SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
rorosie_1

Removing Pine Sol odor on semi-rough hardwood floor

rorosie_1
3 years ago
last modified: 3 years ago

Any recommendations on how to eliminate Pine Sol odor/residue from worn hardwood floors?

We recently moved into a house, and I took up some carpet padding from a room revealing a hardwood floor that was obviously worn (down to the wood) and unsealed in many places. After removing the padding, I mopped the floor with Pine Sol because I was trying to remove spots of gooey residue from the padding. I have kept the room closed for weeks, and last week I began opening windows to air it out. Now, there is a definite odor in the room and it will not go away.

Again, the floor is quite worn in many areas, even down to bare wood. Pine Sol says on its products that it is only effective for finished and sealed surfaces, not worn or unfinished surfaces. This hardwood floor in many places is the opposite of finished and sealed. So, I would imagine that use of Pine Sol (or overuse, I probably used too much), would result in a lingering chemical odor in a room that has been closed off during the winter.

Would rinsing the floor with water help? How much or how light rinsing? Sop it all up with paper towels? Continue to air out room? Just try to wait it out? Any suggestions? Thank you!

Comments (3)

Sponsored
Dream Baths by Kitchen Kraft
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars12 Reviews
Your Custom Bath Designers & Remodelers in Columbus I 10X Best Houzz