SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
webuser_753685030

Help! Kitchen renovation design advice

M P
3 years ago
last modified: 3 years ago

This is my first kitchen renovation...and close to the end I’m starting to panic about the design.

The original design was to have a no upper cabinet wall, huge island, and pantry wall. We also wanted a cool quartz backsplash with some accent backlighting and wood shelves above we could put some display items on. I’ve attached a photo of one of our inspirations.

Now that I see it coming together, I’m having major second thoughts about everything.

Is the layout all wrong? Should the fridge have gone on the stove side with a floor to ceiling cabinet to anchor the wall with the stove? Sink in the island? Maybe put the sink under the window in an L shape?

Those aren’t very productive questions given layout decisions have been made.

So now I’m trying to focus on the smaller decisions - particularly how to deal with the backsplash. It isn’t at all what I wanted or expected. It feels out of place and I don’t know how to tie it all together now:

-the side light on the backsplash drives me nuts. I’m thinking of closing it off with counter to soffit dry wall? It would make the light only a softer horizontal strip that isn’t so visually overpowering

-I’m not sure I like the hood. Should I box it off with white dry wall and take it all the way to the ceiling to break up the soffit and add interest to the wall?

-the wall looks bare. Should I add horizontal cabinets? Stick with the long reclaimed wood beams? The backsplash unfortunately is 20.5” high and the ceilings only 8’ including the soffit so we can’t really do normal upper cabinets. Add a second backsplash going to the soffit in something with more color? Take out the backsplash entirely and do a counter to ceiling statement backsplash or backsplash with traditional uppers?

-replace the island light with something more traditional to soften the look?

We wanted to try something different while also having a very clean, simple, modern feel. I’m just not feeling it now that we’re seeing it in person and I’ve spent hours thinking through how to “save“ it....

Comments (8)