Are you a better person than you were a year ago?
5 years ago
Featured Answer
Sort by:Oldest
Comments (50)
- 5 years ago
- 5 years ago
Related Discussions
When did you realize you were a 'plant' person?
Comments (11)Many of you have said how gardening is therapuetic, and I agree with that. The longer this thread goes on the more I think it is therapeutic. :) I miss my grandmother as well, but she had no influence on my love for gardens. I am 32 years old. When I was a kid, I guess I was in denial a little bit. I loved to play outside like most kids, except I wasnt playing ball with the other boys. I would go dam up the creek so I could dig out a waterfall in it. Then release the dam and see the effects my efforts had. I spent years in boyscouts skipping merit badge classes at camp to go out and do similar things as well as catch critters... all kinds... snakes ...lizards.. chipmunks...scorpions.. turtles... But this was only so I could take them somwhere and design their new home with plants and all.... I am probably going way to far in this post ....but here is the level of my nerdom. When I was 12 a freind showed me the JRR Tolkien book "The Hobbit". I loved the mental imageof "the Shire" it instilled in my head . So a freind and I went out into the woods and created a miniature version of the shire using moss, algae, small plants, and rocks. Later in life I rented houses and always told myself it was a waste to garden or landscape since it wasnt my property. Then I bought my first house and got married. My wife and her family brought me out of my denial. I had a nice size lot, and my in-laws lived in the country with TONS of land. It was designers dream. They let me help with plant selections and locations and then it began. Since then (5 years and counting) I have been an addict. My wife and I's entertainment is to just walk around different nurseries. Its outta control... My parents took our kids for the weekend.... and the first night my wife and I just spent at three different nurseries. The next day we planted our prizes. That evening we went on a garden tour of Powell Gardens. And the last day we spent designing our next project. This probably does not qualify me as a plant person, but I am a landscaper junky. My lot is maybe 130' X 50', and in the last two years here is what I have done: Built: 3 retaining walls 18' X 15' Rock patio Planted: 3 trees 6 hostas 5 wild grasses 2 lilac trees 3 hydrangeas 2 wisteria 3 clematis 4 Phlox 60 assorted bulbs (hyacinths, tulips, alliums etc.) 60 stepables(elfin thyme and irish moss on patio between stones) 6 daylilies (not the ditch kind, for you greenguy and Ken) 6 Mums 4 Elepahant ears 5 Coleus 2 Crape Myrtles and Im sure I am missing some other stuff... and that is all on my little bitty property, not to mention what I have done at my In-Laws. so I guess im well on my way to being a "plant person"...See MoreWhat were you doing when you were 21 years old?
Comments (73)Lets see for me that was 10 years ago. I had been married for 4 years,had a 4 year old daughter, and 1 year old son. I was a stay at home mom. Now Im 31 been happily married for 14 years (considering that me and hubby were 17 when we married,I think were doing pretty good),have a 14 year old teenager (who will be in high school next year),and 11 year old son (who will be in middle school). They both consider us OLD! Weve added a min-pin and great dane. Oh ya,and I work full-time now. Even though we had some tough times I wouldnt trade my life for the world! :0) -Smile247...See MoreHow on earth do you obtain a copy of a utility bill from 36 years ago?
Comments (18)Good Luck on this. Several years ago I found that the State of California was holding several hundred dollars for me apparently from an old brokerage account that dated back to the 1960ties-early 1970ties when I was still single & lived at the apartment house address shown for me. I sent them all kinds of photos of documents, including a copy of our marriage certificate changing my name & an old passport from 1967. I thought all would be sufficient, but no. I got very angry on the phone, telling them that I thought what I had supplied them already was sufficient for something going back almost 40 years, & I'd like my money. She said she'd "talk to her supervisor", and a few weeks later I received the check in the mail. One thing I did have that I never sent was a stamped envelope from 1966, inviting me to a friend's wedding shower, which plainly showed my "maiden name" & the correct address from 40 years ago. I felt I had jumped through enough hoops by that time. Currently I have about $4.00 being held by the unclaimed property division of the State of California, but it's hardly worth my trouble to apply for it considering the foregoing experience....See MoreTo those better at this than me.....(i.e. all of you)
Comments (40)Yes I would suggest only giving them food stuff or a bottle of wine and requesting the same from them. Also say very directly that we are trying to minimize stuff in our house so we don't want any more tchotchkes and things like that. Of course you might have someone who is not compliant to your ideas of how to do things. This hasn't worked very well with one sister for me. She is very determined to give me every single angel that ever was made in Christmas land. I just pack most of them up and send them on their way to Salvation Army excetera and tell her that. Telling everyone else directly that I don't want any more things just perishable treats Etc and I will do the same has worked great for most of my family....See More- 5 years ago
- 5 years ago
- 5 years ago
- 5 years ago
- 5 years ago
- 5 years agolast modified: 5 years ago
- 5 years agolast modified: 5 years ago
- 5 years ago
- 5 years ago
- 5 years ago
- 5 years ago
- 5 years ago
- 5 years ago
- 5 years ago
- 5 years ago
- 5 years ago
- 5 years ago
- 5 years agolast modified: 5 years ago
- 5 years ago
- 5 years ago
- 5 years agolast modified: 5 years ago
- 5 years ago
- 5 years ago
- 5 years ago
- 5 years ago
- 5 years ago
- 5 years ago
- 5 years agolast modified: 5 years ago
- 5 years ago
- 5 years ago
- 5 years agolast modified: 5 years ago
- 5 years ago
- 5 years ago
- 5 years ago
- 5 years agolast modified: 5 years ago
- 5 years ago
- 5 years ago
- 5 years ago
- 5 years agolast modified: 5 years ago
- 5 years ago
- 5 years ago
- 5 years agolast modified: 5 years ago
- 5 years agolast modified: 5 years ago
- 5 years ago
- 5 years ago
- 5 years ago
- 5 years ago
Related Stories

