Yay! Crab is back!

nancyjane_gardener

The crab fishermen finally came to a price agreement, and we should be getting crab in the next couple of days!

Something to be happy about!

SaveComment8Like1
Comments (8)
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
sushipup1

Oh, break my heart, will ya! We used to live close enough to Moss Landing to get the crabs still warm from the pot and stop at Pezzini's for artichokes as well. Here in Philly, we're lucky to catch the previously frozen Dungeness at Costco or sometimes other markets. Fresh Market usually has decent artichokes, but not the best. And no one has real sourdough bread.

Of all the things I miss.... Enjpy!

Save    
John Liu

Yaay!

Where is this forsaken place, where you have been without crab?

Save    
sushipup1

We moved to the Philadelphia 'burbs just 2 blocks outside Chestnut Hill 4-1/2 years ago when Jim retired, very close to our son and his family. As hard as it was to leave Monterey, we were all alone there, except for friends, no close family anymore. So Dungeness is a great treat, even if it's previously frozen. The Costco seafood kiosk has previously frozen from Russian ships that crab in the Aleutians.

Save    
nancyjane_gardener

We are in Sonoma County, north of SF. The crab season was put off several times because the whales were migrating and no one wants the whales to get tangled in the crab equipment, including the crabbers!

They were finally cleared right before xmas, but the fisheries refused to pay $3 per pound! (hell these crabbers were getting $3 pp 10 years ago!) Finally settled on $2.75 pp.

Looking forward to crab, artichokes, salad and a BIG loaf of french bread!

Sorry Sushi! ;)

1 Like Save    
leahikesgardenspdx

John, the crab we have had here was frozen. I have a friend from Newport, he grew up commercial fishing there. He said the crabbers may have settled for the $2.75/lb but they haven't been able to get out. There have been 20 ft plus swells, just too rough for the fleet.

Save    
Islay Corbel

I'm intrigued by the artichokes. Where are they grown to be in season? Here, it's a summer veg.

Save    
sushipup1

We lived near Castroville, California, on the Monterey Bay, and the coastal counties of Monterey, Santa Cruz and San Mateo are responsible for 70% of the US production. They are grown year round. There is also some production in Southern CA, even milder climate. Mexico also produces artichokes year round.

Save    
sleevendog (5a NY 6aNYC NL CA)

A consumer at the grocery store level like we were for years, accepting the seasonal produce looking great for 6 weeks, then ugly....like artichokes. Then during covid seeing artichokes from a wholesaler opened up to household ordering...crazy the quality we can get as they have a 50+ year relationship with the grower. Supplying NYC fancy restaurants.

We have been fortunate to have better than fresh in NYC. For years. But nothing like I've been getting from the wholesaler, or even Misfits. So much better than shopping in person deciding on what looks good here and there. (so crazy I would most enjoy a delivery over shopping in person).

So, most get the ok semi-fresh dregs....then the outer groceries in remote most poor communities get the even less fresh, they call the 'wasteland' of semi-fresh. So processed/frozen it is. Fresh is not so great. Frozen/processed and cans are the best option.

Back on point. About fisheries....we have good friends that are commercial fishermen on the GrandBanks. Think 'DeadliestCatch'. Intense work. (they were filmed BBC). And an organic dairy farmer friend....hearing the daily struggles is brain marbles to me. What they deal with in regulations and quotas, immense debt. Yet passion for their chosen life love of personal commerce. Taking care of their families.

Makes me more and more aware who gets my money. Direct to farm?. Local farm share and add-on selections like eggs. Bones for stock and chicken necks and feets...pasture raised...cheap. So supportive/excited that local farms are thriving now.

Save    
Browse Gardening and Landscaping Stories on Houzz See all Stories
Trees Crab Apple Trees Set Off a Stylish English Courtyard
A structure of pleached crab apple trees, bordered by a wildflower meadow, links a minimalist addition to an old house in Buckinghamshire
Full Story
Tile Double Take: Is That a Little Blue Crab Crawling up the Fireplace?
Handmade local accent tiles bring sea critter personality to this coastal Cape Cod living room
Full Story
Color Beige Is Back: Designers Share 10 Beautiful Warm Paint Colors
Enthusiasm for cool grays has waned, and warm neutrals have returned. See which beige and greige tones designers prefer
Full Story