What to do with a glut of parsley?

nancyofnc

Garden was prolific this year - snow coming, must harvest.

SaveComment14Like
Comments (14)
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
plllog

You can wash and chop, then form into marble sized balls or blobs or ingots, and freeze on a tray.

Make lots and lots of tabouleh.

Chimichurri or pesto.

Salsa verde.

Juice.

Wrap a roast in it with a drop of oil to make it stick.

Parsley bread or cookies, or both.

Green rice.

Parsley salt.

Hula skirts for yappy little dogs.

Lots and lots of garnish.

Parsley and mint "candy" breath fresheners.

A veg matter base for slow cooking or roasting.

Parsley soda.

Herb salads.

Dried and flaked or dehydrated.

Sachets.

Smoothies.

Popsicles.

Parsley mayo for chicken salad.

Save    
Olychick

My favorite use of it is to tightly pack the cavity of a roasting chicken with parsley and roast as usual. The parsley imparts a lot of moisture into the chicken...delicious every time!

Add it to pesto...either straight parsley pesto or mix with basil, freeze for future use.

Save    
Lars

Tabbouleh is the best use for a huge amount of parsley, since it is mostly parsley, but you also need a bit of mint, which I always have in my yard.

I also make chimichurri sauce and freeze that, which can be used later as a marinade.

1 Like Save    
nandina

A familiar problem which I solved years ago using a Louise Tate King recipe from her Martha's Vineyard Cookbook. I make a large batch of this recipe, freezing it in usable portions and defrosting some when needed to use as follows. "This stuffing will be sufficient for a small chicken to be baked, or for stuffing fillets such as flounder or small haddock."

Excellent wrapped in chicken breasts that have been pounded flat, basted with butter and baked.

PARSLEY STUFFING

1 and 1/2 cups soft bread crumbs. preferably made from day old French or Italian bread

1 cup coarsely chopped fresh parsley

1 medium onion, grated

1 teaspoon ground sage (a little more if fresh is used)

Fresh ground pepper to taste

Juice of 1/2 lemon

1 teaspoon soy sauce

2 tablespoons melted butter or vegetable oil

Combine all ingredients and mix well with a fork

This recipe freezes well.

Save    
agmss15

I make a green sauce with parsley - olive oil, salt, pepper and parsley along with whatever else I feel like. Lemon zest, garlic, chilies, other herbs... I grind it in a blender and freeze in 1/2 cup jars.

It adds a bright freshness to any dish and a brilliant green color.

Btw it should come through snow fine. It survives my winters in Maine most of the time.

1 Like Save    
carolb_w_fl_coastal_9b

I love tempura made with parsley.

Save    
lindac92

Dry in the microwave....the smell and flavor of your own dried parsley is amazing!!
Put a bunch on a paper towel and run the microwave for 20 seconds on high....open the door to let out the moisture and turn....repeat for1 0 seconds....and eventually go 3 to 5 seconds at a time until it's all dry.

1 Like Save    
Islay Corbel

Chop and freeze. You'll be glad to have it over winter and spring.

Save    
HU-753479426

My parsley stays green all winter in a pot near my south facing chimney, so does my rosemary.

1 Like Save    
Lars

Parsley is a winter crop for me, and it will grow in cracks in the concrete. It tends to bolt in the summer, however.

1 Like Save    
carolb_w_fl_coastal_9b

I grow it in containers and manage to keep it alive through the summer here by putting it in partial shade. It's a biennial so it should last for a year and more before bolting.

2 Likes Save    
mxk3

Yes tabbouleh!

I've never stuffed a chicken with parsley, I'll have to try that.

Save    
sleevendog (5a NY 6aNYC NL CA)

2020, obviously covid induced, did some catapults outside my comfort zone in the kitchen. Fortunately positive. I did all above and then some. A few I've done for years but some new ones. I had an unexpected harvest abundance of mint, par-cel, beet tops, and celery tops...and minimal parsley. So I ordered parsley form a local supplier. Good grief. They sent a restaurant supply amount as well as abundant kales and collars and chard and celery and leeks....a bit fooled by the prices. This was just before Thanksgiving. A veg delivery box sent three boxes of mushrooms I did not order or charged for...

I think the most successful was the mirepoix that I froze in 1/4 pints. Some quart freezer zip-locks flat packed. And a mushroom ragu I froze.

Another good one is Vivian's LittleGreenDress from her recent book. If you like making dressings/condiments and using them many ways...it is a good one. Only if you like a briney condiment similar to a muffuletta type sandwich salad condiment.

The recipe is on the pages Amazon....page 10 I think.

HERE

Save    
Lars

I just checked my back yard today and noticed that I have tons of parsley right now, and so I will try to use some of the ideas here for it. I have all the ingredients for tabbouleh except tomatoes, and so I might start with chimichurri.

The other thing I have a lot of right now is lemons, and I do not have freezer space for them.

Save    
Browse Gardening and Landscaping Stories on Houzz See all Stories
Gardening Guides 10 Easy Edibles for First-Time Gardeners
Focus on these beginner-friendly vegetables, herbs, beans and salad greens to start a home farm with little fuss
Full Story
Feel-Good Home 21 Ways to Waste Less at Home
Whether it's herbs rotting in the fridge or clothes that never get worn, most of us waste too much. Here are ways to make a change
Full Story
Farm Your Yard My Houzz: Backyard Farming for a Kansas City Family
A backyard garden provides a family of 5 with organic seasonal produce. Here's how they do it
Full Story
With over 25 years experience, Good Star Homes provides design and remodeling services for every room in your... Read More