M. went to college for 4 years. Graduated with a degree in television production. She moved in with my husband and myself. We supported her for 4 months while she got on her feet. She ended up programming in Basic, for a health insurance company.

Kathy K. I ran into in a restaurant. She worked for an insurance company & later retired from there. Her best friend Kim, they were always together, never saw one without the other, in high school. Kim became a heroin addict, left town, moved to Alaska to put distance between herself and her dealer when she got clean. I ran into Kim the day before she left town, she was working at a copying/UPS type store.

Char I ran into in the grocery store. Her little girl was the most gorgeous little thang I'd ever seen.....destined to be a top model or actress.

A few years ago, I worked with a gal in sales. She was pregnant her senior year. Now she was a 3 time divorcee with grandchildren.

Then Chuck. I was coming out of the grocery store with a bag full of groceries. That was awful. He said I was spoiled. Apparently he'd been the person who was breaking into my car in high school. A Volvo, I'd purchased with my paper route money.

Tom owned a recycled building materials store. I was switching out my bubble skylights for flat glass. I took them over to see if he wanted to buy the old bubble ones.

A few more....but .....that's a novel right there. ☺ I'm "not" keeping in touch with any of them. Just interesting to hear how their lives turned out tho.

Annegriet thanked nicole___
  • Elmer J Fudd
    3 years ago

I've remained in contact with five friends from high school. Two male, three female. I'm not a Facebook user so it's email, telephone, in person when possible.

One still lives in the city I grew up in, the others like me moved away decades ago. I'm closest of the distant four at 350 miles away. None are east of the Rockies.

The last time I spoke to one was on Tuesday.

I've remained in active contact and regularly see just one college friend, he's one of my best friends. There was a second but he died after unfortunately many years of illness.

Annegriet thanked Elmer J Fudd
  • LoneJack Zn 6a, KC
    3 years ago

About 2 hours ago when my best friend who I grew up with on the same street stopped by on his way home from work. We now both live a few miles apart out in the sticks about 30 miles from where we grew up.

All of my best friends all grew up in the same neighborhood and we've stayed close over the years.

Annegriet thanked LoneJack Zn 6a, KC
  • kathyg_in_mi
    3 years ago

Maybe 15 years.

Annegriet thanked kathyg_in_mi
  • PattiG(rose)
    3 years ago

I'm close to 3 friends from grade school. I talk to 2 of them several times a week, the other friend on occasion. I'm also on a FB group with a lot of people from grade school/high school.

Annegriet thanked PattiG(rose)
  • Kathsgrdn
    3 years ago

Haven't actually spoken to anyone but I keep in touch via text message/letters with a couple old friends.

Annegriet thanked Kathsgrdn
  • bpath
    3 years ago

I only speak in person with people I don’t text/message/email! But I non-verbally communicate with a dozen or so people I went to high school with, and knew, but not necessarily was good friends with then. One person that I used to talk to, and see, the person and their spouse worked in our HS and I helped out in the department. It was fun to reconnect in that way.

Annegriet thanked bpath
  • wildchild2x2
    3 years ago

At a celebration of life around a year and a half ago. But I have lots of Facebook friends who I went to school with even though we may not have hung out together at the time. Some of us meet up at a mutual friend's once a year for a BBQ which couldn't be held in 2020. We are all hoping for this summer.

Annegriet thanked wildchild2x2
  • phyllis__mn
    3 years ago

About a week ago, I think. My best friend in high school lives in The Villages in Florida. We are the only ones still living from our class. For a number of years, as widows, I flew down and drove back with her in the spring, and did the reverse in the fall. She still had kids living up here, but they're down in The Villages now, also.

Annegriet thanked phyllis__mn
  • pudgeder
    3 years ago

about 5 minutes ago. My hubby. We were HS sweethearts.

• matthias_lang
    3 years ago

Thirty eight years ago., five years after graduation. Obviously I do not have any friends from high school. Happened upon two different people, but both in the same year.

I saw the first person I on three occasions downtown across the street from where I was. I figured he must work where I kept seeing him, so I crossed the street to introduce myself anew. Our city is about 300 miles from where we went to high school, so it was a surprise. He had been in the class behind me and had also gone to the same grade school and church. We did not make a lasting connection.