LIGHTING3 Ways LED Lights Are Better Than Ever
See how improved technology has made LED lightbulbs smaller, brighter and more colorful
Full Story
ARCHITECTURE85 Years Ago, These Still-Standing Model Homes Saw the Future
The 5 remaining houses from the 1933 Chicago World’s Fair are still teaching us about innovative design
Full Story
MOST POPULAR40 Dogs Who Are Having a Way Better Summer Than You
Houzzers share pics of their canine companions living it up — or getting down with relaxing — on warm days
Full Story
FURNITURE6 Decades-Old Designs That Look Better Than Ever
After getting a few nips and tucks, some favorites from the ’60s and ’70s have made a stylish comeback
Full Story
HOMES AROUND THE WORLDHouzz Tour: Personal Warmth in a 90-Year-Old Swedish Villa
A family outfits its 1926 seaside home with a mix of modern and traditional furnishings and a clear vision of home as sanctuary
Full Story
LATEST NEWS FOR PROFESSIONALSHow to Set Better Business Goals for the Coming Year
A new year brings new opportunities to look ahead and build a better home-centric business
Full Story0

KITCHEN DESIGNGet Ideas From This Year’s Top 20 Kitchen Tours
Smart storage, functionality for cooks and families, vintage touches and lots of personality mark your favorites of 2015
Full Story
LIFE11 Easy Ways to Keep Your New Year’s Resolutions
Work smarter, not harder, to reach your goals — success is more about taking the right approach than about slogging your way there
Full Story
KITCHEN DESIGNIdeas From the Year’s Top 10 Kitchens of the Week
Get inspired by the found objects, reclaimed hardware, efficient storage and work zones in our top kitchens of 2016
Full Story
FLOWERSSneak a Peek at Some of Next Year’s Irresistible New Roses
Here are top 2018 picks for beautiful blooms, lovely fragrances and exceptional disease resistance
Full Story

lucillle