SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
sivyaleah

Should We Thin Our Our Bamboo?

Laurie
17 years ago

We have quite the "grove" of bamboo on our property - it came along w/the house when we purchased it several years ago.

We don't know the species but we do know it's a running type and therefore, uncontrolled. We've managed to keep it relatively under control by kicking back the new growth when it encroaches in areas we don't want it (i.e.; the lawn) and this has worked quite well so far.

Anyway I digress. My husband was wondering, after doing some inspecting yesterday and realizing there are a lot of dead canes in the thicket if we should be removing these to allow more light to reach the interior of the grove. Or does it not matter? The bamboo is extremely high - most canes are at least as high as our 2-story home, if not higher.

I asked him to try and remember to take some pix, so that I could post it just in case you need to see visuals to identfy species in order to recommend care instruction. Obviously, they are doing very well and we know we don't need to do anything to have them grow - we just want to know how to get them to grow more! We love it - the look of it, the screening it affords us on that side of our yard, the look of it covered with snow and most of all, the sound it makes when the wind is pushing through it.

Thanks!

Laurie

Comments (3)

Sponsored