SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
tye22tye

Smell in room, I think still coming from refinished wood floor.

tye22tye
8 years ago
last modified: 8 years ago

Hello,

Not sure if this would be the correct area to post this topic but hopefully I can get some help how to tackle this issue.

We have purchased a home that was a shortsale that needed some tlc inside. It basically needed new paint, interior doors, moldings, and the existing wood floors needed to be refinished. I guess the previous owners, when they had moved out of the home, they had left their pets in one of the rooms. You can see the stains in the wood floor from all the pee and poop. Before we had repainted, installed new doors, and moldings, and had the floors refinished, we basically scrubbed all the walls and floors down with vinegar and baking soda. Now that the floors were sanded, stained and two coats of oil-based poly, you can still see a little bit of the stains still in that particular room, but it wasn't a big deal since we had our floor stained dark anyway. The guys did the best they could sanding and showed us before all the stain and poly was applied. We were satisfied. Now, this room still has a tiny bit of a funky smell to it. Initially I thought maybe it was the poly, but this is the only room that has this smell, and is the only room with the pet stains, so it has got to be coming from the floor in this room.

Now with that said, is there any remedy at this point that can be done? I thought for sure that two coats of oil-based poly would seal any smells in. What can I do? I feel bad that this turned out to be my son's room. The poor kid. He doesn't say anything about it and I didn't want to say anything either, but I would like to get rid of the smell. Or am I doomed and need to install new floor?

Thank you for any help.

Comments (8)