The second was a woman who had been the year ahead of me in high school and was another who went to the same grade school and church. It is not as though that high school were largely fed by my church or grade school-- just a coincidence. I met her at a place I where I was volunteering. She was in town to visit a friend who was also a volunteer and had a commitment for the weekend, so my old high school mate came along with him. Again, no lasting connection was made.

Relatedly, the mother of a high school mate came from my home town to see how our charity was run. I don't remember how we happened onto the fact that I'd gone to school with her son. It is a very common surname, so it is not as though I recognized it. She seemed sort of wistful that someone as young as I was at the time was doing that work and hinted that her son, my classmate, was kind of going a bad way.

• pkpk23
    3 years ago

Went to same college as one person from high school graduating class. She dropped out after two years- 1965 last year I talked to anyone from my high school.

• marilyn_c
    3 years ago

Every day on FB. I think the last time I actually spoke to someone that I went to high school with, was about 9 months ago. She called me. A friend that I met in first grade, but moved away before high school, found me on FB and visited me here about last spring. I am pretty close to everyone I knew in high school...at least we talk on FB. Everyone is very scattered as far as locations. I went to a very small school.... 22 in my graduating class. Most I knew since we started 1st grade together.

• functionthenlook
    3 years ago

Just two week ago we talked. She lives 45 min on the other side of town so I don't see her as often as I would like. The last time her, her hubby and her granddaughter who is close to the same age as my granddaughters visited was the weekend before Thanksgiving. Our grands like playing with her grand and of course we enjoy her and her hubbies company. I watch my grands on the weekend, but haven't for the past month since her employer was yet another of many businesses that did not survive from another Governor Scrooge lockdown and was unemployed. My daughter just found out today she got a new job and starts this coming week. Yea! So I think next weekend if they are free it would be a good time to get together again.

• ritamay91710
    3 years ago

Not since graduation day 1982.

• joyfulguy
    3 years ago

Several in a family whose children went to a small elementary school with me still run a farmer's market nearby, so I see a couple of them occasionally. I've met their next door neighbour fellow a few times, mainly at remembrance day for vets in our village. Another, mainly connected with my younger brother, ran a cider mill nearby for years, retired a couple of years ago and I see him occasionally.

My cousin, who was in grade 12 when I was in 9, and taught me to dance, took voice training and has sung in our church choir for 75 years, on and off, depending on where she lived. I see her best friend from those days now also at that church, occasionally.

After moving to the Prairies and spending 1 1/4 years in grades 11 and 12, I've met three or four in passing in recent years while visiting my brother who stayed on our family's farm.

ole joyful

• jemdandy
    3 years ago

The last time I saw any of my high school classmates was 2014 when I attended my 60th class reunion. Many of us have passed away and the others are barely recognizable. One had dementia and mistook me for someone else.

• arkansas girl
    3 years ago

This is veering of topic but related....OK so just last week, I started thinking a lot about some old classmates and one girl in particular was on my mind. She was one of the very nice ones but also she was very popular. I ran across a key chain that she made for me in leather works class and I still had it after all these years. I got on facebook and took a trip down memory lane. I found her and then from her page, saw a lot of familiar names and looked at their photos. HUUUUU MAN, has everyone changed a whole lot (mostly). The girl I looked up at first was completely unrecognizable. Everyone looks so OLD now. I found it a bit refreshing to know that it isn't just me that is looking OLD now! HAHA! I suppose we can't look young forever as I'm closing in on 60 in a couple of years!

• Annie Deighnaugh
    3 years ago

I texted my buds yesterday. Still very close with gals I went to kindergarten with. We're like sisters.

• bengardening
    3 years ago

July 17 when we had our 50th class reunion

• lgmd_gaz
    3 years ago

Face to face, about 11 years ago at our 50th class reunion. But I talk to my very bestest childhood/school friend several times a year. Last time was a couple days before Christmas. I moved 200 hundred miles away from the town we lived in soon after graduation and am now about 90 miles from my home town.

• Yayagal
    3 years ago

Two days ago, my best friend is in another state but we are blessed to have such a great friendship. Three of my siblings live within four miles from me so that's another blessing

• C Marlin
    3 years ago

Last time was about five minutes... I knew my DH in high school.

This evening a two people we knew from high school are coming over for dinner. They did not meet and date while in high school, they both married other people, one spouse died, the other divorced but this couple met again at a get together and have been married for about ten years. The woman has been my friend since third grade. We live in Southern California, they live in Washington so we don't get together often, but we've vacationed with them several times.

