SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
tdemonti

Can we talk interior wood refinishing and wood stain color?

tdemonti
3 years ago
last modified: 3 years ago

I am redoing our living room/dining room and need to understand wood stain better. All input welcome.

A large 45 year old, yellowed pine bow window has been stripped and sanded as best as can be, and is ready for stain. Some stain remains in the grooves of the trim profile,and there are 3 small filler-patches to camouflage. We considered replacing the original trim with new but I opted to work with the old to maintain uniform color.

A floor refinisher was here today. I'd like to take the 25+ year old pre-finished red oak floor stains with what I believe is an old MinWax Rosewood to natural or light stain. Rosewood because a few pieces of floor board and a can of stain here when we moved in. Floor guy told me that he can sand to remove the bevel but the gap between boards will be more visible (seasonally) because the current stain is darker and the bevel casts a bit of a shadow.

I appreciated the education received from these contractors. The rest of the stained wood in the house has a red tone. I have not yet decided on wall color but they are primed. I'm okay with minor imperfections but have a gazillion questions and will start here -

Is there a light-to-medium stain color or stain mix that can be used to bring the old yellowed pine and the not-as-old red oak to a close match?

Going forward, how much do I need to be concerned about color changing with age?

Do I stain the filled patches with stain closest to the bare wood in order to receive a final stain, or blend the patches directly with the new (unchosen) stain ?

Would a red tone stain on yellow pine remain reddish or look orangish?

If anyone had pre-finished wood floor refinished, would you please share a photo? Color and wood species is unimportant but if you had pre-finished oak taken natural, I'd love to see it, please.

Thank you!

Comments (3)