SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
plllog

Gravel pasta

plllog
3 years ago
last modified: 3 years ago

I'm having a hard time appreciating the gravel. I can't remember the Italian word. It was imported very fine pasta of the brass die variety, but I don‘t know how it came to my pantry. The bag got torn, so I boiled up all of it, rather than the bit I was going to use in a dish. I often do that anyway—make a whole package and use it over a few days. It's really weird stuff. Larger than couscous, about a third of the size of “Israeli couscous“, not round. It looks like it was cut or extruded with a square cross section, and sliced, making irregular shaped bits. But also unlike couscous, this is a very firm pasta with eggs (though dried), and doesn‘t soak up extra liquid, so it doesn‘t have a soft or grain like mouthfeel, but is too small to chew effectively. I'm thinking it might soften more in soup....or just make gravelly soup! It did fine in the first dish as a binder with a thick sauce, so I've been wondering about baking it in a custard. Or maybe in a heavy mac and cheese. I used some in a breakfast bake, and it wasn't good. The cheese rejected it, and did its own thing. The pasta didn't even pick up the fat.

I could just think on it until it gets moldy, and toss it (like mold would dare try to make inroads in such high falutin’ pasta!)

Anyone use “gravel” successfully? Or know what it was meant for? (Spaghetti from the same company is outstanding—it's just the gravel shape that's the challenge.)

Comments (42)