• Alisande
    3 years ago

In November, when we talked on her birthday. We also connect on Facebook. I keep in close touch with two friends I grew up with, and siblings of one of them.

• marilyn_c
    3 years ago

Like C Marlin, I went to high school with Jody, my husband.

I had forgotten to mention that.

• amicus
    3 years ago

I had a group of about 8 female and male friends in highschool. We did everything together, but I was closest to 2 girls in the group, and one of the 2 was probably my best friend. I travelled with her and we went to cottages together, etc. But oddly enough, as the years went by, we didn't stay in touch as much as the other girl and I did, so that girl and I became closer. We talk every few weeks, and my former closest friend and I only talk, maybe twice a year. No falling out ever occurred, we just have a bit less in common as we grew older, while the other girl and I began to share more common interests. However the 3 of us are looking forward to meeting up, once Covid isn't a factor, as we haven't seen each other in person in 20 years!

• chisue
    3 years ago

The woman who called me about our HS reunion (2019) agreed that what we really wanted was a reunion with our grammar school classmates. There were only enough of us 'barely pre-war models' (maybe 30?) to have one morning and one afternoon Kindergarten class. From first through sixth grade there were two classes of our grade level in that building. Soon the school had to be enlarged to start accomodating the post-war baby boomers. My group was combined with another to attend 7 - 8 in a third building in our town.

Then we were engulfed, with over 900 kids in my class at a township HS. The school was on double shifts by our junior year, when the taxpayers belatedly started construction of a second building. That opened the year after we graduated. The township soon had four high school buildings in three different suburban municipalities; the result of *over-building*. Now there are three HS buildings in the township.

• Rose Pekelnicky
    3 years ago

As far as speaking in person, many months. I do message and communicate online with a group of friends from high school

• rob333 (zone 7b)
    3 years ago

I stayed in contact with friends from high school that I did like. We'd been friends since junior high. They were all top ten academically and involved in our community even back then. A couple went onto to be special education teachers, for instance. I was in the top 10% of our class, if that counts, but can't say the same about being worth knowing :) I'm lucky they abide me. They were and are worth knowing.

I've actually added some from my high school at work (I live and work in Nashville, and went to school in Nashville after elementary). I work for a very large employer for our city and there are a million graduates from my school there.

In person? I don't talk to anyone in person these days.

• jupidupi
    3 years ago

Upon graduation, I moved across the country and never looked back. But I had one friend with whom I exchanged occasional letters, and we had a wonderful visit about ten years ago. Back in high school, she was even flatter chested than me, and I used to wonder how she would ever get a guy. Turned out, she didn't want one. She's been with the same woman for about 40 years, raised two fine sons and in terms of family life, is probably my most stable friend.

• patriciae_gw
    3 years ago

The only person from high school I talk to is my brother. I did not have close friends at my last school though I had plenty of acquaintances but it was past the time for making those really close friends that I had in my previous school. My brother and I were the same grade but so different were our tracks in school I never saw him even once during the day at school..big school. We talk on the phone every couple of months or so. He lives halfway across the country. I gradually lost contact with my old close friends from my first high school. We all moved so much.

• joann_fl
    3 years ago

Just over a year ago I met up with her at a restaurant while she was visiting my state

• blfenton
    3 years ago

I have kept in touch with one girl. We met first day of high school in grade 8 and have stayed friends ever since. We were in each other wedding parties (another good question - how many stay in touch with their wedding party?) and still talk and precovid got together 4-5 times a year.

• desertsteph
    3 years ago

A few months ago. I'd IMd her this past yr and then a month or 2 back she called me. He son and his wife started working where my dd works. they ended up connected on FB (somehow - one of those your friends with xyz things) and she recognized my dd by name so she called to tell me. we talked for an hour or so. was so good to hear from her. last I saw her was at my mom's funeral in our home town in '98. I've wanted to send her a letter, so guess I should actually do that soon.

• Rho Dodendron
    3 years ago

Last summer at my nephews wedding an uncle of the bride sought me out to say Hello as we went to high school together. I have a 'friend' I met at age 3 who went from K---12 with me. Let's just say we are close to 50th reunion year. We now have a mutual freind and see each other every few years.

• Marilyn Sue McClintock
    3 years ago

Yesterday. We talk very often on the phone. I have some others I still keep in touch with.

Sue

Sponsored
CHC & Family Developments
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Industry Leading General Contractors in Franklin County, Ohio