SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
megan_reeves

Should we keep our block planter?

Megan Day
3 years ago
last modified: 3 years ago

We bought our first home last year and are slowly working on our long list of projects. I'd like to get a move on our backyard in preparation for this spring/summer. Most of our backyard is lined by an ugly 5 ft high block wall and then a 1 1/2ft high block planter. We need to decide whether we keep the planter in its entirety (maybe reface it with stucco?), remove sections of it to make space for some trees, or take it all down.

• Keep entire planter: Wouldn't have to do the work to take down planter. Won't have to find a way to dispose of planter blocks (Looks like it's about $500 for a roll-off dumpster that will take cement.). Would use the planter to grow vines/shrubs to cover ugly block wall and add privacy. Would use the sunniest areas of planter for vegetable garden. Planter is too narrow for many tree varieties and I really want some trees!
  • Keep parts: Could try to remove sections of the planter so we can plant trees which I'd like for privacy in a few places and some natural shade. Would have to use the removed section's scraps to try and "cap off" the sections of planter so they're enclosed. Would still allow us to have raised planter beds for vegetables.
  • Take it all down: Could re-envision the whole space. Would add trees, shrubs, and vines on trellises to cover the ugly block wall. Would be a lot of work to demo the planter. Would probably end up adding raised planters somewhere in the backyard for a vegetable garden.

I'd appreciate your thoughts and ideas!

**We're planning on removing this slab of concrete.

Comments (15)